Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Yes, that’s expected behavior. sincM has less delay at 705.6/768k and 1.4112/1.536M PCM rates, not to even mention DSD output rates. Every time you double the output sample rate, sincM delay cuts to half.

2 Likes

I see there have been a few updates recently but I have no idea how to update if I have it installed on my Antipodes CX.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Goto apps > software manager and do an update Even though the version of antipodes is the same 2.7. If there updates for your installed software it will update. There is one for HQPlayer embedded. The naa hasn’t updated yet.

1 Like

Software Update on the Antipodes will update HQPlayer Server to 4.15.2.

1 Like

If anyone has some spare time… Could you just do a quick a/b between sincM and minringFIR-mp and tell me what your perceived differences in sound are? Just curious if it is similar to what I’m hearing. I enjoy sincM a lot but find I am preferring minringFIR more and more.

1 Like

Very nice. Vocals seem a bit more pushed forward along with upper mids. Having owned an mscaler I keep returning to sinc-m or poly-sinc-long-lp. I still feel HQPlayer sounds a bit better than mscaler and I do not miss it.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that feels that sincM gives a somewhat narrow stereo-image? And of course the latency is annoying.

I like miniringFIR-mp though!

1 Like

Your preferences with the RME ADI-2?
I stopped DSD (some blanks … I guess my core i5 is too light)
And everything works perfectly with PCM and for now I appreciate the poly-sin-ext2 + LNS5 … more material on lives.
Which shaper with minirFIR-mp filter?

Not sure, I use LNS15 shaper and up-sample to 705/768, testing the miniringFIR-mp now but mostly used poly-sinc-short-mp or poly-sinc-ext2.

1 Like

Im now trying Poly-sinc-ext2 (from Poly-sinc-long-mp) but still with NS5. I think I prefer NS5 over LNS15

So far im liking the overall balance

And this is not a filter, but a really positive upgrade with a good power supply the RME : HDPlex + DC iPurifier.
Yet I thought there was nothing to be gained from the power supply.

I think NS5 and LNS5 are similar but depend on the context (DAC chips and freq 352 vs 705).

I run mine on a 12V 20Ah LiFePo4 battery (lasts more than a day, charge at night). Costs around $150 with charger.

1 Like

@jussi_laako I run convolution in HQPlayer, and input sample rate is usually 44 to 96 (MQA gets unpacked by Roon). Which sample rate should i use for the convolution filter for best sound quality (I have from 44 to 768).

Highest rate you can create, but usually 352.8k or 384k is well enough to cover all frequencies that source content could possibly have, including DSD content. For example relatively recent versions of Acourate can create filters up to 384k with brickwall extension.

I use REW and seem to recall someone mentioning that REW gets accuracy problems (or something similar) with convolution at higher sample rates

I have an r2r…so not sure if that makes a difference?

Not sure this is in relation to my reply?

I was just replying to your statement that NS5 and LNS15 are very similar…and depends on my chip in my DAC

I have an Aqua La Scala MkII Optologic DAC which is an R2R DAC.

I tried convolution. So maybe not with the best settings (Umik + REW). Each time, I lose in natural. I prefer some EQ settings on the RME.

curve corrected in green.

I changed… my reply was for Magnus post :wink: