Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

You can send me logs over email.

But first thing to check is whether your license key is valid from /about page of the web interface.

Looking forward to trying whatever you come up with :slight_smile:

I have tried sinc-s, but it sounds ā€œstandardā€ to meā€¦ as if I had plugged in any good audio source. Sinc-m just has that little bit moreā€¦ somethingā€¦ that goes beyond sinc-s and sounds more natural to me.

1 Like

:smile: letā€™s try and help you then ! Use ext2 with the boss ! Reliable!

Help, Iā€™ve been thrown under a bus :smiley:

In my own defence, there was no mention of sinc-M in our last chat?

And back in February, you discussed sinc-M with Jussi (same issues as now?) and you settled on sinc-S and ext2

Answering @dabassgoesboomboom!

No, no, no! There is no intention to throw you under a bus or any other vehicle!!! :smiley:

When I wrote got the idea, I ment I understood from you reply, what happens with latency when choosing the Sinc-M. No worries, mate, not at all the type to blame others than myself. It is a full time job itself ā€¦

No I thank you instead, for the comments full of insight I get from you as addition to Jussis.

Hope this straighten things out? Weā€™re good? :blush:

1 Like

LOL all good @Stefan_Andersson1 , it was my misunderstanding.

Bosses are impatient so cannot use long latency and keep him waiting :smiley:

I hope the demo goes well. We donā€™t want you to be toast !

In general my filter of choice shifted recently. I am working at a HiFi company with developing ā€œthingsā€ and while assessing the prototype performance I realized an almost pitch black wall of silence from the electronics, whick allowed me to really in depth listen to the full flavour of Sinc-M. It is beyond anything within my references. Truly. Today I got confirmation from my company that the protype is indeed splendid. They will shortly build, according to my suggestions, their own HQPlayer computers and also to their showroom of their beautifully crafted products. Sinc-M is highly addictive, but there is usually no one with silence enough to fully appreciate the filter performance. Now, after a couple of days, I am one of them. It brings sound stage, silence, all high notes and bass transient peak performance to a level hard to imagine until experienced oneself. The level of details is simply astonishing. Myself, I cannot imagine myself without it any longer.
But, as said, too much HiFi gear is not silent enough, not even really expensive high end.

Dabassgoesboomboom, the demo went so good. They decided to fully engage me in coming product development for the next year. Not even medium rare ā€¦

So now, Jussi, I am going to check how to make a good log file for you, to perhaps understand what is going on, and off course check that tha software key and authorisation is still good.

2 Likes

Did you check license key is working on the ā€œAboutā€ page at the bottom of the HQPe page?

If it shows ā€œtrialā€ then music will stop playing every 30 minutes.

If it shows your name, then thereā€™s no issue with license key. But itā€™s good to check as Jussi suggested.

Your CPU should have no issues at all.

ext2 works reliably or not with your new PC?

It says trial!!! How can it be, I have the key, but the software will not accept it. It is an XML-file from the email I got from registering and paying, I downloaded it again, but it will not work. Is it one time key entering only? Thats strange, how will I dare to experiment with computer hardware, in that case?

1 Like

Problem solved !

For new Embedded hardware you need to send Jussi the ā€œfingerprintā€ of your new hardware and he will send you a new key to upload.

You should see the new ā€œfingerprintā€ on the ā€œAboutā€ page too. Send that to him in an email.

Each license key for Embedded is unique for hardware. New hardware needs new key.

Then your problems should be over ! I hope.

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom
Thanks a lot man for explaining, I should really have understood, the fingerprint issue is hardware based, sometime a number of years ago, I had a colormeter for my screen as I am also freelancing a bit as photographer, and that company had the computer checksum as key for licensing. A bit troublesome, though. I deal with product development, and my employer is really getting into the computer playback leage, so I look forward to some fiddling with computers soon.

@jussi_laako
You got mail, asking humbly for a new key :blush:

1 Like

No worries, happy to help.

If you stay only in PCM upsampling world (i.e. not DSD) then your new PC will last you many years to come - plenty of power for PCM domain.

1 Like

Yes, DSD can easily consume all your processing and them some. I have a good high end workstation, and still need an NVidia graphics card with CUDA capabilities to get upsampling to DSD 256 using ASDM7EC to run smoothly.

However, if you have the chance, try that combination out. You talk about ā€œmagicā€, that combo has it.

Not sure what it would take to get DSD 512 to run smoothly with that modulator, if the hardware even exists at the moment. @jussi_laako ?

I will as long as I playback through my JBL studio monitors. But the future is something I have learned never to predict, so anywhere between a day, or a number of years I will find myself with an entirely different rig, I guess. There is however something very interesting with monitor listening, it combines the good things of headphones with speakers.
The filters to explore and evaluate ā€œworksā€ or at least sounds different depending how well I am able to control the unwanted sounds from the rig. The quieter the rig, the better the really heavy filter sounds so far.
It have really puzzled a good friend of mine who is managing a movie sound company (enric productions) and the filter effects of HQP, he says is nothing but a new master, made irl by the software. No wonder it is CPU demanding. He thinks the sound is impressive and sounds just about how he would mix and master music. So that is another victory for Jussi!
I donā€™t think I will ever stop using HQP, unless I become deaf ā€¦

1 Like

I have an i9-9900K doing DSD256 + ASDM7EC with no seperate GPU. No issues with ext2 filter for many months now.

Do you need the GPU to handle convolution of DSD content/music?

Doesnā€™t exist (for real time upsampling).

Needs double speed required for DSD256, so CPU running at approx. 8GHz (2 cores for stereo).

1 Like

The difference between your cpu and my i7-9770k. :grinning:

Plus, I game so I have the GPU anyway.

All good but Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve seen 8700K and even 7700K users doing the same, without convolution. Thatā€™s why I asked if you were doing convolution or not.

With Embedded though.

Dunno if thatā€™s on Windows like I am.

No Convolution. On Windows. It will play but have dropouts every so often, which is every so often too much, lol. Not a dedicated machine either.

1 Like

i7-9700K can do it alone without issues on Embedded. I know a guy on a different forum doing that.

But if itā€™s on Windows which is also running Roon, they might cause CPU usage spikes that trip up HQP I guess.

Or maybe itā€™s something else. Hmmm maybe we can help you out now that Stefan is on his way to being sorted lol.

Thanks, but, it is smooth as butter with the GPU.

Ah cool then, I thought you meant it stuttered sometimes with GPU.

Seems like everyoneā€™s well sorted here now LOL