Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

@dabassgoesboomboom
No, the EXT2, or Sinc-S does not display same behaviour. Only Sinc-M, have not tried yet Sinc-L.
Interesting phenomena, guess we will hear a good explanation from Jussi in short. Hope there is away around it, I can live with latency in start-up, but these cuts are a bit annoying, I admit. Perhaps it is as simple as “no can’t do” impossible in software. I just have to accept that, but unwillingly :slight_smile: I cannot stop loving the sound and the phenomenal silence behind the music. And when in love you get darn crazy … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeh that’s strange behaviour, because apart from the latency, sinc-M and sinc-S behave identical to me.

Do you hear a big difference in sound quality between sinc-M and sinc-S?

Jussi has said, sinc-S is very similar to sinc-M but more “sensible”.

I hear the difference clearly. But we are talking subtle refinements, but having the studio rig at home, it is very revealing and the years I have spent on investigation and later actually correcting most of the sloppy budget design cuts also in expensive gear, I have reached a level of silence that rellay stands out. My dear friend who have exactly same setup, in his company making movie sound and off course also music in the movies, says he would really like to have the transparency I have achieved, but see also the risc of having something to mix and master in that will not appear the same in most peoples homes and gear. I told him to look at Jussi’s pro HQP but he’s now trying to imlement the power cleaners I have built, to reduce the mains noise. He would never go the extra mile and open the gear and correct the quite basic flaws in internal power handling and signal in and outputs.
Until there is anything that will cure the behaviour, I will do with Sinc-S. It is good too, but there is a difference… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, what studio monitors do you use?

At my home desk I use Genelec 8341A’s (plus sub under desk).

1 Like

Rogers 5/9

Ciao Giovanni.

1 Like

sensible. :rofl: Jussi is funny. A sensible audiophile. lol.

I accidently grayed instead of checked Auto Family Rate once trying to trouble shoot a few things and it was like the world stopped. It worked for 48k files but as soon as a non-48k track started the conversion process for hqplayer to change the sampling rate to an uneven integer was unplayable. 16/44.1 > DSD256 48k and it was not happy at all!

How long of a delay are you getting at start of track with the Sinc-M filter?
I have about a 5 sec wait on a 48k > 12.288M

2 Likes

I use JBL LSR 4328P together with the corresponding sub-woofer LSR 4312SP. People who knows their way around much of studio gear, says the JBL’s is not so far off from Genelec, but I do not know very many models from Genelec.

1 Like

@ffk The latency is far more for me, from 44.1 to 88.2 is about 15-16 seconds. Don’t know why, but there it is. And I have a killer computer now, with I9 10900 10 coes, 20 threads, 4000 Mhz RAM and an Asus motherboard with the Z490 chipset tailored for fast machines.

Which version of Embedded are you running?

The version booting from USB stick?

Or you installed Ubuntu or something else?

By definition, 1 million tap filter will have 500k samples delay. There is no way around that. Since 96k sampling rate plays about 100k samples per second, you have a 5 second delay.

sinc-M was never intended to be used at rates lower than 705.6k. There is no technical reason why you cannot, but it just means the delay becomes increasingly annoying as sampling rate gets lower.

1 Like

also @dabassgoesboomboom
Sinc-M gets me about 15 seconds delay, not 5. I unerstand your calculation, but it does not add up in my rig. Might there be some reasons in a computer why the latency is bigger? Perhaps Roon ROCK source computer? Some other reason? I assumed 16 GB of really fast memories would be sufficient? The USB memory stick is a USB3, but no later version, like 3.1 or so.
I use the complete embedded HQP integrated in OS, one complete image with OS and HQP.
I understand theintention, Jussi, no worries. But I do hear the difference. The latency does not bother me, especially when playing an album. But the playlist with different souce rates, cutting the end of ongoing playback and add a new latency beginning of next, is strange. It seems unable to have read ahead and proper gaps between tracks when sample rate differs from ongoing track to the next.

Sounds like Roon misbehavior due to longer delay. Can you reproduce this with HQPlayer’s library and HQPlayer Client? Having 10 seconds tail-out-tail-in time (5 + 5 seconds) between tracks is to be expected.

IIR for upsampling PCM is my favorite for months now. The most analoge sounding OS. Why is it not recommended to perform more than 2x or 3x OS with IIR? 16x IIR sounds very fine to me.

Yes it works fine, it is just technically at it’s best at those lower ratios.

Thanks! I will leave the max sampling rate on 768khz then. I would kindly request some more IIR variations. HQPlayer als lots of different kinds of SINC oversampling, but only one IIR? For example an IIR-light filter, which would be less steep.

2 Likes

Funny, I’d prefer more steep. I too like the sound of IIR, but more high frequencies are always desired. Passband ripple would probably become too much at that point though. IIR is probably the filter than requires the most compromise and black magic to design.

But yeah, sign me up for a filter with no preringing that sounds linear and passes 0.9+ nyquist :grin::rofl:

I cannot get rid of stutters with DSD512 ext2 ASDM7EC on a Windows 9900K+2080Ti. Tried with CUDA checked too. No NAA, USB direct to DAC (Holo May). Any ideas?

This was discussed last week above, see here:

Which HQP Filter are you using? - #1326 by dabassgoesboomboom

Might work maybe with an Apple Silicon M2 chip (we’ll have to wait and see).

Unless something drastically changes with Intel chips, would need CPU with base speeds around 8GHz (2 cores for stereo).

Nobody on earth can do DSD512 with EC modulators in real-time - but you can do offline processing with HQP Pro version, if you want to hear what it sounds like.

2 Likes

Ah I see. Thanks for the insight. Looks like I’ll stick w/ DSD256 7EC.

2 Likes

I can understand why you would like a more extended hf response. IIR can sound a little bit dull in the hf. But the tonality and the organic midrange is excellent. For example, I now can’t listen to a violin with anything other than IIR. Very recommended for a R2R dac.

2 Likes