Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but here how ext3 works for me:

• 768khz, no adaptive sample rate: CPU 16% (8 threads so uses one core 100%), and gives gaps in playback every 5 seconds or so.
  • 768khz, adaptive sample rate: CPU 3%, playback works as it should
  • For comparison, ext2 uses around 2% CPU to 768khz

Another thing: the apod counter, is that something one should check? Is it bad (like limited) if it goes up?

I get something similar in terms of performance on my i7 9700 also upscalling to DSD 256, I am tempted to overclock my PC again to see if I can get it running. I have set up like @my_changed_username suggested for now.

How is the new Apod counter to be interpreted? Seems to be climbing into the thousands.

Results are for i9 9900k on macOS 10.14.6 (processor seems to be throttling happily between 3.5 and 4.9Ghz) Hyperthreading is enabled so double the % to get a more accurate usage of the 8 cores.

poly-sinc-ext3 ASDM7EC

• 18.2% 44.1/16 > DSD256
  • 25.0% 88.2/24 > DSD256
  • 27.0% 96/24 > DSD256 48K
  • 37.7% 176.4/24 > DSD256
  • 41.0% 192/24 > DSD256 48k
  • 12.5% DSD64 > DSD256
  • 13.2% DSD128 > DSD256

:clap: @jussi_laako Iā€™m not sure what you did but compared to the previous builds, v4.11.0 is working great on my hackintosh. I have not changed any of the config and I am now able to use all but 2 (sinc Mx and sinc L) of the filters with ASDM7EC upto DSD256 48k rates from the OS X appā€¦ no more windows! :smiley:

I am currently giving the cpu a workout with the new ext3 filter. Itā€™s a bit heavy on all cores but is working flawlessly and sounds great. :+1:

I also like the addition of the anodizing detection count. Donā€™t remember seeing that in the previous build. :+1:

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Thanks, that is just what I wanted, working on SDM (DSD) for me.

I like ext3 for 1x. Transients seem to have a bit more oomph. I suspect that the difference between ext2 and ext3 would be less pronounced for Nx as the Nyquist frequency is shifted further away from audible range.

@jussi_laako What sort of events in a file will set off the new Apod counter?

My redbook files, hi-res files, and Qobuz streams all have Apod counter jumping into 1000+ by the end of track. Not sure what to make of it.

Yes, this is what the ā€œ1xā€ and ā€œNxā€ filters are for. Filter selected for ā€œ1xā€ will be used for sources having sample rate <= 50 kHz. While filter selected for ā€œNxā€ will be used for sources having sample rate > 50 kHz.

1 Like

It is not black and white figure. But roughly; if you get figure below or around 100 during a song then you donā€™t necessarily need an apodizing filter. If you get figure over 1000 during a song then you certainly need an apodizing filter.

If you are using apodizing filter on content that doesnā€™t necessarily need one - completely fine - no harm. If you are using on-apodizing filter on content that needs one, then you are reproducing errors in the source content and your output signal is not a good representation of the original analog signal.

Note: the detector works only for original or down-sampled source content.

1 Like

Yeah, it can be somewhat heavy, but works nicely on the newer 8+ core CPUs.

Note that oversampling filter selection doesnā€™t apply for these cases. Only SDM integrator and conversion algorithm selection in ā€œDSD Source Settingsā€ and modulator choice.

Seems to be continuing mystery, since I cannot quickly figure out what it could beā€¦ :smiley: But I hope it will stay this way.

1 Like

I had the same issue with ext3 and music over 96K. Changed to Ext2 for high res and ext3 for CD quality sources, as you did. Works fine.

1 Like

What is it that the Apod counter detects in a file to make it tick up? Im guessing counts around 200 to 600 probably mean an apodizing filter is necessary.

How do we know if a filter is apodizing? Would be nice to have some indicator in HQP.

When will you release a version of HQPlayer Embedded that support the new ext3 filter?

Itā€™s in the manual. Has been for years

I searched the manual for ā€˜apodizingā€™ and got 0 results.

@jfx Check out my post in this same thread 3 weeks ago with screenshot from the manualā€¦ and look at the right column.

Been there for years.

Did not see that column. Thanks for pointing it out!

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone back to an old favourite (combo).

A bit of a slower roll-off for PCM 44.1/48k content but then ultra fast roll-off brickwall for higher rates.

Hey guys

For the following setup:
Core pc running hqplayer
Ethernet
Raspberry pi4 NAA
Usb to dac (Rockna Wavelight, capable of dsd512 on usb)

Anyone know why I canā€™t up sample to dsd512?
I have tried ext2 and ext3, asdm7ec, dsd 64 and 128 without issues. But when I set hqplayer to 256 or 512, roon just plays back as 128.