Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Do not enable “Adaptive output rate”. Likely your DAC doesn’t support DSD at multiples of 48k (and in any case it is not enabled). So set the rate limit to a multiple of 44.1k.

In addition, you’d likely have better success with lighter filter like poly-sinc-ext2.

I don’t get any studdering, any sampling rate ext3 ASDM7EC DSD256 (44.1 & 48k rates)… I don’t use CUDA as I can’t on 10.15.7. All processor.

Since the post I’ve upgraded to 10.15.7…

All ok here too. I have no stuttering. Sounds fantastic.
I am a happy HQP costumer.

Maybe it is a Windows vs Mac thing. But I get stutter on ext3 w/o CUDA on my 9900K. Works fine if I turn CUDA on though. (2080Ti)

1 Like

Hi Jussi, thanks for the answer. Yes, right now I have exactly the same configuration after trying different ones.

44.1 to DSD64 → ext3 and ASDM7ec
Nx: ext2 or xtr-mp + ASDM7ec

PCM: ext3 and NS9

Using a dual setup where HQP(96khz 24bit)->MiniDSP SHD(96khz 32bit)->HQP(192khz 18bit)->Schiit Bifrost 2, with mixed phase Dirac Live Correction done in the SHD. Any suggestion on the HQP settings that would make sense? The first filtter prob has to be apodizing. Little convoluted but need the 4x16k taps for dual sub phase integration. :slight_smile:

I think I’m right in saying that the Antipodes CX uses Sonicorbiter OS. I got an update yesterday to my Sonicorbiter OS v2.8 including latest HQP Embedded 4.23.0 (with the new poly-sinc-ext3 and sinc-Mx filters).

If you are not getting updates perhaps you are still on Sonicorbiter v2.7? Just a thought as not getting HQP Embedded updates prompted me to upgrade to v2.8 a few months ago.

How did you find out about the upgrade path? I don’t see it published anywhere on their site. I have been at 2.8 for a year now but I had to request it from service precisely for the hqplayer upgrade issue?

Why not run the correction filters in HQPlayer (Acourate, rePhase, Audiolense, etc)?

1 Like

I do run corrections on the second HQP instance. I run the linear phase crossovers, and some low frequency peq (as well as the phase corrections) for four channels. What I like about the SHD in the setup is that I can have 4 banks of settings where I can choose the house curve and correction cut off frequency with a remote, or just turn DL off if there are more people listening in the room.

With HQPlayer Embedded’s “Pipeline Matrix” feature, I currently have 14 different profiles (total for headphones EQ and room EQ).

Using HQPDControl app on iPad I can switch between these different profiles (call it really advanced tone controls) while music is playing. There’s just a half second pause in playback.

All from iPad. Don’t need to get up from listening position.

Correction files done with Audiolense XO

131k tap correction filters. DSP crossover, individual driver time alignment, room phase and frequency response correction

Same can be done with Acourate and RePhase

1 Like

Sounds great. You need those FiR filters to really fix the subs and not just at a single point. I use RePhase and I set it up such that Dirac will have as easy job as possible to do the correction with the 2 channels. Though what I find tedious is screwing around with the sliders for 4 channels. I do not have a windows computer but I’ll check if Audiolense works well enough with Wine and would generate those filters for me.

I’ve got 13 sets and probably that many or more I no longer use. Convolution is grossly under appreciated in my experience.

I use the web page via iPhone to swap settings more often than not. The Control app on MacOS is a bit lacking.

1 Like

It has to be simple to use though and Jussi’s “Matrix profiles” makes it so simple to switch between profiles.

The web interface is just as simple as the HQPDControl app too.

All while music is playing.

I just wish the MacOS Control app would remember the IP of HQPe machine otherwise it’s fine. I only use it to invert phase from time to time, better yet if invert phase was available on the web page!

@jussi_laako I do have an occasional problem with 4.23.0. I get the occasional track, perhaps 1 in 20, local or Qobuz or internet radio station that blasts me with white noise. ext2 and ext3 have done it.

I’ve changed from default NAA buffers to 100ms to see if this helps. Edit: now trying 200ms. No improvement with 200ms. Now back to default buffer and 16 vs 20 bits.

Couldn’t you make a new profile for just inverted phase and select that from the web interface?

In pipeline matrix? By crossing the channels 2,1,1,2 vs. ‘standard’ 1,2,2,1? Might work but invert checkbox doesn’t disrupt the stream at all other than the occasional tick.

Yep

I don’t mean by just playing with the mixed channels.

I mean you can invert phase “properly” in RePhase, Acourate, Audiolense etc. Create new correction filters and save those as a new profile. Give it a name ‘inverted phase’ and Bob’s Your Uncle.

There’s seemingly no limit to how many profiles you want to create.

Matrix is the coolest. No interruption to music playback, as I mentioned earlier.

I get a brief interruption, perhaps 500ms, when I change to another set in matrix.

Yes I mentioned the same half second silence earlier above but by ‘no interruption’ I mean it’s nothing like the interruption of changing filters/settings on Config page, for example.

I should have said practically negligible interruption to playback.