Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

There is nothing “wrong” with poly-sinc-short-lp. It may be that it’s the best choice for your DAC, system, genre and ears. So when others talk about preferred alternatives we’re just saying what works for us. Ultimately how it sounds to you is what matters.

Digital filters are all about choosing your compromise. You can have a steep cut off in the frequency domain, but that will mean a longer filter in the time domain. You can avoid pre-ringing with an mp (minimum phase) filter, but different frequencies will take different times to transit the filter compared to an lp (linear phase) filter and the phase response will shift. Shorter filters usually have a better transient response, but you can lose some soundstage as they roll off higher frequencies earlier.

Poly-sinc-short-lp is towards the short end in the time domain ( but not as short as minring) So has a good transient response. It has some pre-ringing, but preserves phase response.

If you wanted to try a longer filter, I’d suggest closed-form, which was my entry point into longer filters. Closed form means that the filter works by coming to a definite value, rather than closing in on a value by a series of increasingly accurate approximations on each side.

My current choice is ext2 which is a longer linear phase filter, but with a transient response that surprised Jussi.

Try them out and let us know what you think.

4 Likes