Which HQP Filter are you using? [2015-2023]

Hi @jussi_laako . I am using Chord TT2, sinc-M, lns15, 768k, adaptive.

Over on AS it was mentioned that adjusting buffer to 50ms and bits to 28 added some body or tonality changes. Of course I tried it and thought it did.

Does this adjustment make sense and if so is it something that should be adjusted as a fine tuner?

Thanks

I am using HQP to listen to live digitized vinyl. With my convolution filters in the matrix, my current server can handle DSD128 but not farther up without stuttering. What would you all recommend for settings to listen to vinyl? Right now, I am using poly-sinc-ext-2, ASDM7EC and 44.1x128 for a Pro-Ject PreBox S2 Digital DAC output via microRendu. Perhaps you all think PCM would be better? My current PCM settings are poly-sinc-ext-2 for both filter 1X and NX, dither NS9 and 768k sample rate. Thanks for your help. JCR

Every kind of dithering Iā€™ve tried has a significant impact on soundstage. Without dithering the soundstage is clearly wider. I donā€™t know how this affects the distortion, even if there is one, it does not affect what I hear. Can this distortion affect equipment such as amplifiers, speakers or DAC? Iā€™m only listening to PCM, maximum 384kHz and 32bit.

It is mostly useful when output is for example R2R ladder DAC. Or when you know you have limited resolution on subsequent link or DSP section, like for example connecting an old 16-bit DAC using USB-to-S/PDIF converter.

Chord should be able to utilize all 32 bits in itā€™s subsequent DSP sections, so I would just leave ā€œDAC Bitsā€ set to ā€œDefaultā€ when connecting the DAC using USB. However, if you use for example dual-S/PDIF or something else than USB to connect a Chord DAC, then you should set DAC Bits to 24.

If you find something else works better in your case and you are using USB connection, you can of course do it.

I would say it does affect, otherwise this would be contradictory statementā€¦ :wink:

Dither exists to avoid quantization distortion when precision needs to be limited to something less. Without dither, output words are just rounded/truncated to the output precision causing signal dependent systematic error (distortion).

It depends on the levels, but in this case most likely just the DAC.

Iā€™m currently using poly-sinc-short-lp and Gauss1 for my HQPlayer 4.5 Pro with Schilt Modi 2 DAC. I mainly listen to 16/24 bit .flac format up/down sample to 24bit/ 96khz because I heard itā€™s the best output for my Modi 2. My fav genre of music is rock/pop music but I sometimes listen to another genre as well. Can you guys suggest me a better Filter and Dither I should use ? (because I think my Filter and Dither setup is out of date). Thanks you guys a lots

There is nothing ā€œwrongā€ with poly-sinc-short-lp. It may be that itā€™s the best choice for your DAC, system, genre and ears. So when others talk about preferred alternatives weā€™re just saying what works for us. Ultimately how it sounds to you is what matters.

Digital filters are all about choosing your compromise. You can have a steep cut off in the frequency domain, but that will mean a longer filter in the time domain. You can avoid pre-ringing with an mp (minimum phase) filter, but different frequencies will take different times to transit the filter compared to an lp (linear phase) filter and the phase response will shift. Shorter filters usually have a better transient response, but you can lose some soundstage as they roll off higher frequencies earlier.

Poly-sinc-short-lp is towards the short end in the time domain ( but not as short as minring) So has a good transient response. It has some pre-ringing, but preserves phase response.

If you wanted to try a longer filter, Iā€™d suggest closed-form, which was my entry point into longer filters. Closed form means that the filter works by coming to a definite value, rather than closing in on a value by a series of increasingly accurate approximations on each side.

My current choice is ext2 which is a longer linear phase filter, but with a transient response that surprised Jussi.

Try them out and let us know what you think.

4 Likes

I really appreciate your descriptions of the mp vs lp and short v long. Im not that technical so this really helps me try and really understand what the differences really areā€¦THANK YOU.

2 Likes

Thanks you! I will check it out. What about Dither do you suggest anything besides Gauss1 ? I see a lot of folks using The new LNS15 Dither and sinc-S filter but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s good with my Low PCM 24 bit 96khz output And my low end modi 2 DAC. What do you thinks about that ?

I havenā€™t listened to PCM for a long while, but when I did I couldnā€™t hear a difference between different dither settings. YMMV.

1 Like

For low output rates like 96 kHz, TPDF or Gauss1 are good choices. Shouldnā€™t Modi 2 support 192k input? I think it should and is best used at 192k. If itā€™s the multi-bit version, please also remember to set DAC Bits to 16, since the DAC chip used on it is 16-bit part.

1 Like

I have the cheapest 99$ Modi 2 version (no Multi-bit, no Uber). I heard some guy on the internet said that Modi 2 (maybe the Uber version Iā€™m not sure) is more magical and better with 48 to 96 khz music compare to 192 khz although Modi 2 support 192 khz. My system is a little dot i+ and Grado 325 head is pretty normal so I trust that guy because he seem to have a bigger and better system which can help him hear the difference better than me.

I listen to 192 khz output I thought it a little better as well but iā€™m not sure. So if I use 192 khz output as you suggest, i will go for Sinc S and LNS15. Do you think that is a good idea?

I donā€™t know if I imagining things, but I like 384khz better than 700+ on RME ADI-2 DAC, but that can have something to do with the convolution file I use which is 384khz. But whats the best shaping for that frequency? LNS15? If possible I would not mind calming higher frequency (10khz+) a little.

Technically / objectively ADI-2 works notably better at 705.6/768k rates. But LNS15 can be used from 352.8k up just fine.

1 Like

OK, with that one, 192k and TPDF, Gauss1 or NS9 is good, and for example sinc-S or some poly-sinc filter depending on your preferences. DAC Bits set to Default.

1 Like

Have you got a Denafrips Ares ii unit yet?
Iā€™m wondering what would be your preferred settings.

Not yet, maybe Iā€™ll try to order one during fall time. Iā€™m now testing T+A HA 200 headphone amp.

1 Like

OK, Iā€™ll use 705.6/768k, but from a technical perspective, is adaptive rate on or off best, if we assume filters that works with both?

You can set it to grayed, meaning that it tries to stick to 768k limit rate, but if it cannot, it will drop to 705.6k. OTOH, with filters like poly-sinc-long you are probably up to a bit too long wait. So if you like faster initialization times, checking adaptive rate may be good option.

Yes, I know about that, but for filters that can be used both with and without, like short-mp and ext2, what is best to use?