Which is my better option for my new dedicated computer? OSX (Catalina) with Roon Core, or Roon Rock?

I use Qobuz and Roon, and I also have a NAS containing music files, accessible by ethernet.
I have a number of Roon endpoints.
I currently have my Roon Core set up on my iMac, but my intention is to use a new optimized dedicated music server computer which I am building and setting up, to use purely for music.
I am a Mac man at heart, and I really dislike using Windows.
So I originally planned to set up this new computer as a Hackintosh, using Catalina, with Roon Core set up on it.
But I am now wondering whether it is a better idea to set it up as Roon Rock, rather than OSX running Roon Core.
Would I be making a big mistake setting my new build up as a Hackintosh OSX computer?
Also, if I did set it up as Roon Rock, what do I do about Qobuz?

I would go with a Roon Nucleus or a NUC running Rock. I chose the Nucleus because I didn’t want to hassle with the DIY aspect of a NUC. However, if you want to save some money and do it yourself, IMHO, the NUC running Rock is the way to go. Running Tidal and/or Qobuz is no problem. I use them both. Personally, I would stay away from Windows and Apple.

1 Like

If you put together your own music server (as I did), running ROCK on it is not supported by Roon. It might work, or you might run into problems. Roon on Mac, on the other hand, has some outstanding bugs to be resolved (overheating problem).

So, why not run your music server with an easy to install Linux distro like Ubuntu? My own experience with Ubuntu as OS for Roon Server has been excellent. It works fine.

4 Likes

The unit I am working on is a Fanless, quality ATX based i7 with a Linear Power Supply.
My preference would be to run OSX on it and have Roon Core running on that.
But I guess my question really centres around: “Are there any sonic benefits to using Roon Rock, as I understand that the (Linux?) OS that Rock uses is actually very ‘cut down’ and therefore there are less processes running to interfere with Roon’s performance?”

We are also almost an Apple-only household. I use a headless Mac Mini (2018 3Ghz i5) to run Roon Core - still using Mojave as there were certainly problems with Roon and Catalina, at least to begin with, so I have resisted upgrading. This is attached by ethernet to the router, and all files (approx. 22,000) are on a NAS also attached by ethernet to the router. I also use Tidal. This has been a flawless platform on which to run Roon. Note I’m not doing any DSP. I’d say keep to OSX.

3 Likes

None whatsoever.

1 Like

The computer you run Roon on is not going to affect SQ. However, it may or may not affect runnability.

3 Likes

Use your NAS to install Roon Server! I am sure the NAS has way more uptime. Install it and mostly forget it. Then you can switch your Mac off when you’re not using it and not consume system resources. No need for expensive solutions when you already have a great set up. I have a Mac too, but no way do I want to bog it down with Roon.

1 Like

Can I install Roon Server on OSX in preference to Roon Core?

For OSX there are two packages - the complete Roon package (core, output and control) and Roon Server (core and output). Roon Server is what you want to install on a headless music server.

3 Likes

You could do that, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Why? Because Roon Server has no GUI. Therefor it really belongs on a true fileserver such as your NAS. Installation is straightforward then you can connect to it with a multitude of endpoints like your Mac, iPhone etc. It’s really a great way to go. But not the only way. You choose based on your comfort level with your set-up. The server solution is very flexible however.

1 Like

Thank you, folks, I think I have got it now!

1 Like

I just use the full package - works great, and gives you the flexibility. Running Roon control on my MacBook Pro can sometimes drain the battery quite fast so I’ll just screen share to the Mac mini and I can control from there.

My roon server is installed on a Mac mini (late 2012 i7 server running os X Catalina), connected to the LAN via WiFi. Music files are hosted on a NAS connected to the LAN via ethernet, and sent to a node 2i, also connected to the LAN via ethernet. I am using Qobuz.

Everything works like a breeze. Never had a single issue. If you are a Mac user, you can safely stay with this environment.

I run Roon Server with Ubuntu Server on a fanless NUC, but setting up and managing Ubuntu requires some experience, which I fortunately have from a lifetime using and managing those kinds of systems. I don’t use Roon OS/ROCK as I’m comfortable with Linux, but if I were in your situation, I’d find ROCK-compatible hardware and go with it.

I’ll add my support to running your own headless Linux box with RoonServer on it. If you’re interested you can cut the cruft from your installation https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian. I did, but mostly because I could. I’m sure it’d be near identical on a vanilla Debian sever. I went this route because ROCK wants all of the M2 SSD on a NUC and there was 800 GB spare that I wanted as music storage.

Perhaps start with what you’re most comfortable with, which sounds like the Hackintosh option. If there’s something that’s wrong enough to force a change then back it up and reconfigure. It’ll only take an hour to reinstall as a Linux server.

1 Like

I have a 2019 imac i5 six core, music stored on internal drive, stream through Qobuz. Works great. Only snafu was the Catalina upgrade. That has been long resolved. I had a 2014 i5 quad core prior.

2 Likes

I was in the same boat as you. I am a Mac user at heart and originally had my core on my old MacPro, then I built a fanless PC on an ASUS H270I motherboard, it was originally going to be put to other uses but I tried ROCK on it and it has been running for a couple of years now.

I wouldn’t go back to running my core on a computer that is used for for other things. If/when ROCK will no longer run on it I will replace it with a dedicated NUC or if I can sell an organ I’d love a Nucleus.

I much prefer having a low power, stand alone server running Roon, the benefits really outweigh the negatives and you can always change it to a Hackitosh if you need to.

2 Likes

Would second ‘oneofmany’ on this - I had an oldish i3 Zotac mini which struggled to run Windows 10. Installed ROCK (trivial task if you follow the instructions) and it has been acting as my Roon server for over two years with zero issues. Even an i3 can cope with a range of DSP tasks. The most sensible ones (crossfeed, upsampling to 96Khz/192Khz) place no stress on the machine (clock speed of processor seems to be the limiting factor but it’s always managing at least x10). It consumes little more than10 watts of power and I can rest easy leaving it swtiched on 24/7.

1 Like

Ok, so my next question… Is there a sonic advantage, if I install Roon Core or Server on either a PC or a Mac(or a ‘Hackintosh’) to use 2 separate SSDs, one to run the operating system and one to run Roon?