White Screen with Logo only

Hi Dyan,

Thanks for jumping in - my network configuration is very simple.
There’s a standard router (CBN, provided by my provider Vodafone), NAS is connected via LAN, DHCP on, Roon remote access via WLAN (Macbook & LG mobile on Android). Most basic configuration I can think of :wink:

Not only my MacBook isn’t able to access Roon - tried it with my Android, same story. And it already worked quite well - Roon was visible and busy collecting Albums and is running for about 4 days now. I didn’t touch anything, suddenly there was only the White Screen with Logo … really strange.

Is there anything else you need in order to understand what’s going on?

Best
Bernhard

How big is your collection?

Quite big - around 14 GB.
But I was waiting quite a while (around 30 min) before I get impatient watching a white screen with pulsating logo ;:wink:

Hey @Bernhard_Krusche,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-Dylan

Hey @Bernhard_Krusche,

The diagnostics report has been received and I’ve passed it along to our technical team for analysis. In order to get them all of the information they’ll need for their investigation, may I ask that you please verify the following for me:

• What is the model of the NAS you are using as the Core? Is the Core stored on an SSD?
  • Does the same behavior occur with both the NAS and MacBook connected via Ethernet?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

it’s a Synology DS 1813+, with the core stored on SSD.
Connected Macbook and NAS on LAN = same behaviour.

Best
Bernhard

And NAS is doing wild things - all disc lights are flickerung constantly since 2 days, means this machine is heavily working. If I restart the NAS, it continous to do so right from the start … never had that before, especially for such a long time …

Bernhard

And theres’s another thing that might be interesting: after a while, hanging with the white scrren, Roon says: Do you want to look for another core? I say: Yes. It starts looking for a few moments, than showing my NAS again, initalising, and ready to connect. I re-connect, and the same loop starts again …

Thanks for the details here, @Bernhard_Krusche!

I spoke with the team regarding their analysis of the diagnostics report, and we’d like to propose a test that should give us some greater insight into what you’re experiencing.

• Stop all instances of RoonServer on the Core machine
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install (note - don’t add your watched folders just yet).

Try to connect to the Core with your remote once you do this. Are you able to connect or do you still experience the same issue?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

unfortunately I’m travelling the next few days, so I dont have access to my NAS. I’ll check that asap, and let you know the results …

Best
Bernhard

Thanks, @Bernhard_Krusche! No rush at all here. Whenever you try this just let me know and we can move forward with next steps from there.

Safe travels!

-Dylan

Alright - I*m online again. Did every step as mentioned above, and it’s no problem to connect to the core. So now?
Best, Bernhard

My apologies on the delayed response here, @Bernhard_Krusche!

I’m glad to hear that you were able to connect after doing this. Next go ahead and ad back in your watched folders — Are you still able to connect after doing so?

-Dylan

Dear Dylan, after setting up a new core (and updated to the newst version of Roon) I started to add my folders on the NAS. Didn’t re-onnect to Tidal yet, though. Roon started to add files, so everything seems to work fine. After adding app. 9500 albums, Roon starts to slow down - I’am able to see the running process indicating files quite fast, but adding albums / titles is very slow. It takes around 5-10 minutes for each album. That means some weeks of work for the NAS? Switched off file normalization in order to save computing power, but still no speed. Rebooted Core, restarted NAS, no difference. Looks like Roon is having some trouble when it comes to bigger libraries?

Any idea how to speed up this process?

Best
Bernhard

Thanks for the update, @Bernhard_Krusche.

I noticed that the Core machine you’re using for your Roon Core falls short of our recommended specs.

Because this device uses an Atom processor you may experience performance issues, particularly with larger libraries or DSP.

It sounds like the Core machine may be having trouble with size of the library in use. How many tracks do you have total in your library?

It may be better to try using the MacBook Pro as your Core machine. The processor in the MacBook Pro should allow you to have better performance than the Synology.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Hm - that’s too bad. Don’t want to use my notebook for that. And hard to believe that the Synology NAS is already outdated to use Roon. It’s definitely not a low spec machine, especially this model…

So, is it simply that Roon will take some time to scan the library, or do you expect serious limitations when using it in daily life?

Library is quite big, but if Roon is made for serious music lovers it should be able to deal with big libraries, don’t you think? I mean - who else is collecting a lot of music?

Best
Bernhard

It can - but it also relies on the underlying hardware to have sufficient horsepower available, and the Intel Atom CPU in this Synology NAS simply can’t handle it…

That means: Roon will not run properly on this machine? Taking some time to create it’s library would be OK, but using Roon afterwards should work like expected. Do you think Roon will work smoothly after indicating all the files in my library?

Best
Bernhard

Perhaps you should read this comment on the role of hardware in the Roon experience. A large library will affect the performance of the user interface, because the display is built on the fly by querying the database. And with an Intel Atom, I suspect you are going to find the performance too sluggish to be acceptable, even when it is being used just as a Core. You can certainly forget about using the DSP engine in Roon - the Atom will not be up to handling its demands.

Hey @Bernhard_Krusche,

I definitely recommend you check out this post from one of our developers.

Using a Core machine that is below our recommended specifications, particularly with a large library, will likely result in some performance issues. The severity of these performance issues will vary depending on how much analysis is being performed, whether or not you’re using DSP, how many zones you’re streaming to, and the overall size of your library (among other things).

You can certainly let the import process finish up and see if things stabilize, but since that machine is significantly below our recommended specifications, unfortunately performance issues would not be surprising here.

Kind regards,
Dylan