Who has ground an axe?

We have a small cabin in the woods, to use the horror movie terminology. A log cabin in more congenial terms. The tiny forest around it requires a bit of tidying up, so yes I have. Wet stone á la the Tormek but not Japanese waterstones or hand polishing. All that is reserved for our kitchen knives (another story for another cold afternoon).

Mostly we use chainsaws, though. But they also require a lot of filing to stay sharp. Oh, and they too have an apt place in cinematography.

2 Likes

It depends on how many sparks you got…

1 Like

Indeed, with stones, but also with a bench grinder. Along with knives, hoes, shovels. Garden tools not to razor sharp, but an edge enough to cut through small roots and branches. Grinder is for more serious work, though - a steel and a stone will keep a utility blade sharp if you stay diligent. I run all my kitchen knives over a steel before EVERY use. Dull knives (and axes!) are the blades that almost always cause the bad boo-boos.

1 Like

I throw the dull one away and get a new one.

Shame. My axe is inherited and at least 40 years old.

Throw away and buy new.
Sign of the times!

We had a tree surgeon round with a very blunt axe… I asked him where he had worked before?
The Sahara, he replied with confidence… Thats a desert I replied… It is now he said :joy:

3 Likes

Ah my grandfather’s axe. :slight_smile:
Replaced the blade twice etc…

1 Like

Reminds me of a koan.

Ever replace the handle?

In the UK, that is Trig’s Broom… Only Fools and Horses

2 Likes

Many times, many years ago, at my parents’ cottage in Canada. Replaced wooden handles, too.

Many times. Usually with a big, round wet groundstone, so no sparks (that is a no no!). But I do consider a Tormek.

and since that day your dad replaced the handle, and you replaced the blade, but its still your grandfathers axe, right?
When I was a kid I tried to grind an axe at my grandfathers farm. Needed both hands to turn the grindstone, and both hands to hold the axe. So not many sparks were flying that day.

1 Like

It’s important it doesn’t get too hot or it loses its temper, ie will no longer hold an edge very long. Hence whetstone, oil, slow sharpening. As mine is quite chunky, I just use a metal file. It’s a lot of technique chopping, rather than sharpness.

Very timely!
Upcoming Tormek Sharpening class for Bushcraft Gear.
No better time to learn, if you have an axe to grind.

Yes, with a grinding wheel and stone. Bought one many years ago when I had some old tree stumps to remove. An axe is useful only when sharp, otherwise it is just a bludgeon and a lot of hard work.