Why Aren’t You Listening to Canadian Music Right Now?

Inuk throat singing anyone? Hard to get more Canadian than that, and it’s very much worth a listen if you haven’t. IIRC correctly, this won the Polaris Prize Award when it was released for the best Canadian album of the year.

EDIT: This album will utterly confound any expectations you have prior to listening.

3 Likes

Here’s a brand new release from a new all-star jazz group organized by Canadian pianist Renee Rosnes. The group also includes Canadian trumpeter Ingrid Jensen. (Ingrid Jensen’s sister, Christine Jensen, is a pretty fair saxophonist who also is worth checking out, although she isn’t on this recording.)

4 Likes

Throwback Tuesday!

2 Likes

canadian americana:

3 Likes

I just googled Canadian music artists, and man, a huge chunk of my library is Canadian:

In no particular order:

Neil Young
Alanis Morissette
Bryan Adams
Joni Mitchell
Leonard Cohen
Gordon Lightfoot (obviously)
Sarah McLachlan (I need to go adopt a dog now…)
Bruce Cockburn
Anne Murray
K.D. Lang
Oscar Peterson
Diana Krall
Rush

The real question is when am I NOT listening to Canadian music?

Sheldon

2 Likes

Then there’s this rowdy bunch.

2 Likes

Paul Bley lived most of his life outside of Canada, but he was born in Montreal.

4 Likes

What a great choice. Carole Pope is Canada’s answer to the eternal question: What would an Iggy Pop and Grace Slick love child be like?

1 Like

In the second half of the '70s there were a lot of great hard rock bands in Canda. And I don’t mean just the obvious bands.

2 Likes

You are so correct…

5 Likes

My favourite Triumph album.

2 Likes

Back in 1977 I read a review of this album in Dutch magazine Muziekkrant Oor. I decided to buy the album. And right there and then started my life long love for everything Max Webster.

6 Likes

I hope that everybody’s working for the weekend…

RoonShareImage-637360305182306583

4 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

Chris - When things get back to normal, here is someone you may want to check out for the LRB. I’ve seen her live a couple of times and she is great.

PS No relation to Gordon, apparently.

1 Like

Ooooo thanks for the tip there

8 Likes

2 Likes