Why can't Roon server license be tied to computer serial number

I have a late 2014 Mac mini running Big Sur that I would like to do double duty as a headless Roon server and a secure personal machine.

I have created my account (requires login) and a “Roon” account that does not.

When I switch between accounts, by completely logging out of one and into the other, I can’t connect to the Roon Server–my only option is to deauthorize the last used account.

I understand that a computer can have multiple MAC address and NetBIOS names, but I have yet to see a computer serial number spoofed.

Why can’t Roon tie its activation to the serial number?

It’s a bit unclear what you are doing and how many computers are involved. Can you expand in your sequencing.

1 Like

SMH.
One computer. One music file location. One Roon Server license.
Two user logins on the same, ONE, computer. Never at the same time. Only one user, on the one computer, at any one time.
Roon clients do not recognize the Roon Server as the same server, with the same Mac address, and the same NetBios name, and the same computer serial number, regardless of who is logged in on the Roon server.

I’m speculating, because I’m also a little bit unclear about what you’re trying to achieve, but if you’re running Roon Server in its own account, then “completely logging out” will quit the app. Try logging in to the Roon account, setting the server running, then use fast user switching to switch to the other account. All that said, why don’t you just run Roon from your “secure” account? Wouldn’t that simplify things?

If there’s one Core, as there seems to be, then anyone can log into it as long as the Remote device is on the same network…

There’s something screwy about your setup and it isn’t Roon’s design.

What does this mean? What is a Roon account that doesn’t need a login? No one understands what you mean by this. In order to run Roon the only account that needs a login, in fact the only account that Roon uses, is the login for Core when you first bring it up.

SMH.

I’m wondering if he has two versions of Roon installed on the same machine, rather than accessing the same Roon application from two accounts.

@David_Russell can you confirm if that is the case or not?

I have one version of Roon server and one version of Roon client installed on the machine.

The machine has a brand new hard drive. With new installs of the apps.

David normally Roon is installed at the machine level so it means that if two different user’s log into the same machine, then that would be the same Roon application (client and server) with the same configuration.
It sounds like yours is not working that way
I wanted to try and get that far before I go to bed as it’s 12:30AM here.

Why is the Roon client asking me to set up another Roon core when it already sees the “first” core?

When I select “go back”, I get the Roon equivalent of the spinning beachball

BINGO!!!

That is what is happening here.

Ok hopefully someone can pick that up then while I sleep.
Good luck getting this fixed as it will define make things easier for you

Leaving the current (convoluted) problem aside, can I ask what purpose the extra Roon account serves? Why not just run everything from one account?

1 Like

Ok, you’re accidentally trying to set up two Cores. First Core is Roon Server. Then you brought up the complete Roon package and when it asked you if you wanted to run as Core or Endpoint, you said Core.

That’s what happened, right?

You probably don’t need both Roon Server and the complete Roon package. If you just run Server then you can’t use that machine as a Control device. If you just bring up the complete Roon package, that has Server built in and then you can use the machine as Control also.

Suggested solutions:

• Don’t use the switch users function in macOS. Log the existing user out before logging in. This is just one of the things one has to deal with when using a non-dedicated computer.
  • Use a dedicated computer for Roon. Nucleus/Nucleus+ provide the best experience, but Roon OS on a supported Intel NUC is a close second. Since you are a lifetime subscriber, the investment in dedicated resources to run Core would seem to be justifiable. That said, I would not presume to tell anyone else how to spend their money. Just my strong recommendation to eliminate your current source of pain and improve the experience in other ways as well.

Edit: sorry, it may have been another thread where the person who raised the issue pointed out they are a lifetime subscriber (not that it makes any difference) since I can’t find that reference here. But even if you are month-to-month or annual, the investment in dedicated resources for Core could be justifiable and would definitely solve your problem.

How is the problem convoluted?

Additionally, I would ask, why does it matter? But to humor you…

I would like to set the computer to start up at certain times or to simply manually power-up and have Roon available within a minute or two. In order to accomplish this, there needs to be no login password–the computer boots, Roon loads, no other apps are running, security is high, and I can use any Roon client to listen to music.

Now, this is my personal computer. I would like my personal information password protected. Therefore, my personal “side” requires a manual login at startup. This precludes a scheduled startup or a “fire-and-forget” startup. I also do not want two “users” running at the same time. I want to be able to log out of the “Roon” user and dedicate all resources to my personal side. I also don’t want to have to log out twice when I am done.

No, that is NOT what happened.

I understand the difference between Core and Endpoint.

Go back and look at my screenshot. A Roon Endpoint is asking me if I want to select a new Core or “connect to the Core you previously set up”. When I select “go back” I get caught in a loop.

Additionally, it doesn’t matter what control device/endpoint (iOS, Windows, a different MacOS) I use the same thing happens.

OK, you know best. Roon is telling you that you are trying to set up two Cores and that, no matter how you got there, is what’s happening.

1 Like

You just described how Roon OS works right there. :point_up_2:

Edit: it’s more like 20-30 seconds than a minute or two

I have NEVER used the switch users function; don’t know why you assumed that.

As I have stated from the beginning, I have done a full log out and have only wanted to use one user at a time.

WRT to your second suggestion: again, I don’t know where you got any of that information but I am not a lifetime subscriber and additional hardware is not my desire or in my budget. This seems like a straightforward issue to me. Roon endpoints should be able to recognize that Roon server is installed on one machine and that whoever is logged into that machine should be able to run Roon Server without the endpoints having to “switch” cores.

Umm, I am pretty aware of what Roon is telling me. I am also aware that:

I did not select, set up another Roon Core
Roon is “giving” me the option to go “back” to the first core but then is getting stuck in a loop
I don’t understand why you are claiming that “I know best” when all I am doing is relaying what is happening to me with screen shots, regardless of your assumptions