Why do NAS' Struggle with Roon?

That’s all personal perspective, while I appreciate ROCKs utility it wasn’t for me. Rather than:

Without SSH access and the ability to partition my M2 drive, I was left feeling I’d been locked out of my own house.

The best thing about Roon is there’s plenty of install choices meaning the user base is a pretty broad church. From tech-savvy tinkerers to just install and enjoy folk.

1 Like

Ok ya got me…my bad…old age got me too

Hello.
As in the articles below, Roon is needed a lot of high specifications and a lot of things to care about, and it requires a high cost.
It is not solved at high cost, but there is something that comes with it.
In my case, what you said, SSD, linear power, wifi-hub, Roon nucleus, and lifetime subscriptions cost about $4,000 or more, but I’m not satisfied. It’s not a perfect program.
Still, some people say “It’s uncomfortable because you don’t know Roon very well.”
I’ve been starting and paying for it too, but it’s also a good choice not to choose ROON. There are many ways to enjoy music other than Roon.

So does the sonicTransporter family of products. They are also more powerful and much more flexible too.

Maybe for you. From my perspective, no other platform offers what Roon offers. Sure, I could get by without Roon. But I would not be able to do what I do today in the elegant and coherent way I can do it with Roon.

The Nucleus is powerful enough to run Roon, and doesn’t need to be ‘flexible’. It runs Roon. Perfectly. That’s all I need.

1 Like

So you spent a lot of money unnecessarily without doing your research. You didn’t need to buy all of that to try roon, you could have done so with a cheap second hand laptop.

You need? Are you everyone? No, I don’t think so. I use HQPlayer with Roon. If I had a Nucleus, I would have to buy a second system just to run HQPlayer. Instead, I run HQPlayer Embedded on my sonicTransporter i9. That setup cost me the same as a Nucleus Plus. There is bunch of other software you can run on the sonicTransporter…all of it part of the appliance. You can use what software you want and not use what you don’t want. The sonicTransporter can be a Roon Core or much more…

I’m not bothered about HQPlayer. I just want to run Roon. And the Nucleus fits my requirements perfectly.

Again, your requirements…you are not everyone.

No. And neither are you.

Not everyone wants to mess around with other software etc. Some people just want a ‘plug ‘n play’ solution for Roon.

It’s the old adage: ‘You pays your money, you takes your choice!’

1 Like

Don’t run Roon on your NAS
Same thing happened to me I uninstalled the Roon app on my QNAP, problem solved

Dude, the sonicTransporter is an easy to run appliance, just like the Nucleus. It offers more power and flexibility for the same money. You only mess around with other software if you want to. If you don’t, it is just as simple to run as the Nucleus.

I’ve used a Nucleus and a sonicTransporter. Have you? If you had, you would know what I am saying is true…

1 Like

My point is: I don’t want, or need ‘more power and flexibility’ to enjoy Roon.

Some people may? I don’t. And for me, the Nucleus fits my requirements perfectly. Obviously, for you it doesn’t.

Let’s just leave it there, shall we?

It’s just your thoughts.
If someone has enough money to solve their curiosity, they will pay for it. How much money you will spend depends on the person’s ability.
Do you think that the people who spend tens of millions of dollars and hundreds of millions of dollars and listen to music made bad choices?
The point of my story is that at least I’ve spent money on Roon, which is still incomplete and can be an unnecessary expense in some cases.

I have been running the Roon Core on a QNAP TVS-471 for four years now. I listen to Roon every day. Except for an after-market memory failure which certainly can’t be attributed to Roon, my user experience has been trouble free. I have often wondered why people have issues running the Roon Core on a QNAP since my experience has been so good. When I installed this system I followed the Roon guidelines to the letter including selecting the TVS-471 that was recommended by Roon. I installed 16GB of RAM (which made a huge difference in performance) and run the Core on an SSD as per the recommendation. A NAS does not have to be a problem if you follow the guidelines.

2 Likes

I run the core on a Synology DS1618+ which is not a recommended configuration. But it does have 8MB RAM and an attached USB SSD for the core.

Here’s the rub. Sometimes the performance is amazing. Super fast. Everything clicks just like you’d want it to. Other times it is painfully slow. I can’t figure out why because there is no diagnostic tool built into the program. But it leads me to believe there something more going on then just the specs of my NAS. Is my NAS busy with other intensive work and struggles to take on the additional Roon demands? Is TIDAL, Songkicks, or AllMusic having network troubles so Roon is stuck trying to fetch content from the cloud? There’s no way to know but uneven performance to me means that the NAS can easily handle the requirements of Roon at least at times.

In these discussions, I’ve learned that everything Roon serves up is a image file. Any text you see on a page is an image. The frustrating thing with that is if I want to select a name or title to search on the internet, there’s no way to highlight it and perform a copy and paste. There may be good reasons to do it this way, but it also seems to be an inefficient way to present content.

All this makes me reluctant to upgrade my hardware. My local audio dealer uses a Nucleus and said to me even that runs slow sometimes. If these problems persist no matter what hardware I use, why upgrade? For now I’ll stick with what I have until I have more answers.

I had the same behaviour so I started logging the memory used by Roon on my DS1815+ and noticed that intensive use heavily increases memory usage which may cause swapping which is extremely noticeable on the GUI. The easy way out is to restart roon server every couple of days via the following commands:

sudo /usr/syno/bin/synopkg stop RoonServer
sleep 2
sudo /usr/syno/bin/synopkg start RoonServer

I have no idea what slow with Roon is like. Have a NUC8I7BEH with 16gb ram, fast Samsung m.2 drive for Roon OS/Database and internal Sata SSD for my library. Always available and always snappy response. 100% on the ball. So far anyway, knock on wood.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Can you walk me through the steps to add these commands? Do I go into Control Panel to start or is this something in Package Center?