Why do NAS' Struggle with Roon?

GTK. Thanks.

These are commands you need to enter from the command line. Are you familiar how to telnet/ssh to your NAS?

No I don’t knwo how to telnet/ssh to my NAS. But I can log into my NAS using Quickconnect and then I can locate my Roon package, stop in, then restart it.

I thought these commands might be a way to automate that process. If there is a way to set up the NAS to stop and start Roon at, say, 3:00AM every day then I can forget about it. If these commands just execute the process, I have ways I can do that already without telnet/ssh.

Yes, that’s right. There are three commands. The first stops the currently running Roon server. The next one waits 2 seconds for it to stop. The third starts the server again.

The normal way to do this every night at 3 AM would be to schedule a cron job, but I don’t think Synology supports crontabs. However, they do have something similar:

On a Synology a user can go into the Control Panel and then into Hardware & Power. From there you would click on Power Schedule where a user could set up an automated task to power down the NAS and then power it back up again. Very simple and no command line parameters need be applied. I am just saying.

I don’t see “Power Schedule” under “Hardware & Power”, only “HDD Hibernation”. Is that specific to some particular model?

Great question. I don’t know. I have a DS1513+. Under Hardware & Power I see four sub sections. The first is General. The second is Power Schedule. The third is HDD Hibernation and the fourth is UPS. I am running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2. Not sure why there would be different versions that are hardware specific but I guess that is possible.

I have a DS918+, also with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2. No “General” subtab, no “Power Schedule”, no “UPS”. Not sure how the restart happens if the DS is powered down. Maybe there’s special hardware in the 1513 to do that?

Thanks Bill, I’ve set this up and the task panel provides a tab to schedule the task. I’ve set this up (see bleow) and will see if that helps. Note i extended the time to nine seconds just to make sure it shuts down before starting up again. Next, I may increase RAM as that is a low cost experiment.

2 Likes

Bill in my DSM there is a note that says that the system will enable the feature “Restart Automatically when power supply issue is fixed”. I assume that this means that the system will power itself back up after a power shutdown. I have never used this. My Core is on a QNAP and QNAP allows you to schedule a reboot on a schedule. I used to do it every week on Friday but I found it did not ever change the performance so I deleted the scheduled event.

If you want the “sudo” in the commands to work, you’ll need to make sure this runs as “admin” or “root”, not just “guest”, as the example shows.

Right, I have it set to root. I’ve disabled guest and admin login for security reasons. Thanks for the reminder!

Adding memory will surely help as well. I’ve upgraded to 6 GB as this was very cheap and easy to do without having to dismount the whole NAS to get to the bottom of the motherboard :wink:

I’d be interested to hear how this is going to work for you as with this configuration I’ve got a setup that is snappy enough for me and utilizes the equipment I already have. The fact that RoonServer picks up any change to the stored music files immediately is an additional benefit for me.

On the first evening, the task completed successfully as you can see below. Now on the hunt for more RAM. Will report back.

Task Scheduler has completed a scheduled task.

Task: Roon Restart
Start time: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 03:30:02 GMT
Stop time: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 03:30:21 GMT
Current status: 0 (Normal)
Standard output/error:
package RoonServer stop successfully
package RoonServer start successfully

From DS1618

1 Like

That’s some overkill you’ve got. Be careful with your recovery :wink:
As long as the Roon database is located on SSD, your music files can be located on a spinning disk without any disadvantages. Data throughput of music is very low after all.

This NAS unit has Intel Pentium N3710, clocked at 1.1 - 2.56 GHz and max 8GB or RAM. This is an entry level CPU used at some laptops. There is really nothing wrong with Roon. Unfortunately, this box was designed for basic data storage and IO access of media files. Roon requires little bit more power for audio processing. How much? It is hard to say, but IO access of files is not system intensive. Hence is perfectly fine to keep both Roon core and media files in the same box. Bear in mind that these consumer type of NAS products are primarly used for storage. To really get benefit of using NAS like unit, you should look at Intel Xeon CPU, Intel i7, minimum 16GB or RAM. Run Roon as docker app or inside VM. This will isolate Roon from system OS. I highly recommend building your own box with unRaid as operating system. Roon is available for download as docker app in App Center. As alternative you buy NUC computer with better specs. It will be the same as Nucleus at lower price…

I just built out a Synology DS 720 w/ 2 8TB Toshiba drives, and 2 256 GB NVMe SSDs. Configured the SSDs as cache, and Roon is running very well. For burn in, Plex is analyzing 200+ movies (which should take a long time). While that is running (and consuming most of the CPU) Roon responds very well pumping out up to 3 separate streams. Since this is a new install, I also deleted the Roon core database, and hat Roon re-build it; which was done in < 3 minutes with a small to medium library (~20k titles).

After reading the warnings, I was worried (and extremely poor experience with WD MyCloud ex2; I can only attribute the performance to the NVMe drives set up as read/write cache. I was unable to figure out how to dedicate one NVMe as a Volume, so I just set them both up as cache. My goal was to have one as cache and the other for the Roon database.

3 Likes

Fresh install on QNAP TS-253D here with 250gb SSD for Roon core and other apps and 4TB HDD for storage. Upgraded the stock 4gb memory to 8gb for some headroom. Everything’s been working great and Roon answers as quickly as it did before with my midrange gaming PC with i5 CPU and 16gb of memory.

1 Like

This is exactly what I built in my house except I just purchased an external SSD drive to run Roon data. And I am increasing it to 6 mb RAM

For the past 8 months, I have been frustrated with Roon running on my DS1517+. Every time I Iaunched Room on my iPad, I would get about 45 seconds of use before I would get the lost connection screen. Obviously 45 seconds was never long enough to listen to any song and I was at the end of my tether trying to figure out what was wrong, until last week. All of a sudden, Roon runs stably and my NAS remains connected to my network.

So what changed? We moved 1.5 km away from the house we have been renting for the last year. We are in Australia, so despite moving from a house where I was consistently getting 90 MBps over Fibre to a house where we are getting 10 MBps on a good day until our NBN connection is setup on January 5, I am once again a happy Roon user! What changed? When we moved I finally looked at the Ethernet cable connecting my NAS to one of our 6 mesh routers and realised that either our children or any number of small rodents my wife keeps and feeds in our house has nibbled more than half way through the cable. I threw that cable away, replaced it with one that hasn’t been used for teething purposes and Voila! My NAS stays connected to the network, and more importantly, Roon is stable again!

I share this not because I am proud of my lazy network hardware maintenance, but rather to point out that sometimes the most frustrating problems have the simplest answers!

8 Likes