Why do NAS' Struggle with Roon?

Great example! Shows that people with Roon issues should examine every aspect of their network implementation.

I would be more concerned about the rodents than Roon.

1 Like

To be fair, it wasn’t a sewer rat, but a mini lop rabbit. And 2 cats and 2 dogs can’t be characterized as rodents even if I sometimes think they are pests.

1 Like

Moving house, no. Replacing a short cable you probably already have a decent collection of, yes.

I’ve been running Roon for a few months now on my RS3617xs. Database is on an external SSD to the NAS. No matter what I’m listening to, and even with 6 network cameras running and recording in the background, the CPU load never seems to exceed a few percent. I don’t run any really heavy DSP, however I do run convolution filters for headphone correction when I’m using them. Memory use is typically about 40 to 50% - yeah I really should upgrade from the stock 4GB of Ram, but otherwise it’s all working fine. In my circumstances, there’s no benefit to moving to a Nucleus/NUC, the NAS is coping fine and besides, a NUC is limited to 1 Gbit ethernet, the NAS has a 20Gbit fibre backbone to the switch…

Not exactly a run of the mill home nas buddy.

No, I realise that. I installed it when I was a photographer as somewhere to upload and store photos for editing and to back them up off site. Since then we’ve installed IP security cameras under surveillance station, it stores our music library and also runs a Plex server. It hasn’t got the most powerful CPU, and after reading all the bad press about NASs running Roon, I was concerned whether it could handle the extra workload…

Most people talking about NAS having issues are using Atom or Celeron based units. As long as the NAS meets the i3 minimum it should do just fine.

4 Likes

I have to laugh at your wiring problem. I work for an aircraft manufacturer and we had aircraft preserved and stored outside for a few months. Later on we powered up those aircraft and some systems didn’t work. We found gnawed wiring harnesses and rat scat. Your scat is in the litter box :laughing::laughing:

I agree with what you are saying, but this is a strange place to say it. Have you considered voicing this opinion in the JRiver or Audirvana forums?

I’ve been running Roon on my Asustor AS3204T NAS for the past month, nothing really in the way of issues - I have got the database on a Samsung Evo860 500GB and the music on 2 x 2TB WD spinners.

Not a lot of noise on any of the forums about Asustor NAS systems, although the processor is a Celeron, it is quadcore which may be helping along with the workload.

It does occasionally pause when I add new albums from Tidal or jump around playlists and albums but I already had the NAS and didn’t fancy putting core on my PC or laptop and leaving it running 24/7.

you dont say how big (# of tracks) your library is…this is typically the primary determining factor of roon’s platform requirements. DSP functions being the other.

18K tracks/1150 albums not sure how this rates in the scheme of things but I don’t consider it a particularly small amount and using Tidal a lot as well to supplement.

Small then…I tried with 250K tracks and gave up years ago never looked back.

Streaming service albums added to the library count towards the sizing number - put differently, if you have one local album, and have added 20’000 Tidal albums to your library, then you should size the same way as if you had 20’001 local albums.

3 Likes

I was also going to mention this as an afterthought so thanks for that :slight_smile:

This entire thread is a misleading red herring. Properly specced and configured NAS’s don’t struggle with Roon.

4 Likes

One could say ANY properly spec’d and configured COMPUTERS don’t struggle with roon. A NAS is just a computer with a specific OS for networked file access.

Interesting what you are saying. I cant even imagine why you want to pay thousands for being able to stream music (and get some nice info about the music etc.). I really dont understand why you need such an expensive hardware, when for example Plex runs easy on a cheap NAS.

When you have a very complictaed setup with a lot of endpoints and such, maybe then, yes. But like you, I have maybe 4000 albums and Tidal to stream. How complicated can that be?

I was wondering, which NAS are you using? I am looking for a new one, as mine doesnt meet the minimum requirements (Asustor).

I was wondering, which NAS are you using? I am looking for a new one, as mine doesnt meet the minimum requirements (Asustor).
I want to buy a new one, but with my usage not a prouser or office one