Why do people on this site insist on using pseudonyms? Hmm!

Any reasonable explanations?

2 Likes

Stuart Matheson, I know where you live, and if you disagree with me, your cat will mysteriously disappear. Any questions? :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Ah, that cat is the neighbour’s which recently sh-t on our bed! So carry on!

2 Likes

I don’t want people to track me down and steal my washing!

Because people have been using pseudonyms on online message boards for as long as they’ve been around?

5 Likes

This is a hi-fi site, not for political dissidents likely to be imprisoned!

I do not see why one cannot be both an audiophile and a political dissident. :unamused:

12 Likes

I suppose the only “serious” answer is “why not?”

The great Soren Kierkegaard used no less than 14 pseudonyms in his published career. I’m trying to model my contributions to audio forums on that great heavyweight of Danish philosophy!

6 Likes

I believed I was asked to supply a username which was different from my real name.
My real name is in the name field.

What did you take too much of?

3 Likes

How would you know the difference? You claim to be one Stuart Matheson but I don’t know anyone by that name, you could easily be an imposter. Maybe there is a real Mr. Matheson out there and you have stolen his identity to malign his good name in audiophile circles. Short of a government backed ID verification service you’ll just have to trust people are who they claim to be and perhaps judge them on their actions rather than their purported identity.

Ps. My secret identity is my initials as I am too lazy to make up something cooler.

6 Likes

Did you see the story today about the guy who went to prison because he expressed his love for moldy cheese? In spite of the pseudonym!

1 Like

Who’d have thought - M&S cheese brings down a criminal mastermind!

Probably best thing I have heard of M&S for a long time!

1 Like

We used to own a Citroen Berlingo (a cheap comfy van-based workhorse, for the benefit of non-European readers). One day, my wife looked out of the window, noticed that two other Berlingos were parked in front of ours and said, “Blimey, it’s like Berlingo Alley out there!”

I use the pseudonym because I can, and for the same reason I use Brave browser on my tablet and ad- and tracking-blockers in Linux. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not tracking you.

1 Like

My parents gave me crappy name and rather than offend them by legally changing it I use nicknames and pseudonyms for my convenience. The waters of the1.8 implementation have calmed and members need something new for discussion.

I am Sparticus!

2 Likes

They still make the best Wine Gums in the world.

3 Likes

I’m Brian!

1 Like

Depends on your views on MQA, cables and audiophile switches.
The placebo gulag awaits.

1 Like