Why do people on this site insist on using pseudonyms? Hmm!

3 Likes

i can say the word ā€œpee-peeā€ here one day and run for elected office the next

2 Likes

They are no more abusive than people using their own name.

Iā€™ve been using this handle online for many years, and it is effectively my common online identity for most purposes. There are probably a few others out there using it but whatever.

I donā€™t feel any sort of need to broadcast my real name across N number of forums, discords, etc, to be swept up by bots and the like.

Then they can be pulled up via the aforementioned guidelines.

Yes, interesting, if a little misguided, questionā€¦ so which model of Pseudonym, are you suggesting people should avoid exactly ? and what would you suggest people on this site use instead - something British from Glasgow or Salisbury, perhaps?
As has been said many times - if it sounds good to your ears, itā€™s right for you - donā€™t worry about where itā€™s made or what itā€™s called, or what it costs.
If a Pseudonym floats your audio boat and your dealer is offering a home trial period, go with it !

1 Like

In the clown world of today an increasing demographic find anything they do not agree with ā€œoffensiveā€. So cancelling pseudonyms ainā€™t gonna help damp those numbers.

Also, based on the cancel culture mentality of today, Iā€™d hate to think somebody might ā€œlose their jobā€ just because they posted an ā€œoffensiveā€ opinion on the latest placebo effect.
Long live pseudonyms.

4 Likes

Very simple. In a forum where we talk about expensive components, I do not wish to have someone do a simple internet search, find my address, and rob me.

4 Likes

Interesting , my wife says I am FartyAss

2 Likes

Unless you have some research to back this up, I simply do not think itā€™s true. I visit pseudonymous forums where the tone is gentle and nice, and on the other hand do I even need to mention Facebook?

It all comes down to moderation and users setting the tone among themselves. Additionally, I think that the Community platform doesnā€™t really invite long, thoughtful replies, which means that people will write short, intense posts instead. Increase the intensity, increase the animosity.

2 Likes

By the way, Roger Staines is not my real name.

1 Like

But this is your real hair, no? :wink:

Generally, itā€™s not a very good idea to use your own name on internet forums.
Thatā€™s why I hide behind my big brother; Iā€™m really Athena66.

3 Likes

I wish! This is me forty years ago when I worked in the music industry. You wouldnā€™t recognise me today from this pictureā€¦ luckily :sunglasses:

1 Like