Why does my DAC sound different between my computer and iPhone?

I find the group over at computeraudiophile.com to be a much better resource for computer based recommendations. The above link for example might be a good start. There are plenty of naysayers out there, but my experience is that the computer (MacBook, Mac mini, etc) is typically the weak link in chain and YES will impact the output of any given DAC. All other things being equal, I have found that each source I have used sounds different. I’ve used Mac mini, MacBook, Synology NAS, iPhone/iPad, etc. I have settled on the NUC (fed by a linear power supply) running Roon ROCK as source → SOtM tx-USBultra → Chord Hugo2.

I don’t know what your budget is, but my recommendation is to continue using your Mac mini as server → iPhone as bridge → iFi DAC. Avoid direct connection from your Mac to DAC. Meanwhile, spend your money on the best speakers/headphones you can afford. Don’t worry about everything in between right now. Then buy the best amp/DAC you can afford. Then start looking at server/bridge (or dedicated streamer) upgrades.