Why does Roon take up so much space?

Use my Samsung S9 running Android 10 kernel 4.9.186 as a controller for late night headphone listening… About 14900 tracks and 1.42GB of storage consumed on my phone.

1 Like

@support On my Samsung S9+, running Android 10, with 51,000 tracks, Roon was over 6.5 GB storage. Reinstalled, down to 194 MB. Will keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Well, this thread seems typical of the roon forum. good users with varying technical backgrounds making efforts to help on problems, but without acknowledgement or help from technical support, so in this case no real resolution or insight.

I have also experienced this problem. Its a storage problem, not a memory problem, and as noted by others seems to build over time. My controller is a modest samsung tablet running android 7 (applevel 24). It has 32 GB of internal storage and a 64 GB SD card. I keep the number of apps installed on the tablet pretty modest. Biggest current app is adobe reader. About a week ago, I started getting system messages that I was running out of internal storage. I found that while roons cache was modest, the user data storage was an astounding 16 GB. I mean, its a controller app… In android 7 you can move apps from internal to SD storage, so I then moved the roon app to the SD card so its storage behavior would not hose the system. I then cleared the roon data and cache. I haven’t customized anything on the controller side, so on restart everything worked fine, even my controller state was restored, showing the track I was playing before the move. After several days of use, my data storage for roon is reported at only 144 MB, down from 16 GB (!). Perhaps as speculated there is a storage leak that builds over time. Without even acknowledgement of the problem or information from tech support, we can all continue to flail in the dark. Anyways, I now know to monitor the roon controller app for this sort of runaway storage behavior. Near as I can tell so far, there is no down side to having roon app on the SD card, nor any performance implications from the data delete (but as noted I haven’t customized the app).

1 Like

My Roon app has been on my Android phone SD card since day one.
It’s a wise move I believe :+1:

agreed. my only caution would be the limited write cycles of SD cards. probably not an issue here, though since we don’t know what in the world roon is doing that would write 16 GB to my controller storage, if there are frequent writes you could possibly reduce the card’s effective capacity in a few months… can’t do the math without knowing roon write frequency or at least what it is doing. If the runaway storage use builds up slowly, I may move roon back to internal storage and just monitor the usage.

1 Like

@Phydeaux This is a very simple problem, the number of words string data obviously can not take up so much space, is the picture, picture cache. If you clear Controller’s image, it’s almost the same size as Core’s image cache, and it will be significantly smaller if you clean it up. The total size of my Core+Cotroller is 70GB +.