Why I cancelled Roon

Roon Core Machine

NUC Gen 10 iCore 7, 16GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core connected via Ethernet, wireless receiving devices such as Raspberry Pi and Chromecast

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi, Chromecast, Sonos

Number of Tracks in Library

2 albums

Description of Issue

Today I cancelled my subscription to Roon. I wanted to share why with the development team.

1. It is buggy and has always been buggy playing Tidal. Even Ethernet connected, it skips Tidal songs and then gives a ā€˜Too many failuresā€¦ā€™. Yet, after killing the remote (usually the Ios app), it works. If software starts working better after a restart, its buggy.

2. It is too expensive considering itā€™s value over the long term. Iā€™m a Canadian, a with currency conversion and taxes, Roon is over $200 a year. For that amount of money, I can buy small Intel NUCā€™s in place of Roon remote devices such as a Raspberry Pi.

3. For the cost, there should be proper, available support for paying customers. This current model of posting to a forum is not acceptable, especially when the software has failed such I recently had on an update. The update failed and I had to uninstall and reinstall - all without any help from Roon itself. For the price, this isnā€™t acceptable.

8 Likes

What device are you running the server software on?

itā€™s right there in the post.

Sorry. Didnā€™t see that.

@Timothy_Shouldice Have you tried with Qobuz?

Iā€™ve been running Roon for several years on Nuc 7, Nuc 8, Nuc 10 with 2000 albums from both Tidal and Qobuz. Iā€™ve never had an issue with software. It keeps working for weeks if not months without having to reboot. You may want to check your network settings or internet connection. Rock is a solid piece of software. Iā€™ve had far more trouble with other third parties that get compared to Roon. It may not really be a software issue.

1 Like

You answered your own question, WiFi is a notorious failure point in Roon , the data demands are high and WiFi isnā€™t in a lot of cases stable enough.

Yes some people get Wifi to work but if your issues are connectivity ie ā€œToo Many Failuresā€ then you need to look to your internal network . Search the forum for skipping, too many failures etc there are hoards of posts mirroring what you hear

I have the same NUC 10i7 and never see what you describe BUT I use Ethernet only

Just Sayinā€™

1 Like

I gave up on Tidal - same issue ā€œtoo many errorsā€ when playing via the Tidal app or ROON.
Switched to Qobuz (20% off Black Friday sale on! :joy:) and itā€™s been fine.
Also :canada:

Most probably a network/wifi issue!
Never had a single problem in 3 years of daily heavy use :smile:

Iā€™d recommend not using WiFi at allā€¦unless you have an Orbi or something similiar that have huge ā€œhighwayā€ in the backend to handle the traffic of high bitrate music. Personally Iā€™ve used to use Wifi extender and had the same problem as your, until Iā€™ve bought Orbi and that problem went away.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.