Why I Don't Sell Streamers

Personally, I love vinyl. I have around a thousand albums, and I’ve been ‘collecting’ vinyl since the early-80’s. I bought my first turntable in the early-80’s. This beauty:

I now own a ridiculously-expensive Linn LP12, that I’ve sunk money into over the last thirty-years.[LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Keel/Ekos/Adikt/Uphorik]

And however much I love vinyl, it generally sucks!

Streaming is the way forward, IMO.

1 Like

I love vinyl too, just not the price - or storage of it.

1 Like

Just saying that not only die-hard vinyl aficionados buy it

1 Like

Correct, there’s people like my eleven year old daughter. :laughing:

7 Likes

I think the man in the video is lost the plot , streaming does not necessarily mean streaming services a la Tidal.

I had a large local collection on file long long before I even thought of a streaming service , to run a local collection requires a streamer (Cambridge Audio CXN in my case) . I only subscribed to Tidal as I converted to Roon from JRiver, Roon would be incomplete without a streaming service eg the Discography Feature and Recommendations depends on it along with many other features.

His protection of the artists payment rights is laudable but at the expense of his own business ? Maybe his customers are all vinyl junkies

Just my 2p

2 Likes

I like your honesty, which is seldom amongst vinyl enthusiasts.
Much appreciated!

1 Like

I regularly watch his video’s, but more for entertainment value and not for good solid audio advice.
I do get the odd gem from him though and he is generally old school and loves vinyl and high end CD players

I think the resurgence in vinyl is due to people wanting more connection with the music. Us older folks had that - we had no other choice. So the younger gen wants to experience some of that physicality, and vinyl of course does that more so than CD’s (and lets face it CD’s are ugly in comparison and just get ripped anyway).

Personally, streaming re-invigorated my love of music as it allowed/s me to discover whole new genres that I could never afford to explore before (or even know where to begin). Plus at my age, even though I don’t move often I (though we did last year) vinyl is a burden, along with all of the other stuff we accumulate. One reason I always loved '45’s the most!

7 Likes

I think that mostly younger folks who think Vinyl is a novelty…are the ones buying tables. The side-effects of playing vinyl drove me away over 20 years ago…Roon makes going pure digital easy peazy.

1 Like

The CD made it easy to go digital. Streaming and multiroom solutions like Roon make it easy to ditch physical media.

4 Likes

I love both for different reasons and am very happy with having top digital and vinyl sources :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t do vinyl…:wink:

I have started my CD collection recently, upto 179 CDs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Streaming, either via a streaming service or your own library via Arc or other methods (PlexAmp). Streaming is the way forward in my eyes.

Why CDs for me? I can rip them to my SSD and stream them.

Streaming services tend to drop versions of an album in favour of new remasters. That’s my motivation to buy CDs, to get early versions.

The guy in the video made me chuckle. Kept his mug with the logo facing the camera all the time :grin:

3 Likes

I agree with the first part of this in terms of streaming and multi-room, especially across different manufacturers.

Make it easy to ditch physical media, oh no. Quite the opposite I feel. Is this not why Roon exists in the first place :+1:

1 Like

How’s so? Roon supports streaming services and local media in the form of audio files on mass storage devices. There’s nothing suggesting physical media.

Physical media displays my Pink Floyd boxed set better than the digital version.

3 Likes

Ok, I see your point :+1:

I took physical to mean digital purchases also :grin:

2 Likes

Roon itself is a streaming service, even without external streaming service subscriptions. It just streams over the LAN. So if you’re using Roon, you’re using streaming. And artists make even less when you stream one of their tracks from local storage than they do if you stream from an external service.

But if you bought the album on Bandcamp then the artist’s gets a lot more money than if you streamed the same many times on any streaming service.

Maybe the answer is to buy it from Bandcamp or Qobuz and then stream it from another service just to add some cream on top

3 Likes

Just make a donation on the artist website.

1 Like

I actually consciously do this, I treat my purchased music as backup when a steaming service doesn’t have it. Unless of course my copy is higher quality, then I will play that.

1 Like