Why I Left Roon

Amazon’s one and only target are the profits!

That’s why they exist. Nothing wrong there. Other than non-profits, that’s why all companies exist. Every decision a company makes is about long-term profitability and sustainability.

2 Likes

I understand completely. I really love Idagio…it focuses on classical music and has better search features and a deeper library (as far as I can tell) than Quboz or Tidal. I really wish Roon integrated with Idagio, because when my one-year membership to Roon is up, I’ll be forced to choose between Roon+Quboz or Idagio by itself, and I think Idagio by itself will win.

So please consider this a feature request, Roon!

Historically, Qobuz were dead set against integration in Roon. They since changed policy and here we are.
I think it is important to recognise that a number of the huge monolithic streaming services will probably never collaborate with Roon.
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon
They know Roon is here but they aren’t interested.

1 Like

In general, I think the potential customer base for Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music, for instance, is not the same as that for Roon. Seems to me, people who stream from those services are just streaming to their iPhones and using earbuds, such as my grandkids. Roon users are looking for a totally different music listening experience and are willing to spend a sizable amount of money on hardware and software to get it. I don’t see a lot of overlap.

10 Likes

I have had a roon subscription for a year or so now and while everyone’s point of view will vary I just wanted to say this.

I’m actually stunned at how well it has worked overall. Yes there are a few niggles I hope (and have faith in time will bet addressed) but overall and simply from a system to catalog my CD collection ripped to hard drive and enjoy it it is amazing.

Add to this I built a fan less nuc i3 and I am stunned that it has just continued to work and work. Not 100% trouble free as on vary rare occasions I have had to turn it off and on again (that is all!) and maybe 2 or 3 times over a year.

I do subscribe to Tidal and am very happy with the integration as it allows me to discover more artist based on my library. I do also have an Amazon music account and go to it when needed but it does not diminish Roon in any way that it is not built in (just hurts Amazon a bit as I use it less perhaps).

Adam.

4 Likes

I’m also an Amazon Prime member and gave Amazon HD a fair try. In a nutshell the UI is a mess, as is true of most of Amazon’s properties. I put up with it for e-commerce, but not for music. The sub-par UI is nowhere near Roon by any measure and takes much of the enjoyment out of the experience for me. Of course, YMMV…

1 Like

here we go again… can a moderator just close this? the guy is not even a user anymore…

With regards to Spotify. I got the family plan for my kids. While the SQ is a notch down from Qobuz ,their playlist are second to none. Excellent especially when you don’t have a lot of time to make your own.

I don’t blame Roon for not bending over backwards to try to support amazon.

Years ago companies like Delicious Monster and other apps used Amazon API for product search. It was beneficial to amazon because the bread crumbs led right back to the Amazon store.

Amazon revokes API Library access

Not only that but from the same article John Gruber details the capricious manner in which he was banned as an Amazon affiliate

I told the story a few months ago that I got dumped from Amazon’s affiliate program because of a single article from over a decade ago where I encouraged DF readers to bookmark my Amazon affiliate URL. I actually think that was allowed back when I wrote it, but apparently now it’s against Amazon’s terms. That’s fine. But the way they dumped me was a bit unsettling[…]

This is on brand for Amazon who has never really taken the ethical high ground

Before the Echo Show came to market Amazon had a Amazon Labs product with Alexa support on the market knowing they were destroy the company with the Echo Show lineup.

There’s almost no incentive for developers to work with Amazon Music. People that love music typically don’t bring lowest bidder behavior.

I have an Apple Music account and a Tidal account (with a nice military discount …thanks Tidal!) I’m ok with it I used to spend more per month buying CDs and got way less in music.

Maybe it’ll work out in the end but honestly I’m into supporting smaller companies. This is where you can get vendors to work together.

6 Likes

I very frequently use Apple Music on my Apple TV and airplay it to my LUMIN.

The playlist and station functions work far better than Roon and it’s worth the loss of quantity over Qobuz if you just want to listen to a mix of music.

Technology gives you lots of options to deliver music

2 Likes

I have an Apple Music account and Apple TV 4K, but rarely use either. It’s just not worth the loss of sound quality versus Roon, Tidal, and Qobuz to me. If it was, I would have never purchased these and just used Apple Music, which is free from Verizon Wireless.

2 Likes

Give it a go Jim, just see what it plays…
If you like it transfer the tracks over to a Qobuz playlist.

I just set the atv audio output to my LUMIN, full control via the tv

As I said, I rarely use it. That means I do use it some. I don’t do playlist. I only play full albums. I have synced all my Tidal, Qobuz, and Apple Music albums. I do use Apple Music in my car with CarPlay when not using SiriusXM. I find Apple Music works better than Tidal and Qobuz with CarPlay.

1 Like

OOOO - I knew this post would create a spark.
Roon is not set up for people who are worried about saving $3 or $4 dollars a month. This is not their target consumer. It would similar to asking someone who owns a Ferrari if they are concered about gasoline prices?

Unfortunately I hear a huge difference between a 320kbps file over a Flac or HIRES file, it would of saved me lots of $$$

3 Likes

I don’t understand the hostility towards everyone who posts why they are giving up on Roon. Their reason’s are valid to them. Roon has posted that they welcome posts explaining why one is leaving.

11 Likes

agreed.

kenwood or krell?
marantz or meridian?
sansui or spectral?
bose or bowers & wilkins?
sonos or sonus faber?

mp3 is for one, flac etc. the other.

I am a Prime member and tried Amazon HD but soon ditched it as to me the interface was to clunky. Paid a one year sub for Apple Music when I got my HomePod last December to asses it and again will not renew because of the interface, also AAC sounds pants compared to the Qobuz CD quality streams. £60 more a year is well worth the extra investment.

1 Like

Do I underestand correctly that you replaced streaming platform with local, Tidal and Qobuz support with one closed streaming system (Amazon Music HD). I’m glad it worked out for you. For me, local library support is the main feature of Roon. Tidal, Qobuz and other streaming services are nice to have but optional.

Martin

4 Likes

Tidal connect is a game-changer, although stability still needs to be improved. Easier connection, no need for a server, native interface, same informations than Roon’s, access to My Mix playlists. Library management remains Roon’s essential function. To each according to their needs and priorities.

2 Likes