Why I Left Roon

You sure it’s UPnP? Qobuz does recognze a couple of other output methods though, such as AirPlay and Cast.

Peter I just wanted to say that I found your feedback helpful and constructive as also welcomed by the roon team. It is great to have constructive feedback (both negative and positive) in the forum.
Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank you for the very interesting comment about the future of Roon in the context of the constellation of apps that are in play. It may or may not come to pass but it’s interesting to consider it and it’s a viewpoint I had not thought about.

2 Likes

Moderators have temporarily closed this topic to clear out all of the off topic discussion about who is or isn’t too sensitive to post on the Internet.

An assertion that someone is being overly sensitive may not be name calling but it is an ad hominem attack.

It really is very simple to avoid breaching the guidelines. Don’t talk about other posters.

15 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 2 days.

I thought your opening comments were very reasonable and constructive. And there are some intelligent comments about your original post in this thread but it’s hard reading. The tone of some of the responses in this thread don’t make me want to give up Roon, they just want to make me want to give up audio forums.

11 Likes

That was extremely well put.

Part of the problem is that several early adopters spent a lot of time and money, nuc, nucleus, mini Mac, etc plus a lifetime subscription and they love Roon. When there is negative talk these people take it personally and become defensive. Everyone should lighten up and enjoy the music.

5 Likes

The literal meaning of being “invested” in something.

2 Likes

I actually think this is exactly right that people with lifetime membership are invested (read: demanding, defensive) because in a weird way they feel like owners or at least equity-holders. Cf this thread I started a couple days ago… the psychological incentives are funny, because in reality it’s sunk cost. I love the line that lifetimes are “junk food”:

1 Like

Good question that we’ll never know. Put Roon core on an existing computer and invest $120. Cheap enough to get started without a big commitment.

1 Like

Or just invest $12.99 for a month’s use…

I believe it’s $9.99 a month but paid annually.

Roon has a new monthly subscription for $12.99 per month.

Roon Pricing - Starting From $9.99 / mo | Try It Free (roonlabs.com)

Having Roon manage my local library, Tidal and Qobuz is worth every penny! I have discovered a lot of music in my genres that I have never heard before and it is effortless.

6 Likes

Any piece of software has a learning curve , especially one which is still in development as Roon is (try and get a 100% knowledge of even Word or Excel , let alone Adobe Photoshop).

The 14 day trial barely scratches the surface , my solution was to do a $120 trial i.e. do a year that way you at least get to the bottom of a lot of the good, the bad and the ugly and decide whether its worth pursuing.

Committing to Roon and indirectly to RAAT introduces it costs as prior to RAAT, DLNA ruled the roost so hardware was not RAAT compatible. Being a high end product Roon ,in the beginning, attracted Hi End hardware so the commitment was even higher. The Rpi / RoPieee revolutionized how you could make a relatively low cost entry into Roon.

Considering what I have spent on hi fi and media over my 50 years of listening the cost involved in software is trivial, as I suspect from the “show your system” thread I am not alone.

I am an annual subscriber , year 5 next week (alas I didn’t do Annual at the start) and during that time Roon has changed and I think improved . I am NOT a fanboy , I have some serious complaints against Roon being a classical listener but equally in my opinion there is nothing comparable out there, I have tried many and chosen few (just JRiver in parallel for my video needs)

Roon is not for everyone, my wife would bin it tomorrow as too complicated, but given a level of “perseverance” can pay dividends. I am retired and have more time than many to wander around my library.

Criticism of people who enthuse is wrong , let them enthuse, if it weren’t for an enthusiastic love of music none of us would be here

Each to their own , this is my 2p

1 Like

Not my experience.

1 Like

Who were you replying to ?