Why I Left Roon

It’s clear from reading all these comments that we all have different interests and priorities when searching for the ultimate integration of all of our audio devices around our homes. I have been expanding my horizons and learning a lot lately. I have a pretty nice home theatre set up and most recently have been branching out to adding sound throughout the rest of my home using Amazon Alexa devices. I did not choose the Alexa devices, it chose me. I have Parkinson’s disease, and when I discovered the awesome power of Alexa voice control for me to control my thermostat, lighting, security cameras, tv, stereo, etc. I fell head over heels for Alexa. Anyway, I found it disappointing to find out this morning that I must look elsewhere for a pc based integration of my music library because for whatever reason Roon and Amazon can’t play in the same sandbox. In my case, Amazon wins and Roon loses. Thanks for the free trial. I really was enjoying getting it set up and was looking forward to using it!

1 Like

You have a use case that I am not going to argue with one iota - do what works and enjoy the music! Alexa has been transformative for a number of people I know because of age or ability. I personally have a lot of privacy concerns, but they would be trumped in a moment by the interface if I needed them to. And even though we say we don’t like Alexa, we have one in the kitchen which we use as a fancy kitchen timer so we too have given in.

For what it’s worth, Alexa integrates very nicely in my home with Spotify & Sonos, and so that’s what the rest of my family largely uses. On the occasions when I am using Roon & Tidal on a Sonos zone and they ask Alexa to change music in the same Sonos zone the 2 systems occasionally get in a tussle of fighting over control of a zone and starting, pausing, restarting (or not allowing a pause)… but I view that as a small price to pay to keep everyone happy, even though everyone gets puzzled by the “ghosts” for a while.

Far more importantly, enjoy the music and good luck!

1 Like

Hi Bill.

I wish you a fast recovery from your health challenges.

Roon is different from Amazon. Roon is a suitable solution in case you are looking for the best audio quality due to its integration with real HD music service providers like Qobuz and Tidal. on top of that Roon offers tons of additional value-added services. in my case, I have subscriptions with Roon and Qobuz and a lifetime subscription with Roon. That gives me a complete solution.

1 Like

Easy, I used the software and was enjoying it so I purchased the lifetime subscription. You would figure a program this good would have basic playlist management. It does not, should have tested that first. Otherwise I wouldn’t have purchased the lifetime subscription. Overall its’ a great product, but really the ability to export a playlist in the order it is created is not included? That’s not much to ask for? It already does exports a playlist to excel file. What about just putting it in order?

I agree Matthew.

Have you gone to the “feature request” section and detailed exactly how you thinks they can improve playlist management? If not, it might not be a bad idea.

Better yet!!! I just saw “We want your ideas for playlists” pop up. Try that topic!