Why I VERY nearly didn't Renew my Membership

That’s the only hint we have.

I suspect the Mac OS mend soaked up a fair bit of resource

The whole box set thing is still key to me but I reckon is woefully low on the list

I came across this 2 year old thread

Very little has changed from my original post, except I was wrong on 2 counts

Cambridge Audio have embraced Roon
Mobile hasn’t made it yet

As predicted Qobuz has been integrated

Beyond that , a lot of stuff but none that addresses the original gripes

1.8 is coming but so is Christmas :joy:

No threats of leaving just a level of dissatisfaction and disappointment, 8 days to decide…

Buy a lifetime subscription and you don’t need to worry about it.

Or drop to monthly for a bit to wait out 1.8

Do either of you understand the frustration , are you classical listeners ?

2 Likes

In that case, let Roon expire and use something else for a while. You can always come back later.

1 Like

It’s OK. It’s not life-or-death situation…

I feel your frustration. On one hand, Roon seems like the type of small company that cares greatly about their product and should care about their user base (unless their goal is to get acquired and go live on yachts) – but on the other hand, it doesn’t seem like they engage much with the hardcore users who encounter serious issues. It’s the users who love the product the most and stretch the boundaries of what it can do who will evangelize their friends and family about it, growing the userbase.

Yet I have seen very few examples on this forum (especially in threads from the last 6 months or so) where they have said “We hear what you are saying, and we’re working on it. What specifically could we do to make your experience better and/or fix the frustrations you are having?” Instead we’re all just kinda left in the dark as to whether Roon is working on fixing these issues or if they think things are fine as-is.

I’m pretty sure that someone from Roon reads each and every thread on this forum, which is mildly reassuring. Due to the recent Black Friday deal, I haven’t invested a lot into the platform financially (only my time to set it up and tinker) so I’m a bit more patient than I would be had I paid for an annual membership and seen no changes or updates after a year or whatever. My big complaint is with Roon Radio (it’s repetitive, and limited to a single starting point, which gets boring) so I’ll give it a year and see if they add any features to fix it in 2021.

Although not a particular issue for me the box set issue has been around for the 4 odd years I’ve used Roon.

I suspect they are not adding a good solution because they are waiting for the perfect solution.

I think it’s time to go with good.

.sjb

Funny… I have a tendency to avoid box sets BECAUSE they are a pain to rip and tag…

I effectively do the same I avoid using Big Boxes (>20) in Roon as Hyperlink Hell simply isn’t navigable.

I keep all my big boxes in JRiver where I can define how they look via customized views. I am fortunate that DLNA works for me , I see many users that don’t have that luxury.

Where boxes contain discrete “previous releases” I “extract” the album into Roon. Its maintenance but until Roon comes up with a viable solution its the best I’ve found the keep both sides running.

It means 2 sets of everything but I got nothing better to do so …

Even something so simple as allowing a Disc Subtitle editable tag and a dropdown to navigate would help. It would throw the work back to the user to maintain the subtitles but at least it could work.

I suspect the perfectionist nature of Roon is showing through, they cannot bring them selves to release a less than perfect solution and allowing something editable rather than automatic

Alas …

3 Likes

Perfect is the enemy of good. Iterative delivery is key. Good architecture is key. I suspect that Roon is an ages-old architecture pulled from the early days of Sooloos. Not everyone has the balls to make real change.

Look how well that worked for Coca-Cola.

I don’t know that case, but I know plenty of cases where it worked perfectly - in fact it’s the only way it could have worked.

That was a reference to “New Coke,” a total failure by Coca-Cola.

Ok, but that’s not what I mean. In fact I mean the contrary.

What I am talking about is both having a well designed architecture, and an efficient process of evolution to deliver new incremental functionality.

For example, why is track-based DSP so hard? Because it looks like Roon is explicitly built around DSP associated with a zone. So there’s likely no means of inserting a DSP stage prior to zone routing. This in my opinion is a real miss in design, a large one.

I have worked in banking for a long time. I know software because I build it. There are firms (top tier firms!) where some team in IT designed and implemented a risk system. The problem is none of these people have any idea what a ledger is. So this system does not understand cash or cash accrual, even though it can calculate the price of complex derivatives. This is stupidity at its finest.

The same holds true in my opinion with infrastructures that are architecturally handicapped because those designing it did not really understand the problem well enough. And such architectures are like concrete: once you build upon a mis-shapen foundation, you’re screwed. I have to assume this is some of the issues with Roon given how little the platform has evolved in the last 2-3 years. Sad.

PS: Having said all this, it might be the case that the reason for the lack of progress on obviously wanted features is so slow is simply working on something else (what is that?) or not working on it at all (lack of funding? noone is jumping to buy you out?). I don’t know. What is pretty clear is my frustration with this stale product.

I was simply making the point that this did not work for Coke. That’s all.

I get that. But I wanted to clarify exactly where I am coming from. Thx.

1 Like

Surly you use DSP to tune your system and room, if you want to apply this to each track you really have something wrong with your system.

A well put together system should not need manipulation of the sound as audiophile’s keep saying the objective is to output the same sound as the original recording not tune your system to what you think you want to hear.

I apply no DSP at any level, the sound is how I designed my system.

3 Likes