Why I will not buy Roon

I know where you are coming from in terms of having well worn grooves in your musical life. I have maybe 20 albums that I play regularly. (Grateful Dead Reckoning is one that I have been listening to for decades all. the. time.) I tend to have about 5 or 10 go-to albums in a genre that I must enjoy regularly. And I have about 6 major genres that I listen to regularly. So I made a tag called “desert island” which currently has 60 albums of my 2318 total library of albums (all mine nothing from tidal or qobuz).

Like you, I go through moods or phases where some of my core albums get neglected and another one comes in to take it’s place (Shelby Lynn, Just a Little Lovin’ is hot right now in my world). But over the years my tastes have shifted a LOT and my 2300 albums reflect that.

Back when I was doing the vinyl thing, I had 24 linear feet of records. but that all went away.

If I didn’t have all these albums and their history, I would be like @Jim_F and just stream everything. If I was a kid starting out, I’d have an apple music account and never look back (I wouldn’t own a thing). But back when I was in my Larval stages, there wasn’t streaming or digital, so we bought music if we wanted to hear music.

Sheldon

2 Likes

Thank you for this post.

1 Like

In a strange way, I think I can relate to all of these perspectives. When I started listening to music seriously, you could only purchase, and I enjoyed collecting (LPs, at the time). I had very limited resources, so acquired only about a 100 albums, but I was proud of them!

Later, moving to CDs, I only had time to listen while working, had re-acquired the earlier LPs and expanded my collection to perhaps 300 albums. At this point I had a core of perhaps 40 albums I would listen to a lot.

After a lull of many years of not listening to music (various reasons), I started again two years ago. Six months in, I found myself rather suddenly not wanting to listen to my old music any more (mostly rock), and pining for classical/jazz. At this point, I started collecting again, but now classical. (For me, classical via streaming doesn’t do it – it has to be multichannel).

And then most recently I discovered that I really enjoy listening to streamed Jazz via Qobuz (having always sneered at streaming services).

So for me all of the above have worked at various points – collecting to the extent of my resources; having a small core of favorites; streaming; feeling like I have a huge (virtual) library via streaming. I haven’t ever had anywhere near hundreds of thousands of tracks I really own, but I think I understand the interest in it.

1 Like

There aren’t many subscribers from West Africa. Or really anywhere other than the US/UK/AUS.

Germany/Netherlands…perhaps some others?

2 Likes

I can see the added value of such feedback, especially for the continuous optimization of the product. I still find the chosen title and the way it is presented suboptimal. But that’s no reason for you to insinuate things and become personal.

One aspect of Roon I’m not sure about is the 2 album Recommended bit , it distracts me and leads me away from what I had chosen

On the other hand it takes you to stuff to try

Decisions decisions, I get easily led astray :crazy_face:

I apologize.

2 Likes

Which app do you mean?
H

Good point. That could equally apply to a whole range of apps and goods. I’m not making a straightforward comparison, nor am I arguing whether the following are value for money, eg I have to pay Adobe $20/ month to use creative cloud, plus pay Tidal, Netflix, Office365, and what about the rip-off mobile phone suppliers? I could go on…Roon $10month seems to be where software subscription is landing per se.

Interestingly of the above Roon gives me highest satisfaction, whereas the mobile phone subscription $Price just makes me angry.

As someone else pointed out you pays yer money and you makes your choice.
H

This is the global map of subscribers who have put themselves on the map. Only Roon Labs knows the true picture.

I think the OP’s thoughts on Roon are valid and legitimate, and he had every right to make them. Plus his last name was a battlecruiser, so how many can say that?

However, if every one of his issues were addressed in Roon, it would not make a 1% difference to how I use Roon. That is how differently we all consume our music. This is why I’d love to see a bit more in terms of configuration options. And maybe a bit more open mindedness from the Roon Is Already Perfect crowd.

6 Likes

Funny in that that’s one of my favorite parts fo Roon. Again, more ammunition for the customization of Roon views. Of course this will never happen because, like the byzantine delete process for virtual titles, Roon doesn’t trust it’s users. Would be nice to maybe someday split off into a Pro version that can be highly customized and a set and forget easy version.

If I had to listen to the same eight to ten albums over and over again I think I’d quit listening to music. I have about 3,500 albums in my library and I listen to them on shuffle probably about four hours a day on average. If I listen every day (which I don’t), that amounts to about a year and a half of music. I’ve developed a focus that doesn’t play anything that’s been played before. So if I stop adding new music, In a year and a half I should be out of music to play. At which point I will modify my focus so it only plays music that hasn’t been played more than once. And it starts all over again. I’ve already gone through this process twice in the last ten years so I know it can be done. I never listen to the same song twice in a short time period unless I want to. Suits me fine.

3 Likes

Hey Nostro,

When I say they slowly get replaced…it’s by ME!!! Not Roon Radio or Valence (which I have never heard of nor use). Like take The Rippingtons, their latest album (2019 Open Road) has been in rotation since it’s release…Yet I have like 18 other Rippingtons albums that sneak in to my rotation…but you can bet the second they come out with a new album, probably next year, it will be immediately be put in my rotation…

When I was into vinyl, I was addicted to Mobile Fidelity re-issues and also their Direct to Discs but soon learned to dis-like the surface noise from vinyl (and the ensuing “damage or footprint” every different stylus would leave on my pristine collection) and that’s when Digital started to come of age…I never looked back!

Different strokes for different folks! So you never hear the same song twice?

Apparently hearing Sir Mix-A-Lot sing the praises of full figured women once every 18 months is enough for him. That’s just not enough for me, but each person has his own needs. :smiley:

3 Likes

I just discovered I have that particular Shelby Lynn album…I’m gonna go check it out now! Thanks Sheldon!

Did you use to be a Dusty Springfield fan?

1 Like

Off topic I know, but the Shelby Lynn album and the original Dusty album are both fantastic!

1 Like

There are quite a few from my understanding. One that I own is Bubble, which works flawlessly from my experience.

:smiley: