Why I will not buy Roon

Hey Larry,

Yes, I understood you; you misunderstood me. I meant they never get replaced or superceded by me & not Roon. :smiley:

As for surface noise (not wanting to change this topic); I’ve found over the years that all but a very small minority have any surface noise. A proper wet clean etc typically alleviates any issues.

Cheers!

Gosh - there’s a blast from the past. I still have a Sit Mix-A-Lot album on vinyl. nOt sure it was ever a fav and trying to recall what tracks he rapped!

:thinking:

Thank God the forum makes it easy to switch from Tracking to Normal.

3 Likes

Or even Mute.

3 Likes

In US, Europe, Australia, the subscriber list looks like a population map (except NL is disproportionally high). Other popular Roon subscriber countries include Russia, China, Japan, South Korea.

South America, especially Brazil, is picking up a lot of subscribers lately. There was a lot of credit card fraud coming out of Brazil for a bit, and I think some of those fraudsters helped translate the app into Brazilian Portuguese, which helped pick up legit subscribers.

The same thing happened in Russia.

5 Likes

I take it that Africa is low, from the forum I think there are only a few of us in South Africa

1 Like

Every once in a while I’ll listen to a favorite album, but mostly I don’t listen to the same song twice. As I said, once every couple of years I’ll do a reset and start listening to the whole library over again. But I’ve been adding so much new music it might be longer before I do a reset this time.

I have a little over 1000 albums linked in Tidal and the same 1000 in Qobuz. While I frequently listen to one’s I haven’t heard in a while, I find myself also listening to my handful of favorites several times a week.

1 Like

Well I have Roon, but some how seemed to not be able to get paying for it in my head.
I mainly use Apple Music, mainly because I like its play list.

Although not really using it I’ve always kept up with the forum to see what’s changed.

After reading this I did some maths and decided to do Roon but feed with a yearly Qobuz plan to keep the cost down.

I decided as I’ve just retired if I can pay £35 a month for SKY TV why not also have the best music, seems a shame to have a Lumin D2 and Roskan Blak amp and not feed them with the best files.

I have been using Roon for two years already but there are some hindrances to it. The worst thing is the Roon radio, it’s useless when I want some music to sleep to - I can start with Katie Melua and somehow it will end up with The Scorpions or some obscure Asian stuff.

Hi I was excited to think there was a competitor for Roon, but I think Danny will be laughing all the way to bank. I’m sure it’s a fine product of course.

If this the same bubble you mean then there isn’t even an Apple version from my searches so I can’t try it out.

If your total system cost is for example $1000 then over a three period Roon is 36% of overall costs so I would agree it’s a not insignificant cost compared to your overall music expenditure.

Using this basic analysis and say Roon ought to be no more than 10% of overall system costs, and assuming you change your system every 3 years, then the system cost would be a minimum $3600 to justify Roon on this basic assumption. Of course everyone will have their own views on the appropriate %.

$3600 can get you a good integrated DAC, amp, and speakers eg chord qutest, marantz amp and KEF LS50 (and using your laptop which you’d have anyway).

For anyone with systems > $3600 then Roon is very low cost indeed. For my system it’s a tiny tiny percentage.

Cheers
H

If your total system cost is $1000, you might not need Roon or any high resolution music system at all. Just use Spotify or Apple Music.

1 Like

Yup, I thought I’d make up a formula for all the “it’s too expensive” comments!

PS Spotify is $10 a month so a not insignificant costs for a $500 mobile phone user over 3 years.

But let’s not forget the incredible artists behind all this steaming, ultimately the vast majority still get paid a % pittance, i still buy physical files of title I love.

:grin::grin::grin:
Cheers
H

2 Likes

And free Spotify is free.

Careful, I can put together a $1000 system that will be pretty solid :smiley:

Quad ESL-63’s (broken) $400
Rebuild Kit $200
nCore NC122MP $300
rPi and Hat $100

That said apple music is super nice from a usability standpoint. I can use it anywhere, and in many ways it does a better job.

I use Apple Music in the car with CarPlay. It seems to work best. I get it for free from Verizon Wireless.

I don’t think you can beat Apple Music for functionality , if they ever offer high def it will be a winner.

1 Like

I’m not so sure - I loathe the Apple Music interface and hardly ever use it on my iOS devices. iTunes was much better IMHO.

JRiver for me, my library initially loads to JRiver, then is copied to Roon, thus JRiver lets me stream my music anywhere I want, and my phone has Tidal and Qobuz apps so I have it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no music of my own. I stream Tidal and Qobuz, but Apple Music seems to work better with CarPlay. On the other hand, I usually use SiriusXM in the car.