Why I will not buy Roon

Sheldon, not gonna lie - if you can get the ESL-63’s fixed for $200…my 57’s cost almost 2 grand for a rebuild. Both 57 and 63 can be considered ‘end game’ speakers for many listeners.

You are right. I charge $1500 to do a complete rebuild on modern 4 panel quads like the ESL-63’s and I charge $2000 for a complete rebuild of the original quad ESL’s. But if you want to do it yourself, you can buy a rebuild kit from ER Audio for $280 aus ($200 USD):

I agree with your assessment, the Quad ESL’s are outstanding speakers for sure. I got my first set of original Quad ESL’s in 1995 for $300, and I used them with a Dyna ST-70 I pulled out of a dumpster at work.

Sheldon

Low, but not that low… ~1% in South Africa (our largest market in Africa). Also note that while this forum is busy, but there are significantly more people who use Roon than use this forum.

1 Like

Thanks Danny interesting to know I am not alone. SA hi fi is a fairly big business in SA , probably more so than other African states

1 Like

Why would anyone want to change their system every three years?

Markus,
I think it’s great that you took the time to give so much detail - especially since I suspect English isn’t your first language.
For anyone creating anything - having credible and detailed explanations of why - rather than " I just don’t like it" are FAR more helpful - even if ultimately your issues are not solved - at least the feedback has been given and @mike has heard it.

I’m a newbie to Roon - only been here since the beginning of the year and love what it provides for me.
I’m not a real user of Roon Radio (other than by accident when I have forgotten to tee up more of my music in the queue). I have thousands of music files (many never released) in several places on my network, and I also have a growing number of endpoints.
I subscribe to Tidal Masters and Qobuz too.
The ability to see and control all this content from ONE place and one easy to use app - is reason enough. Then the content and links between artists, genres and tracks makes it just so easy to lose a few hours of listening - and discover more. With a big library - Discover is also great.
Controlling endpoints and switching between (and grouping) has made life a LOT easier around my home too - so this is another huge benefit for me.

My ONLY (and probably impossible) wish would be the ability to use the hardware volume control on the iPad/iPhone to conrol the selected endpoint volume - even when the screen is off… otherwise its a scrabble to get to a physical control or a mad panic hunt to turn on the device switch to (or load) the app and then find the volume part in the app when the phone rings or someone calls at the door… very tricky.

My listening habits and needs are clearly very different from yours - and mine are REALLY well catered for with Roon. So I’m a very happy bunny.
It’s a real shame it hasn’t worked for you and your needs - yet.
Give it a few more months and come back - you never know…

6 Likes

That was just an example to use 3 years, substitute whatever works for you. Cheers
H

Eighteen years and still counting on the amplifier at present…

1 Like

Some of my older pieces in my collection:

Original Quad ESL’s, made in 1972; 48 years old
Quad II amps, made in 1965; 55 years old
Quad 22 preamp, made in 1965; 55 years old
HK Citation II, made in 1960; 60 years old

Man, I’ve gotta clean some of this old junk out…

Sheldon

Do not complain, most of the things done these days are (un)natural born junk… The word vintage will soon disappear.

Send me the quads …:grinning:

I used to run ESL’s… sold thirty odd years ago. Just didn’t work in our current house.

I chuckled when I saw: Marshmello, Halsey, Calvin Harris, Doja Cat

When I complained about this kind of stuff a year or two ago I was told it was because there is very little Roon data available for this kind of music. Low number of Roon listeners.

I don’t know if this is still the main reason but I have similar issues.

I bought my old man (dad) a Roon lifetime license and all the Roon playback gear and he loves Roon Radio - with Santana, Fleetwood Mac, Miles Davis, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Fourplay etc etc.

For radio mode discovery with very modern and popular tracks, I found Roon quite horrible compared to Spotify and Tidal apps.

I’m a lifetime member also but for radio discovery I’ve basically given up using Roon for this. I do use Roon every now and then for other things though.

The Tidal app has been getting lots of great updates the past couple years. It’s very nice!

And like I said, my old man loves every feature of Roon, so I’m not hating.

1 Like

Suggest to him that he check out The Rippingtons…from your list above, he should enjoy them…

Me too because I have no idea who those people are…

Now I know those people, they are in my library…

:smiley:

1 Like

They’re in mine too :wink:

I invested a year ago
And I could not agree more
Roon changed the way “hard users” can enjoy their music

The funny fact is: I installed and uninstalled Roon several times during 2018 and 2019 thinking it is too buggy and simply not for me. By the end of 2019, I had an excellent headphone setup to enjoy music. And Roon came like a revolution for my everyday use

7 Likes

Just saw this but feeling it over the holiday. Roon algo is crap and Pandora always manages to find the right track, even lesser known tracks, in Jazz and other Genres. I do wonder how Roon is building their algo’s as they aren’t very good or sensible.

I so completely agree!

2 Likes

I think the OP put a lot of time and energy into his experience. Roon wants this feedback. This was a good post and if you don’t like the post (which you pretty much know from the title), don’t open it. The OP even posted suggestions which not all do. I do think the OP could have posted first with some requests for help.

• mostly agree on Roon Radio
  • totally agree on Roon not calling one track an “Album”
  • totally agree on the request for greater Tidal integration

Thanks @Markus_Derflinger for posting!

2 Likes