Why I will not buy Roon

Thoughtfully criticizes Roon is one thing. It’s the people that are leaving that have to tell Roon and everyone else why that troubles me. I am going over to the grocery store later and I will tell them why I am not buying sliced bread anymore. No one care why you are leaving. Just go. If you are planning to stay and want to tell Roon how to improve then that is constructive.

[Moderated]

9 Likes

This forum is unicorns and rainbows compared to some, i.e. the HUG (Harbeth User Group) being a great example in music land.
I love my Harbeths put I don’t post on the HUG anymore.
Unless you bow and tow the HUG manifesto you are labelled a trouble maker.
I had posts physically removed by the mods for politely stating that I happily drive a pair of Compact 7 with a 70 wpc tube amp.
I kid you not.

5 Likes

Roon just works for me. I stream mostly '60’s and '70’s rock from Tidal and Qobuz. I listen to full albums and when the album ends, Roon Radio kicks in with appropriate tracks based on what I was listening to.

3 Likes

Everything in life comes down to your requirements. People, places, and stuff. If you’re lucky, you’ll get more of what you need and that will be enough. Enjoy what you have for as long as you can.

I originally paid $120 for Roon for the simple purpose of sending Tidal streaming music across the room from my laptop to my Oppo 203 and Bose sound system. It quickly became apparent Roon was so much more, I opted for a lifetime subscription and purchased a Roon Nucleus. Then, along came Qobuz also. Being retired for 16 1/2 years, I listen to music almost all day, every day.

9 Likes

Unless you read the other thread where a poor user gets Bruce Springsteen in his Roon Radio feed no matter what he WAS listening to. :smiley:

Sheldon

Fortunately, I rarely get Bruce. He’s not so bad once is a while.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon. Roon Radio just took me from Pearl Jam to Toby Keith. That’s a little weird.

Edit: Better now, back to The Doors. I guess Toby Keith got thrown in to see if I was paying attention. Certainly not a reason I would decide not to purchase Roon.

5 Likes

He wasn’t leaving because he never started in the first place (unless one considers a trial something other than a trial). And most of his points were valid - Radio/Valence is a mess - and a few different in scope from what Roon really is, and he can be criticized back and/or guided for those. RE Radio, nothing like listening late at night to Eno’s Ambient Music for Airports and then have Radio come on blasting Baby’s on Fire. Yes, both Eno, but dramatically different music and moods. Or with jazz (usually better) there’s that one damn current Sonny Rollin’s album that always pokes up no matter how many times I thumb it down, almost as if the label is paying for it to play over and over again.

Condescension often begets condescension. But I’ll be more careful in the future.

9 Likes

The difference is that no one in the grocery store has any influence on improving the quality or format of the sliced bread and, therefore, it would be pointless to tell them.

The value of his contribution has nothing to do with his continued presence.

16 Likes

Thank you @Markus_Derflinger for spending seemingly a lot of time formulating your thoughts. It’s refreshing to see a different perspective on the software.

While I am not affected by the “everything in the Roon’s world is an album” issue, I can imagine this must be an instant dealbreaker for some. Especially in today’s world where albums become less and less relevant, being replaced by streaming of singles or genre/mood playlists.

And yeah - Roon Radio sucks big time. The random picks are… too random to make sense IMHO. Spotify or Tidal absolutely demolish the Valence for modern pop, rock or metal. Also, Roon is a strictly album-oriented piece of software but you cannot even play a whole album using the Radio? Like seriously? And the situation does not get much better outside of the Radio - you cannot random-play full albums from your library either, unless you install a third-party extension.

And I could continue further:

• How the heck do I filter albums rated with 3.5 stars?

• How do I create a functional bookmark for albums with less than 3 star rating? When applied, it always search for albums with less than 49.5+ star rating for me. :smiley:

• Why do I keep loosing manually inserted artist images or other information (typically genre) at times, randomly? Not even backup and restore is able to bring everything 100% back all the time, getting random bugs occassionally.

• Why is RAAT and the whole LAN streaming experience so blackbox-y, with annoying random track skipping despite replacing literally everything in my audio signal chain? Roon might be among the most unpredictable systems experienced by me in years in audio.

• Why is the Roon Overview screen so bad? I want to see a comprehensive overview of my music world, not an overview of personal avatar and a lot of blank space around.

• Why I cannot upload my own images for genres, since Roon is not able to ensure it itself? Do I really need to stare at generic grey boxes called “Pop”, “Rock” or “Heavy Metal”?

• Why do I need to “favourite” every artist in my library to really ensure any new release would be displayed to me in the “New Releases For Your” section?

• Why are the search and focus engines so limited? I need complex boolean queries, based on more than a single condition!

• Why I cannot rate multiple albums at once? Why I cannot favourite multiple artists at once?

• Why Roon cannot identify an album already identified (with metadata) by Tidal/Qobuz?

• Why is the side menu so rigid? I only use like three items from the list. Especially the “Tracks” section is laughable - does anyone even have any use case for it? It’s so badly executed.

Should I continue further?

19 Likes

[Moderated] Do you like anything about Roon?

1 Like

Who cares. Don’t buy it.

Im quite new to Roon (circa 4 months).
The main reason I started using it is that I have an extensive Sonos system throughout a big house (feeding 3 Hi-Fi rigs plus numerous one box speakers).
As Sonos users will know, they started to mess with a product that wasn´t broken and they started locking products out and forcing use of 2 x controllers.
So, then I found out Sonos can be controlled via Roon.
So, I subscribed to Roon.
Then I ripped 20 000 tracks from my CDs in the attic.
Then I took a Tidal subscription.
Then I setup a NUC to run ROCK.
Now I can start to swap out some old Sonos gear, and keep some of it, and control it all in Roon.
Im a vinyl collector at heart and still collect and play vinyl, but Roon is here to stay.
I love Roon, I think its a great product.
Yes it has some niggles but none of them are anywhere near show-stoppers for me.
Long live Roon !

7 Likes

In general, I despise posters of threads like this. To whit -

In this case, the OP appears to be trying to make some valid points, whether others have the same experience or not.

8 Likes

Then make it a single:

If you are using MP3Tag you can also add the tag:
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE and set the value to SINGLE
Then in Roon, edit the Album and set the Album Type to Single.
Then it will show up under singles instead of Albums, if that matters to you.

It’s a shame you never tried to get answers to some of your problems before you quit. The Roon Community can be very helpful.

4 Likes

Thanks @Markus_Derflinger. I bought Roon, and I enjoy it, but I agree it is a real pain for organizing EDM tracks. Trying to organize my Autechre collection was a nightmare.

2 Likes

We do. This kind of feedback is really helpful for us, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know @Markus_Derflinger.

Detailed info like this is legitimately helpful for the team as we work to improve the product, so thank you. Hope to see you back in the future!

43 Likes

Just curious, are you trying to get Roon to improve something?

I do think the poster has a point. I think allot of folks are splitting into 2 camps. One just wants to throw on the radio, the other wants to dig around and find the perfect LP to spin for his mood. Nothing new here. The folks that really love Roon are the ones that love to explore their vinyl collection although now its a digital collection. Roon is absolutely amazing in its ability to suck you down the rabbit hole for hours finding new artists, new albums, new composers etc. On the other hand if you just want to scan the dial and find a cool station, well Tidal’s or Spotify’s way of finding music that fits your mood is wonderful indeed. You just don’t need Roon if thats the way you listen. There are days when I used to just turn on my Yamaha Ct 7000 tuner, spin the knob to something and let it play all day. Other days, I started digging in my vinyl or my tapes. ( I still do! ). So Roon lets me dig and find stuff in my 4TB’s of local music and finds stuff on Tidal that I would never ever discover on the Tidal app or Audirvanna. Its good the poster knows what he wants and knows the Tidal app can do that for him. I am not sure it’s what Roon should focus on. Just my thoughts.

Ken

7 Likes

I rarely (never?) respond to these incomprehensible posts, but Roon Radio alone makes Roon worth ten times the price. Roon is an absolute steal, especially at this price. Shhhh…

4 Likes