Why is Apple CarPlay Prioritized Over Android Auto?

I get that the “cool kid” all buy Apple products but from raw numbers the Android ecosphere is far larger.

I also understand that accessory/after market companies know that Apple users are willing to pay 2X+ for the same functionality as long as the Apple logo is involved but that doesn’t change the fact of volume.

I’m an iPhone user, and your question seems legit to me.

Any reason you needed to denigrate iPhone users (twice in just five lines!) to ask that legitimate question?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Why does this matter? Roon has introduced an Android app.

1 Like

I’ve tried the early release and it’s not appearing in Android Auto.

Because Android Auto integration is a HUGE benefit to ROON. I’m new to ROON but this type of commitment from the company goes a long way to making me a permanent customer.

Read my post again.

1 Like

Didn’t mean it as a denigration more of a statement of fact from my observations. I work for a major hardware OEM and I’ve bought products from our competitors when it’s my personal $$ and I see a better $ value.

I don’t think it’s political.
If I have two tasks that need doing I’d likely do the less complex task first.

4 Likes

Not sure if this was in reply to me?

I replied to the OP.

1 Like

And that’s why they are doing it. Does it really matter that CarPlay was released a few weeks before Auto?

2 Likes

Then you should report in the Earlyaccess category in case you haven’t, to get this sorted so that AAuto becomes better and can be released sooner

It’s called a sense of entitlement, I think.

4 Likes

Someone else has already reported the exact same issue. [moderated]

Yeah so then it will get fixed and there you have one reason why it’s not released yet

Hey @james_borrego_resner,

First, let’s take a breath, not jump to negative conclusions, or pick fights with folks who will happily help you.

Our development decisions weren’t in the least bit prejudicial. I can absolutely assure you of that. It’s always better to just ask the question politely without automatically assuming the worst.

Our QA lead posted some advice elsewhere that may also help you:

How was Roon ARC installed: via APK file or via Play Store?
If via APK, they will have to reinstall via Play Store:
Important: To get the beta version of an app, the app must already be installed on your device.

1. Open the Play Store.
  2. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
  3. Tap Manage apps & devices → Installed.
  4. Tap the Roon app to open its detail page.
  5. Under “Join the beta,” tap Join → Join.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the Roon ARC app if installed on your device

Please, let me know if that helps.

1 Like

That person may not be using the same device you are. Your report would be helpful to us.

1 Like

Thanks. Had previously updated via the direct APK option that was detailed on the Roon site but did above. Didn’t seem to trigger an update so likely the APK I installed is the latest.

I don’t know 100% how this works on Android, but in my experience after installing from APK there were never any further updates through the Play Store (Beta). To get Play Store updates back, I always had to uninstall the APK and reinstall the Beta from the Play Store. Which makes sense to me as well, because if I install a specific APK I probably don’t want the Play Store to override it.

So make sure you have the latest earlyrelease build. (Check in the ARC app under settings)