Why is Roon endpoint on Android different from other Apps?

I am just wondering why the Android App of Roon works different than other apps running on Android (e.g. Tidal, Qobuz, BluOS, …).
E.g. it’s not supporting split screens, or floating screens.
Is ths a design decision or just “backlog” from old times?

Sorry, if this topic was discussed somewhere else. I could not find a similar thread.

Thanks!

It’s a cross platform app that is not really Native on iOS or Android.

There is more subtly than that, but it covers most of it

Thank you for your fast reply!
Although, this does not tell me much. :wink:

To summarize it in another way: it does not fully take advantage of any platform. Sorry - no offense.

It does not take advantage of any platform no, each one has its own draw back too (it’s ios app doesn’t support 120 fps and is a bit of a mess performance wise).

If you have a Samsung phone you can use the labs section in settings to force all apps to support multi window, Roon included.

Actually will say, the app is compared too roon itself or ARC more the forgotten orphan of the family…
There are at least two major UI flaws at least in Android…

• no go to queue option from any screen
  • no go to plying now from queue screen (back sends you to the last viewed album) … And no volume control in this screen ither

And in general - nobody really thought about precise volume control considering this will be used also on much smaller screens or phones

On my android phone bringing up the now playing screen has NOW PLAYING and QUEUE at the top. You can tap either to go back and forth without hitting the back arrow.

Are we talking about the phone?

Not sure if I am missing something or why this isn’t enough, but…

Not with one click, but click the play bar at the bottom and then the Queue tab

On the Queue tab it shows the currently playing track at the top, tap the album cover to go to the album. Or tap the Now Playing tab to go back to it.

True but one tap takes you back to the Now Playing tap and it has volume there. And hardware buttons work on the Queue tab.

Sure … But literally evry other musuic app can do it with one :thinking:… soo, shouldn’t be hard.
And tapping ones on the bottom of the screen and then on the top to get it is perhaps even more ridiculous from UI design point of view

Cool … This is somehow a passable solution :+1::slightly_smiling_face:… Didn’t knew it

1 Like

I guess it depends on the usage. I basically never go to the queue because I play albums and the album track list gives me the same info, but with playlists I see your point

Sorry I was heading out and thought I would shoot you a quick reply but not a lot of explanation.

Though you got the answer anyway :grinning:

Roon try to keep the app functioning the same way across the different platforms.
It doesn’t really make much use of native features of either mobile ecosystem

Thanks to all of you.
Very interesting background information.

I don’t see an on-screen volume control on Spotify, Qobuz, or Tidal phone apps. What’s wrong with using the phone’s volume buttons?

Yes, that’s true …
Actually on the phone i use also the hardware buttons.
For me the problem is more on small tablets. 10-12" where the onscreen volume control is still a bit small for precise use and the buttons are not so convenient either.
Perhaps a niche problem … but still, is also about consistency - if all your functions can be manipulated nice on a touch display, why only this one is done so poorly and force you using another type of input. Or just to have an option to tune it a little bit for your taste. Actually is not only this function. The progress bar is also to short :slight_smile: At least on andoid it uses the whole screen wide.

If you need to control the volume on grouped players the hardware button is possibly a bit tricky.

And another thing missing on Android… Widget
Every other player on Android has widgets with play, pouse, next, album art …

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.