Why is Roon now Buy before you try? [it's not]

I directed friend to try Roon but he said that the website asked him for a credit card number and it said that he would be billed (ongoing) after 7 days unless he cancelled. He said there there was no option for a free trial.

Seems like your friend was misinformed:

1 Like

I think, like all free trials, your credit card details are asked for and charged if you don’t cancel.

In fairness Roon (apparently) sends an email when you’ve 3 days left warning of this.

There’s really nothing to see here, walk along…

.sjb

5 Likes

It asks for a credit card after that stage and then says if you don’t formally cancel you’ll be charged.

Thats not a free trial in my book, it’s a pretty crappy sales hookin.

Do you not see the error in your statement?

No, it’s free if you’re not charged.

Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon, they’re all the same.

Honestly, calm down, there is nothing to see here, no big Roon conspiracy.

.sjb

3 Likes

Who mentioned conspiracy? It’s merely a case of false advertising, do you condone deception?

You’re just being silly now.

If you are not charged it’s a free trial. If you cancel within the specified period, there is no charge.

.sjb

2 Likes

No it wasn’t when I first signed up it was free with no obligation. There was no credit card commitment.

It still is free with no obligation. You just have to have a credit card and input the information. I think most services work this way now. It’s a non-issue.

1 Like

When was that?

.sjb

when I first signed up in 2014

no things shouldn’t change before you say it.

It does say it, as part of the sign-up process. If you don’t want to input your credit card, then don’t sign up for the trial. Of course you can’t, so again, it’s a non-issue.

1 Like

Indeed

.sjb

1 Like

Is that a Naim phono stage?

2 Likes

It’s all a bit of a wind up really :grinning:

.sjb

2 Likes

Well signing up before launch in April 2015 might have been different, but a credit card was required when I first tried Roon in June 2015. I remember being miffed about it too, but I got over it. I don’t think this is a recent change.

1 Like

Tidal does the same thing. Apple does the same thing. I’m sure qobuz does too.

Cancel and they don’t charge you. What’s the problem?

3 Likes

I signed up with a Audioquest coupon for a 6 week trial after I bought a Dragonfly Red, as I remember no CC details were needed for that until I decided to extend

That said the Credit Card upfront is common , Tidal , Amazon Prime etc. not nice but life

2 Likes