Why is roon so slow? :(

Yes i can share screen and surf files via filesharing without any problems :man_shrugging:

Has this any relevance for me??? This should be an option. There are also people who wants a white theme and some prefer a dark theme. Thats why there is the option in roon to choose how you like it :man_shrugging:

Just need to find’it

1 Like

Well the point is that satisfying your use case might break remote use for a lot of folk with more data and less powerful remotes. Offering dark and light themes is trivial in comparison to offering an option to switch from core processing to remote processing.

you could say by to OS X, install a linux with Roon server. I did that for a Roon Bridge on a 2007 iMac

This Roon remote architecture, aside from being dumb, would not make any difference whatsoever to the fact you see tracks take 10 - 30s to load.

That is most likely a core → endpoint issue.

2 Likes

I think, I remember problems being reported with Macs using fusion drives - besides them being relatively slow in today’s numbers.

Out of interest, what version Roon are you running?

You’ve got to consider that your sort of problems are not common to everyone else, and certainly not me, for that matter.
You’d likely have a better experience with more recent hardware - Roon’s just not the kind of server software that runs on RPis…

1 Like

Yes, this triggered me in combination with the negative employee remark.

I did not mean to be rude (referring to my response at the beginning of this thread), and I fully understand one can be disappointed with performance no matter the cause. This is the place to get help.

What version of Roon are you running? Roon 2.0 does not support your OS version.

Sorry i didn’t update this. i’m running roon 2.0 on Mac OS 10.15.7

Hardware issues and DB location aside, you might try “Clean Up Library” under “Settings/Library” (cleans up stale data in DB) and “Clear Cache” under “Settings/Setup” (clears Image cache) in Roon.

Also, a reboot of the network and all devices might “reset” things? Wouldn’t hurt to try?

1 Like

After that you can try to reinstall the os, cmd opt R for a web install. On my late 2013 iMac 10.15.7 is so slow and adding apps and stuff it gets sluggish so @ about 4 months I wipe and reinstall

This will be a local core issue or poor performing network. Roon just isn’t slow, even using arc remotely it’s relatively speedy for me at bringing up my library and playback is alway instantaneous. The core being used by the OP is a pretty old Mac with a slow clock speed by todays standards. I would look to swap core to the MacBook and see if things work better. As I said earlier @miguelito always complained about this with a similar aged and slow Mac running the core. Since he did he’s not mentioned this behaviour.

Anyone here listening??? It is NOT a network problem, TOSLINK is NOT a network protocol!!!

It’s not the hardware or the OS or any setting. I TRIED THIS ALL LONG TIME AGO! IT IS THE ROON (CORE) SOFTWARE!!! I have a suspicion that the Mac OS version of the Roon Core is just badly programmed!

But I don’t set up the whole system from scratch (I’ve already done that MANY TIMES!) and install Linux and build a new DB only to find out that that’s not the cause either.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT ROON DOES WHEN IT DON’T DO WHAT IT SHOULD DO! There must be any background works in roon that expect so long. Apples “Music” App plays the same tracks without any probs. That should be a handful of debug logs to determine. I just wanted to know HOW to do this!

Yes, this way of communication will really motivate people to help you out.

2 Likes

I don’t have any speed issues. It works fast and perfect. I don’t notice any delay between tracks.

1 Like

<---- PSA from your friendly Community moderators: posts like the one below will result in an immediate permanent ban from Roon Community. ----->

then stop talking ■■■■■■■■ to me! If you have to say anythng about the problem - okay. otherwise shut up, if you have nothing to say!

You did not read the text, you did not understand the problem but you tell ■■■■■■■■ to me all the time!

dont you have anything better to do than stress people, who are still stressed because of problems???

Seriously. Take a deep breath and start acting like an adult.

1 Like

thank you but how does this resolve my problem? Will everybody who has no problem tell this to me now?

I could open a Thread for you all, where you can tell others, that you have no probs but PLZ let this be in MY THREAD!!!

You installed Linux on the Mac? If you had the performance issues with Linux as well, did you maybe try running your core on a newer computer for troubleshooting purposes? If available, of course.