Why isnt all customer service this good-Hegel

Guys, tone it down … Please heed Andy’s advice…

Having listened and inspected.
Sound quality is excellent if a little analytical - probably too much for my taste (prefer my current Rega at half the price).
Build quality ok, but not up to the standards of the Rega or some of the better Chinese manufactuers like audio-gd.
I’ll pass, Roon Ready or not. Not the upgrade on the Rega I am looking for, but great they seem to have good customer service if things do go wrong as above.
As always YMMV.

How very interesting, I don’t find my amp too detailed, but with a rounded ,full sound.
I’m also intrigued by the build quality statement, i would say it was better than “Ok”, whatever that means.
Where did you go to listen to this Hegel product out of interest and what source and speakers?

What amp did you listen to and what speakers? I have the H190 in my office and it sounds far from analytical with Sonus Faber Olympica I. (I’m also waiting for RAAT, but the Airplay is good enough for now)

When it comes to the misconception that China equals “lower quality” or “cheap” and you probably stuck on the old days. Would you say that Apple iPhone X with Face ID was cheap or that it probably was available for a fraction of its price in China just because it’s produced there? It’s kind of similar to the idea that American cars are cheap, less advanced and made by dinosaurs compared to European counterparts. But then there is Tesla. The Chinese city Shenzhen has transformed from low quality fast production to an innovation and technology hub in many ways greater than that of Silicon Valley. So… still cheap?

If users in this thread continue to infringe the guidelines by making personal remarks then it will be closed permanently.

Moderators have deleted a post and closed the thread for 24 hours to avoid it deteriorating further. When it re-opens please refrain from talking about each other.

This topic was automatically opened after 24 hours.

Couldn’t agree more with you, Well said.

Another endorsement for Hegel, both service and sound. I’ve emailed Fredrik at Hegel with a couple of questions and got a prompt and thorough reply. The H360 does an excellent job with my Magico A3’s and my H190 did the same with my Focal Diablo standmounts. The fact it’s made in China is of no consequence to me other than I would have paid more for it if it was made in Norway.

1 Like

So, that’s three Chinese manufactured Hegel Amp owners who are pretty happy. I knew I wasn’t alone on this.
Cheers guys.

1 Like

From Hegel it’s just one step to Marx who’s still a part of what the CCP fundamentally holds on to. All fits together. :sunglasses:

I’m afraid you lost me there?

Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be a really serious contribution. Have you noticed the links?

H360 through R700s.

In terms of the Hegel’s sound, as I said I think it’s excellent, but not as good as my current amp. So clearly, a 3-4k expenditure on an amp that is a downgrade to what I already have is a no go. This of course is to my ears, which is all that is important. I initially got introduced to Hegel through a friend who loves them. The point being that we all have our own tastes.

As for build quality, that’s less debatable. The Hegel is built well enough, but not as well as some competitors that cost less (including my current amp), including quite a few manufactured in China.

Onto China - and for the record at no point in this thread or any other did I say that Chinese manufacturing = lower quality or cheap. What I actually said is that Hegel are not up front about where they manufacture their amps and their product stamp is not just likely to, but has, confused buyers. Manufacturing in China ranges from terrible to excellent. Whenever I see a product manufactured in China I research more closely. That’s just the way it is. If I am going to shell out thousands, I want one of the excellent ones.

What I also said is that Chinese manufacturers will likely make products at the half the price of the Hegel that are just as good. I’ve seen and heard top of the line audio-gd products and they sound excellent and are built better than Hegels. I have also short listed a Kinki Studio integrated amp. Half the price of the Hegel and looks to be built to a higher standard - I’ll see when I get a look and listen what that is like. PrimaLuna are now built in China I believe - excellent products. I therefore think the Hegel is overpriced.

There’s lots of options, built in China or not, and my amp upgrade will be to one that enhances my own enjoyment of music and gives me confidence of a build quality that will last a lifetime and the Hegel just didn’t do that for me.

In summary, this is not a “Hegel is good, no it’s not” debate. It’s a Hegel is not good enough for me conclusion. Others can and will conclude differently. That’s not important to me.

I’m happy to hear that getting clarified! :+1:t3:

I’m more afraid of “mass market” than country of origin. And the design (not looks, but real design) is of far greater value than anything else. That’s where different producers of equpment compete the most no matter where the actual assembly or production happens.

My example with Face ID for iPhone X - even when being produced to 100% in China - is that it took a long time before it was replicated by another brand. And the competition is still lacking behind. That is a clear example that everything can not be copied or even interpreted with similar results that easily. You have to understand the ideas to copy them, so the notion that things excists in China for 50% of the price is for me still not valid. Especially when competing with something else produced in China. I would be more sceptical to gear made in US or EU if you want bang for your buck. At least when seeing things from your point of view.

Could you be specific about what you don’t like with Hegel’s build quality? And are you saying Prima Luna has better build quality?

I didn’t say I didn’t like it. It’s fine.
It’s just not as well built as some other options for less money or the same.
We could go round the houses all day with yes it is, no it isn’t, but there’s no point.
I mainatin my view and would encourage anyone thinking of Hegel (or any other product) to conlcude for themselves.

1 Like

I am not so sure it’s that difficult to copy. In terms of Hegel, their Sound Engine tech seems to be the key marketing point (although feedforward technology in amps is not exclusive to them). It was, I have to say, fascinating listing to Bent Holter describe it, but it’s the patents that protect them, not necessarily the difficulty in copying it.
I think Devialet are already copying it for class D - maybe …

As for Apple, don’t get me started. It probably will not surprise you to know I think they sell overpriced junk. :slight_smile: …at least since iphone 4.

That is a very big essence or copying. Managing to do so without braking a patent. If you have extensive knowledge about Apple you should also know that whole industry is defined by its patents (and copying and overstepping boundaries).

Anyway, seems we actually got to the same conclusion. For me copying is not just about pirated products. And you will still get more for your cash if they build in China than if they do in Norway. So what’s the issue?

(And I’d say there is a much bigger incentive in copying the big players. Most people don’t know sound quality anyway, it’s easier to fool people with “signature sound”)