Why isn't the Band tagged Americana

Jerry Jeff did okay for a long island boy.

Yep, Ronald Clyde Crosby didn’t quite have the same ring to it.

the Willie album that turned me was Redheaded Stranger - his answer to Pete Townsend… As much as I don’t like modern Nashville pop-country, some of that classic stuff was great. Sturgill Simpson is a throw-back to some of that.

Agree, I hate nashville pop-country, but probably have 1000 CDs of things people might consider “country”. I always have a hard time when I’m talking with someone I don’t know well about music, and they ask, “do you like country music?” I say, well, it depends…name some acts." They do, and 99% of their responses are people I have zero interest in. I then mention Guy Clark, Townes van Zant, etc. and they give me a clueless look. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Sturgill is good (have two of his albums). But I’m really, really fond of Jason Isbell’s work. I’d call that “country” but along the “alternative country” path.

2 Likes

You’re in my wheel house; I’ve liked Isbell since he was a trucker. Funny how so many of these guys end up in a similar place from so many different starting points. I mean the byrds, burritos, parsons, poco track is one path but not the only path.

1 Like

You ever watch the Guy Clark clips from Heartworn Highways on YouTube? They’re great. They have one with a 17 year old Steve Earle doing Mercenary Song that kills.

Fantastic stuff. I have the Heartworn Highways film on VHS and on DVD. (and the recently released “soundtrack” which is not identical to the film, on CD.) And the fact that the movie also included that skinny kid in the background (Steve Earle) is amazing. A lot of talent in that room!

1 Like

So, Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings, and Sarah Jarosz in your library?

1 Like

yes on Gillian and Dave. Not Sarah. Heard of her but hadn’t checked her out. But this is my incentive to check our her work in more detail.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I’m more than familiar with the band called “The Band”, but thanks to you, I discovered Sarah Jarosz. A great talent! :blush:

1 Like

there is a new york/new jersey tribute band call ‘the THE BAND band’ and they are really really good go to their web page and catch a show-last year they did a 40th year anniversary of the ‘the last waltz’ right down to the food served-their web page is thethebandband.com
bobbmd

2 Likes

I saw Gillian and Dave last year. They did I Dream A Highway for us. I’ve never felt more like 4,000 people were one organism. Spellbinding.

1 Like