Why I've quit Roon after a few years use

not Roon Bridge – it uses the RAAT/RoonReady SDK.

I don’t know why this thread has exploded into a upnp - dlna discussion. That’s was not of any concern of the OP and shouldn’t be your concern as well. Raat is perfectly fine, Roons multiroom system works like a charm, it’s all the little frustrating things in the UI that is the problem. There has been next to none development in the basic features of Roon which are still full of annoying things. The fact that there is no progress in the very basics is what’s concerning the OP. That’s what this thread was about.

5 Likes

To be fair, I think the Roon UI is probably overall, generally, broadly (you get the idea) at least as good as anything else. Personally I’d rather trade a bit of polish on the UI for a properly thought through, well designed and implemented fundamental architecture. A bit like I’d rather have a well designed chassis and suspension on a car so that it actually behaves properly without the intervention of all the current nanny electronics…

Which is not to say I wouldn’t welcome some improvements!

1 Like

That goes hand in hand with a good UI, unless you mean more audiophile features.

1 Like

I most definitely don’t mean ‘audiophile’ features…

1 Like

There are many threads on this. There are not any music services getting added anytime soon, at least not announced. Spotify is not HiRes. Apple and Amazon won’t play with deep API integration. SoundCloud limits API playcounts dramatically. (Sonos obviosly is a HW platform not a service). So if Tidal and Qobuz don’t offer what you need, then Roon might not be for you.

2 Likes

thanks @RobOK – thats a great summary of the situation with the streaming services.

Spotify also wont do any commercial api stuff, so that’s out.

Sonos is obviously the big exception to everyone… its because they have most of the market share.

Having spent several years in a UPnP/OpenHome environment before switching to Roon/RAAT (and having made a few very minor contributions to the leading open-source implementation, upmpdcli), I find many of the points made there to be tendentious at best.

Nevertheless, I don’t really wish to argue the matter, as I agree with the bottom line:

1. RAAT has many advantages over UPnP/OpenHome.
  2. There’s no good rationale for Roon to implement the latter.

UPnP was never universal or plug and play.

ok this topic has gone way off topic in so many directions… and I’m one of the contributions to that :sob:

closing this one out.

1 Like

Just a follow up here by the OP:

5 Likes