Why I've quit Roon after a few years use

UPnP is flawed, I totally agree with @danny’s view on this. My system (Devialet) supports both, they sound the same (subjectively), but one is stable, the other loses control with unpredictable results (things like volume goes to 100%). UPnP is included everywhere because its free, not because its good. Even my home router includes a UPnP server, so why should I use Roon? Because it works flawlessly, and their implementation is unlikely to blow up my speakers.

May I know if chromecast being low-fi because of the sample rates or something else? my dac can only go to similar rates, so hopefully it’s not because of the sample rate. and it is still in production.

Good luck and i hope you find what better fits your wants and needs. As they say … “The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”

I remain a proud supporter of Roon. To each their own.

All the best!

Robert

UPnP is a protocol.

Sounds like someone’s implementation of that protocol is buggy (“volume goes to 100%”). This has nothing to do with the merits or demerits of the protocol itself.

There are issues with UPnP. Some of those are fixed in OpenHome; others remain. Multi-zone support (via yet another extension of the basic protocol: SongCast) is particularly weak.

So, yeah, there are many things that are superior about RAAT. But you can’t ascribe one vendor’s inexcusably borked implementation to a defect of the protocol itself.

1 Like

Personally what is Roon ready is only a small part of the story, what will actually matter is the online services that Roon can integrate with and the stats indicate it’s playing with the minority small fry.

https://musically.com/2020/02/19/spotify-apple-how-many-users-big-music-streaming-services/

If this has not improved by the end of my subscription it will not renew.
I mainly use Apple Music and Sonos as the main household interfaces and Roon is in a minority for usage hours.

1 Like

Are you mostly a mobile user? Or home? I might want to explore Apple Music for mobile use.

Perhaps. Roon’s implementation on the other hand, isn’t buggy :slight_smile:

I use Apple Music both on mobile and at home. I also have Tidal subscription just for Roon. Apple Music works the best for me and I tried (I think) every streaming platform available to me (and some that was not available ;)).

1 Like

If my music was on “the cloud” it would degrade the sound quality? I guess if you wanted your library on your mobile phone, then it would be useful? Why do you need multiple instances of Roon Server running? I could agree about the addition of other Music services to Roon, I am sure someone will be working on it?

I had my music on a mechanical NAS drive, I have now but it on an SSD, and downloaded ROCK. The difference is night and day! I think Roon is excellent at what it does, i took a couple of free trials, when you could have a 30 day trial, and opted for a lifetime membership. I have one issue, and that is the lack of an alarm clock/sleep facility. I am more than happy! Mind youm my HiFi system consists (on the digital side), a Roon Rock i5 core 2Gb of RAM, Rock installed on a M.2 drive, and my music is on a SSHD. This feeds into a March DAC, going through a Naim 200/202 with a teddycap power supply, this combination feeds a pair of Neat Motive 2 speakers.

I did use Logitech Media Server, which had a clunky interface, it is old and free though. The Roon gave an uplift to both the user interface, and music reproduction.

While that volume thing sounds like a bug, UPnP is fundamentally flawed:

I’m not getting defensive, on getting annoyed with you dodging the question. I’ll answer you but I’m done with you until you either retract or defend your words.

We’ve certified almost 1000 devices and I don’t know all their details. However, just looking at my desk, I see two devices that have RAAT and no UPnP:

B&W’s Formation line (I have the Duo’s here in a box) and the Merging Technologies’ NADAC+PLAYER.

Both are “high-end” to “super high-end”.

UPnP sucks. We won’t support it. We would rather improve the industry as a whole than support UPnP. We started that in 2016. I believe we are mostly complete. If you think UPnP is required for Roon’s mass adoption, you are welcome to your opinion, but we think you couldn’t be further from the truth.

8 Likes

@danny

I understand the digital inputs of the CXN, you effectively use it as a DAC and lose all the screen images

My system is mainly headphones using an Audiolab M-DAC as dac and headphone amp , a digital input to CXN then digital out to the M-DAC makes no sense

I already use RPi Allo Digione then coax to the M-DAC for Roon

It’s duplicated I guess

Always loved this one :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Withdrawn.

Exactly. Lol.

I am also confused by the lack of progress in the UI, given that there are a number of relatively significant issues which many users have been consistently complaining about for years now.

4 Likes

Here’s 4 examples:

http://www.mbl.de/da-wandler-mbl-1611f/?lang=en

https://www.tidal-audio.com/camira/

The C1 Mono is Roon Ready:
https://www.ch-precision.com/first-roon-ready-ethernet-streaming-hd-boards-shipped/

The MBL 1611F is Roon Ready:
https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/news/169-mbls-new-roon-ready-module

It took some time, but they got it done. MBL is a partner we are doing some very cool things with… but it’ll take some time to get out the door.

AudioNET is one of our partners but I can’t speak to the status of their devices.

Looking into if I can say anything further about AudioNET and Tidal Audio. If I can, I will update.

3 Likes

Hmm. I like NADAC. Is that a newer version?

it’s the one with a Core built-in… stereo or multichannel.

1 Like

The MBL “Roon Module” uses a Raspberry Pi embedded with Roon Bridge, very cool!
CORRECTION: it uses the RAAT/RoonReady SDK.