Why upsampling with HQPlayer give you better music

Sorry for my ignorance, how to feed HQPlayer with these input?

Hmm… in this case, you are comparing:

1. flac (from a window/mac file system)
  2. real-time ripping from the CD Drive

I bet it should be similar as the bit stream you get for these two ways are the same (if you believe ripping should be bit perfect).

You need to use something like AccurateRip which will match a CRC of the track to others who have ripped from the same CD. Yes, if there are no errors on the disc itself and you’re not running faster than the thing can read… Should be bit perfect but it’s worth to test. Some software, like dbPowerAmp can be configured to do this check automatically.

1 Like

Thanks Miska, that is indeed my question. Lets for the sake of me just for whatever reason enjoy inserting a CD into a computer cd rom and let it spin to hqplayer for playback, (as long as the CD-rom spinning relatively quietly) it should not make any differences compared to ripping into files.

I ask this because I spoke to many old timer audiophiles who always claim they love to have a cd transport because they enjoy getting up their asses to swap in a CD for playback rather than using a computer. I guess I can go on and tell them “sure, you can now get your ass up and swap in a CD to a computer CD rom and just let Hqplayer handle the playback” hahaha

1 Like

Yes. Use a player where you can delay video against audio. I’m on Windows and I am using PotPlayer playing through virtual audio cable to HQPlayer. PotPlayer supports youtube links, WASAPI and delay setting and it is free.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PotPlayer+HQPlayer+VAC+bogi+site%3Aaudiophilestyle.com

2 Likes

Cool, I didn’t know about such product. I will have a try. Thanks.

For examle this can be used for SPDIF sources like a CD player: Hifime S2 Digi -Optical SPDIF input and output to USB

2 Likes

You need an input device that can do it. Since CD is fixed 44.1k rate, it doesn’t need automatic rate switching and there are probably and least hundreds of different input device options.

For automatic rate switching the options are much less.

Essentially you can pretty easily run HQPlayer as upsampler / DSP processor for file sources, internet streaming sources and for USB, S/PDIF, AES/EBU and analog inputs. So you can feed HQPlayer with pretty much anything from vinyl to a mobile phone.

For some hardcore vinyl use, HQPlayer also includes RIAA EQ support in the matrix processor.

Here iPad Mini playing Apple Music through USB to HQPlayer:

1 Like

You could also try an alcoholic beverage. You might find it calming.

Thanks, this device is interesting as I thought there is only USB to S/PDIF or AES/EBU.

@Deric_Chan I bet you ask your friend to use such device and keep his trasnport intact.

If they are willing to try hqplayer, then they don’t need any cd transport. All you need is a $20 LG cd rom drive to your hqplayer PC

3 Likes

LOL… so true. @jussi_laako you help people save a lot of money

From a transport that cost a few thousands to a $20 LG cd rom drive.

1 Like

Also true that HQPlayer can fix the cinema / home theater system. Most likely the DACs in AVR/AVPs are not as good as you think. If you can route the digital audio stream to HQPlayer server then you’ll get amazing result.

For example:
StormAudio ISP EVO (AES67 ver.) <Ravenna/AES67 network> NAA as input [NAA protocol] HQPlayer Embedded or Desktop for DRC (if you skip Dirac) and signal reconstruction <Ravenna/AES67 network> Merging multichannel DACs to B-chain

It has incredible result for Atmos / DTS:X / Auro3D movies and immersive music.

2 Likes

Agree, with HQPlayer, all my audio source become DSD256 or PCM768. :v:t2:

Pssst, don’t tell anyone, but you can achieve pretty much the same result while saving even more money – skip the HQPlayer part, too.

And here I thought all of that popcorn was going to waste! :joy:

5 Likes

Well, based on my experience, I am sorry to disagree with you.
I have HqPlayer on an Antipodes and a MolaMola Tambaqui DAC that supports up to 192KHz. I use Roon.
I have the room equalized and convolve the filters. From many tests I have done, it sounds much clearer putting the filters in Roon through SqueezLite than through HqPlayer.
And I’m really sorry, I had high hopes from the comments.
I always mean using Roon as a server.
Best regards

2 Likes

If you don’t want to waste any popcorn, check it out Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

My new blog Debunk Pseudo Scientific Claims (no-pseudo-science.blogspot.com) would definte waste the popcorn for now but not sure it would be better later.

1 Like

I am sorry to say, but that blog of yours claims to “debunk” some “pseudo-science” but sorely lacks anything resembling a scientific argument. Repeating ad nauseum something that has been debunked back in the days by Shannon himself does not make it true, alas. And there aren’t enough funny novel claims to make it worth getting the popcorn out.

3 Likes

Feel free to comment on my blog as this is a bit off topic for this thread. (Of course, I have a different view point than yours. Enjoy).