Why upsampling with HQPlayer give you better music

I have a lot of discussion in other forum regarding the benefitis of upsampling.

Looks to me that a lot of people are not fully aware of the benefits of upsampling (even in a famous “science-based” audio forum) or fooled by pseudo-science.

There are still a lot of mis-conception and pseudo-science around this topics.

I hope to create this thread for us to discuss questions / concepts / ideas around this topic.

Why picked HQPlayer? Nowadays, there are quite a few choices but to me, based on my own personal experiences, HQPlayer sounds the best. You got tons of settings for you to play with.

But, the most importantly, is that the developer of HQPlayer is so helpful and unbiased in answering questions regarding HQPlayer. Hopefully, this thread can help us to understand more about upsampling and the benefits of using HQPlayer in doing so for your system so that you can bring the best out of your music collection (no matter it is CD quality or even MP3).

Hope this won’t add a lot of burden to @jussi_laako, the developer of HQPlayer, as we all know that he has a very busy and tight schedule in helping us to improve HQPlayer :blush:

8 Likes

Claim 1:

if you have a 44.1kHz source file, no amount of upsampling will ever recover the information that was lost. Upsampling is useless.

My view:

100% agree. Lost is lost.

In my very humble opinion, this is one of the major misunderstanding people has regarding upsampling and conclude that it is useless.

Let me re-emphasize: upsampling is not to recover missing information

Without fully understanding how DAC works internally, people would not understand the benefits of upsampling. I learn / understand more once I know more about noise shaping, dithering, etc…

Before that I was like most people, consider upsampling is attempting to recover missing information (especially for the higher freqency range). I bet the misunderstanding may be coming from the HiRes marketing?

Upsampling help the DAC to reconstruct the audio signal with less artifacts.

The reconstruction can never be perfect. With HQPlayer, you have better control (via filter, noise shaper, moduldation) in the reconstruction process.

Claim 2:

There is no objective scientific measurable difference between output of upsampled and non-upsampled output (or there is only an extremly small diference that it is not audible at all).

If you can hear any difference, it must be your brain fooling you.

My view:

"If there is no objective scientific mesaurable audiable difference, we should hear the same. It should be crystal clear about this factual scientific statement. Right? It is simple science! " <=== this is not correct.

Here comes the pseudo science part… Pseudoscience consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that claim to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method

No, cliam 2 is not corret. You just assume your objective scientific measurable difference is comprehensive enough to cover ALL measurable audible difference.

If your objective scientific measurements tell you that there is NO audible difference but you are INDEED hearing the difference. One reason could be that your measurements are not comprehensive enough to cover ALL measurable audible difference.

4 Likes

Claim 3:

• in reality, there is no audiable difference between DAC’s own upsampling vs external upsampling as there is no measurable difference in their output for the same source
  • if there is any audible difference, it must be a poorly designed filter causing it

My view:

Pseudo science here again. It is similar to claim 2 as you just assume your sceintific objective measurements capture all audiable measurements.

Claim 4:

But the video of this expert tell me that I don’t need anything more than 44.1k / 16 bit? Are you sure upsampling help?

My view:

My comment is don’t trust expert. I am an expert in my own area but I think I am not 100% right all the time. Expert is like you and me. It just happens that he may have a bit more experiece in his area. Period. Don’t ever think he has a speical super brain.

Back to the video, it is indeed very interesting but mis-leadling in certain areas. He said feeding a 44.1k / 16bit stair step digital sine wave into even an very old DAC would give you perfectly smooth since wave…

He does show it with his equipments. It looks objective, scientific, not arguable, correct? The stair step digital sine wave does show up as perfect smooth sine wave in the DAC’s output.

Pseudo science here again! You got tricked because he is using a oversampling (OS) DAC. Looks to me he ether doesn’t know himself or he did it on purpose to support his other claim.

Let’s look at the following audio signal output from a real DAC on a oscilloscope.

output for a 1k sine wave:

output for a 10k sine wave:

These are real output from Topping E30. More info here.

Bottom line, don’t trust any expert. You need to think independently otherwise you will be manipulated by these experts.

==== Updated on 22 April 2024 ====

Upsampling helps to reconstruct final better audio signal from a DAC

1. Modern DAC is, in general, doing a very good job especially with internal up sampling. However, it is still far from perfect in final audio signal reconstruction. There are still areas to improve, e.g. using external upsampling processing instead of internal upsampling process (as more advanced processings are availble for resource-rich computer than a chip based solution.

2. Up sampling does help to reconstruct better audio signal (as it is demonstrated by the modern DACs). Just to name a few benefits, it improves anti-aliasing performance, and reduces jitter.

Over sampling (aka Hi Res music) helps to reconstruct final better audio signal from a DAC

1. Over sampling does help to reconstruct better audio signal as it improves anti-aliasing performance, increase resolution, and reduce noise.

2. In terms of sampling frequency, "Hi-Res" music (anything higher than 44k) is an example of over sampling (as in theory , only 44kHz is required). It happens during the ADC process. From point 3 above, it would help to regenerate better audio signal, hence, better music.

3. In terms of bit depth, "Hi-Res" music use more than 16 bit. It helps to reduce quantization error. it would help to regenerate better audio signal, hence, better music.

4. The purpose for using “Hi-Res” input is not for its ability to reconstruct signal outside the audible range . It is just a by-product. Yes, based on sampling theory, we can use 768k sampling to reconstruct signal with frequencies up to 384k but again, this is not what we needed .

5. Hi-Res industry used the by-product I mentioned in point 6 above as a marketing material when they initially pushed for SACD. It caused people who knows about the audible frequency range to consider Hi-Res music as snake oil (but it is not snake oil for other reasons stated above)

Reasoning for audible / inaudible difference

1. I believe we have many scientific, objective, peer-reviewed papers to show that "there is no evidence to prove there is audible difference between 44.1 and HiRes " (statement 1).

2. However, using the objective findings (statement 1) to prove that there is objective measurements / research / experiments to show that "there is no audible difference from HiRes / Oversampling / etc… " (statement 2) is 100% wrong

3. Using this unjustified reasoning (e.g. “statement 1 implies statement 2” above) to claim anything is very dangerous. Basically, people can easily claim anything they want with this wrong reasoning. For me, I knew about this even before I learnt it offically from my “philosophy 101” in college. I was wondering why they teach such basic things in a college-level course… it is clear now.

4. Any re-packaging of the “proof” from using the unjustified reasoning (aka wrong reasoning) from item 10 and called the proof is "scientific ", to my understanding based on my previous professional training, is called Pseudo-science.

5. We may see claim that is something like “Based on objective measurements (see point 10 above ), you cannot hear any audible difference with HiRes. If you do, either your brain is fooling you or a poorly desinged reconstruction filter causing it” (statement 3). Based on my training, these claims are classifed as "unfalsifiable claim " under the category of Pseudo-science. i.e. there is no way for anyone to prove the statement 3 is wrong under any situation.

=================

What does HQPlayer give you?

Modern DACs (e.g. ESS / AKM / CS / BB based DAC) do use oversampling internally before they feed the music to it’s internal Delta/Sigma modulation).

HQPlayer can help you to offload this oversampling process to a much more powerful PC. It can use more advanced filter/noise shaper/modulation to help your DAC in regnerating the analog music.

With a photo enhancement analogy, it ls kind of like the following:

You can consider the one on the left is done by “NOS” (i.e. Non-Over Sampling) DAC
the middle one is like modern DACs (using their own internal oversampling)
the last one is like using HQPlayer for doing upsampling.

They are all from the same source (e.g. 44.1k / 16 bit). The output are just different presentation of the same source.

I really like analogy… to me, it helps to explain to other people.

Let’s think about cooking analogy,
the source (44.1k/16 bit) is the recipes
the DAC is the chef
the final music output is the dish

The master lab give you the recipes for a dish. Your hifi system “cook” it for you.
I would not say my music is better or worse than the one from the master lab as they are not comparable .
I won’t compare a recipes with a final dish as I won’t compare apple to orange.

ok, go back to the pictures above, let’s use cooking analogy:

For the first picture, it’s the final dish from restaruant NOS
For the second picture, it’s the final dish from restaruant DAC(chip-based OS)
For the third picture, it’s the final dish from restaruant UPSAMPLING

Again, let me remind you. They are all using the same recipes .

It’s always a personal preference in selecting the resturatnt.

You can pick a “bit perfect” restaurant NOS or
You can pick a “convience” restaurant DAC(chip-based OS) or
You can pick a “5-star” restaurant UPSAMPLING

It is always your call

6 Likes

13 Likes

Few comments from my side on the claims.

Of course there are plenty of measurable differences as I’ve been showing over the years…

One of the reasons I got banned from a certain forum. :sweat_smile:

For example apodizing filters can correct certain classes of errors that are common in 44.1k files.

One common basic assumption is that 44.1k sources are perfect. Surprise surprise, the tooling used to produce the 44.1k content is all but perfect! And many times it is also misused (pushed to digital clipping for example).

4 Likes

Can these errors be fixed if we want to output 44.1k/16 bit again? Or we have to use higher bitrate for the output in order to fix these errors?

Are there errors have only one way to fix it? or the solution depends on the methods you use?

If there is more than one ways to fix them, then the solution is not unique and you can have different outputs that have the errors fixed. In that case, it means we are not “recovering” the missing info; we are just fixed the errors in the source. Correct?

Theoretically at least to some extent. But it is bad idea to do multiple generations of DSP into such low resolution. So if you do any DSP on such source, you should use higher output resolution.

There are many apodizing filters in HQPlayer, and each correct the errors in somewhat unique way.

Similarly like let’s say you want to de-pop a vinyl recording made through ADC, there are many algorithms out there for the purpose.

1 Like

I have a CD remastering in mind, so, it doesn’t help much in this case I believe.

Forget CD media, we are in 2024 … Old CDs are to be ripped, for new content use digital downloads or streaming, preferably at higher sample rate if available.

“CD remastering” is done in HQPlayer during playback. With streaming sources, but also with large local library, one cannot ‘remaster’ everything. Just let playback software to do its job.

3 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes: 768k / DSD512 (or higher) is easily available and it sounds much better with HQPlayer

No: Looks like CD will still be around for long time as some of my friends are still enjoy CDs with the cool playback system.

I was thinking if HQPlayer could make the CD sounds better :laughing:

HQPlayer can play CD’s directly if you have a CD drive on your HQPlayer computer.

HQPlayer started as a CD/MP3 player “firmware” for my own use. So a HTPC computer with CD drive and small touch screen.

1 Like

Miska. I always have this question in mind. Does it make a difference ripping the cd to flac and play through hqplayer vs simply use a cd drive and play it through hqplayer?

Some ppl think ripping the cd to flac and stored on hdd is less prone to errors …

Did you try? For my ears it makes CDs (in ripped form in my case) sound better. Most of recordings (and from my Slovak/Czech area almost everything) is still available only in 44.1/16. Without improvement of 44.1k content playback I wouldn’t be using HQPlayer for 10 years. HQPlayer helps also with youtube videos with lossy audio.

Standards are changing very slowly, since they are implemented in millions of circuits/devices in use. Use of CD medias is some years already lowering from more reasons. Small portable devices are not CD media based and and increasing share of streaming services lowers CD media usage too. Higher resolution formats will therefore slowly become more usual for wider user base. If you have a possibility of choice, it is better to use source content at higher sample rate. It makes recordings less prone to ringing and analog signal reconstruction can be made easier, so it may result to better sound.

1 Like

I think they are talking about jitter

Did you mean upsampling CDs to higher bitrate DSD/PCM?
Of couse, I did. It sounds sooooo good. :heart_eyes:

I am doing it every day with DSD256 and PCM768 (with my non DSD-Direct DAC).

I am waiting for my next DAC to try out DSD512 (or even 1024).

If you are talking about CD to 44.1k (with HQPlayer), I didn’t try it before as I always do higher bitrate.

1 Like

Under normal circumstances the only audible difference can be caused by influence of different noise patterns to playback chain. With well implemented digital transport (galvanic isolation, asynchronous transfer) it shouldn’t matter.

Of course, a file stored on SSD media isn’t so prone to mechanical defects than CD media manipulated by hands.

1 Like

The only issue for me is the vidoe and audio are out of sync… Do you know if there is anyway to fix it?

It should end up with exactly same result in both cases. Playing files is usually more convenient. But if you are running for example a hifi shop selling all kinds of gear, and customer comes in with a CD, you can play it straight through HQPlayer without having to go through the trouble of ripping, etc. Or if a friend comes to visit you with bunch of CDs.

Sometimes one may just like to use the CD’s physical interface.

Another alternative is to use an external CD spinner and feed HQPlayer with the S/PDIF or AES/EBU output. If one likes interface of the particular spinner.

1 Like

There is another mystery always puzzle me…

CD ripping.

Should it be always bit perfect no matter how fast or slow I rip the disc?
And I should have the same flac no matter when and how I did it I think…but somehow other people mentioned it may not

With my headphone rig which is primary in my case I don’t listen at 44.1k so many years already that such an idea sounds me absurd. I’m listening to 44.1k when I am watching tennis on TV. :smiley:

Yes, jitter may be another source of audible difference when you compare traditional playback from a CD player (or through lower quality SPDIF interface) and through a higher quality (usually asynchronous) interface.

Well I am not talking about cd transport like those require coax/toslink out to a dac. I am specifically talking about using a computer cd drive to 1) rip the cd into flac and fed to hqplayer vs 2) using the same computer cd drive to load a cd into hqplayer for playback…