Wi-fi to Ethernet Bridge

Hi All,

Due to my electrical wiring being split across two separate ring mains my Ethernet over mains adapters struggle to communicate consistently with each other & lose the connection to Roon Core. As a result I have decided to invest in a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge or possibly something more elaborate.

I have been considering “devolo gigagate wi-fi bridge” but there may be a simpler or more effective option

Can anyone recommend a good reliable bridge, or alternative, so that I can eradicate this annoyance permanently.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Have you considered mesh wi-fi? I use eero which i believe is only available in the USA and Canada, but there should be an alternative brand in the UK. Really solved all of my wifi problems.

I have used Linksys WES610N bridge as well.

I also use an Ethernet over Power module as well for some non-essential stuff. It’s flakey compared to the mesh wifi.

Try Ubiquiti’s Mesh AP’s in the UK

I have considers mesh networking but in this case I need physical Ethernet connection for for ip control of meridian 218.
Linksys look interesting, thanks.
:+1:t4:

The eero mesh routers can be used as access points. Maybe some of the other brands do as well. The modules receive signal via wifi, and can be hard wired via ethernet cable to a switch or particular device. Good luck on your setup.

If you happen to haven an old router lying around…

I use an old Trendnet router (that didn’t support bridge mode) loaded with DD-WRT firmware (that does), and it works great.

Or use stuff from Asus. With their recent firmware you can turn your old Asus into a Mesh router.

Had a clear out a while back so no spare routers.

Could you just create an IP reservation for your device (by MAC address) on your DHCP server device? That would remove the need to have a static IP address config on your endpoint, but would keep the same device with the same IP indefinitely and also works fine with WiFi connections.

I have decided to try a netgear Wi-fi bridge will see if that sorts out the problem?

Thanks for the responses, mesh looks like the next move.

:crossed_fingers:t4:

Alas the endpoint, Meridian 218, has no Wi-fi capability :roll_eyes:

ah ok, as you were then!

Edit: I have a netgear wifi bridge on my RPi as the built in wifi is a bit flaky, it seems to work pretty well. But I’ll still be investing in a WiFi Mesh system at some stage I think.

I use this small router as a wifi to ethernet bridge. Works great.

Is there no opportunity at all to link the two rings with a length of ethernet cable?

Looks very useful (& compact) but not a UK product alas, global markets :roll_eyes:

I bought it in France - Brexit notwithstanding you should be able to get it in the UK.

Probably won’t be able to import from France until there’s a trade deal :cry:

Two homeplugs & a length of CAT6 would do it, a bit untidy though (cosmetically & technically)… :thinking:

Found it, or similar…different cosmetically but available.

I think that cosmetically it is not great unless you are able to do the work to hide the cable. Technically the biggest issue with WiFi is its variability. Some things do it well, others do it appallingly. I would certainly limit WiFi to the bridge and keep it off the components themselves.