Wifi connection problems with Android devices in two rooms with DEVOLO network extenders

Hi Eric

Since a few days, I have problems connecting to Roon core with both my Android phone and tablet.
Actually, this connection problem only occurs in two rooms where I have network extensions with DEVOLO CPL adaptors: in these rooms, while I have no wifi problem with my Windows portable computer, I cannot connect to Roon with Android (I have no problem with my Android phone and tablet when I’m in other rooms, where the wifi does not depend on CPL adaptors). So, the problem seems to be related to the wifi extension of my CPL adaptors, and occurs only with my Android devices.
Any idea of what could cause this connection problem?

Here is my complete network setup:

Roon core is installed on a QNAP NAS (TVS-471).
Roon version is 1.3 (build 259) stable (64 bit).
Collection size: about 22000 tracks.

• router 1: Technicolor TC7210.V
    Mode: Router
    SSID: “SSID1”
    Security: WPA2
    Wireless band: 5 GHz
    Channel specification: auto

• router 2: Asus RT-AC87U (wired connected to router 1)
    Mode: Router
    SSID: “SSID2”
    Security: WPA2 - Personal
    Wireless band: 2,4 GHz
    Channel: auto

• switch 1 (8 ports) : TPLINK TL-SG108 - connected to router 2

• switch 2 (5 ports) : Netgear GS105 - connected to router 2

• access point: Linksys WAP300N (wired connection to switch 1)
    Mode: Access point
    Security: WPA2 - Personal
    Wireless band: 2,4 GHz

CPL adaptors (SSID2):

• DEVOLO dLAN 1200+ - wired connection to switch 1
  • DEVOLO dLAN 500 WiFi
  • DEVOLO dLAN 1200+ WiFi ac
  • DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo
  • DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo
    The two DEVOLO wifi adaptors are configured as access points:
    Security: WPA2
    Wireless band: 2,4 GHZ

Other devices connected to the network:

• PC Windows 10 64bits - wired connection to router 2

• NAS QNAP TVS-471 - wired connection to router 2

• NAS Netgear (ReadyNas Pro 2) - wired connection to switch 1

• Raspberry Pi [IQAudio] - wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 WiFi

• Raspberry Pi [IQAudio] - wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo

• Raspberry Pi [IQAudio] - wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo

• Raspberry Pi [BossDAC DiepPI] - wired connection to switch 2

• Logitech Squeezebox Touch - wired connection to switch 2

• Logitech Squeezebox Radio - wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 WiFi

• Sonos Play1 (wifi)

• Printer Kyocera FS-C2026MFP - wired connection to switch 1

• Blu-Ray Sony - wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 1200+ WiFi ac

• Blu-Ray Sony - wired connection to router 1

• TV SONY KDL-55W755C - wired connection to switch 2

Thank you for your help,
Thierry

1 Like

Hi @Thierry_Meulemans ----- Thank you for the PM and sharing this observation you have made with me. As you know we handle anything support related out on the “support” thread so other users have access to the information being shared, should they end up in a similar situation. Would you mind if I made this PM a public topic and we can go from there?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Of course, you can made it a public topic (I thought it would be
automatically public when I sent you my message).
Thierry

Thanks for getting back to me @Thierry_M and for allowing me to make this a public topic. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, being as you have a fairly complex network configuration I want to make sure I am understanding where the mentioned “two rooms” are getting their “signal” from. So if I am understanding this correctly, the DEVOLO CPL adaptors are all communicating with your network via switch #1 (TPLINK TL-SG108) and the Linksys WAP300N, correct?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, I agree that my configuration is rather complex…

Let me try to describe the main things more clearly:

(1) Room 1 (where the main network devices are located) : Router Asus RT-AC87U
The following devices (located in room 1) are wired connected to the Asus router, either directly or via the TPLINK TL-SG108 switch (located in the same room) :

• DEVOLO dLAN 1200+ - wired connection to the TP-LINK switch
  • PC Windows 10 64bits - wired connection to the Asus router
  • NAS QNAP TVS-471 (Roon core) - wired connection to the Asus router
  • NAS Netgear (ReadyNas Pro 2) - wired connection to the TP-LINK switch
    No wifi connection problems in room 1.

(2) Room 2, where the Linksys WAP300N access point (wired connected to the TP-LINK switch) is located.
Room 2 is where the main hifi system is located:

• Raspberry Pi (wired connection to the Asus router via the Netgear switch) --> hifi system.
  • Raspberry Pi (wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo) --> B&W A7
  • Raspberry Pi (wired connection to a second DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo) --> Bose Soundlink
    No wifi connection problems in room 2.

(3) Room 3 (bedroom)

• Raspberry Pi (wired connection to DEVOLO dLAN 500 wifi) --> Bose SoundTouch
    Android tablet and phone cannot connect to Roon core (no connection problem with my portable computer).

(4) Room 4 (bedroom with no music device, only DEVOLO dLAN 500 wifi access point)
Although there is no music device in this room, I tried to connect to Roon core with my Android tablet and phone. Impossible to connect (no connection problem with my portable computer).

So, the two DEVOLO wifi CPL adaptors (located in rooms 3 and 4) are connected to the Asus router via the DEVOLO dLAN 1200+ (and not via the Linksys WAP300N, which only serves to extend the wifi in room 2).

So, my question is: why can’t I connect to Roon core in rooms 3 and 4 with my Android devices, when I can connect without any problem with my Dell portable computer?

Thank you again Eric for your help.

Thierry

Hi @Thierry_Meulemans — Thank you for the clarification, it is appreciated.

When troubleshooting these types of issues, particular when there is a very large network involved, the best approach (always) is to use trial and error. Being as there are numerous networking devices involved in your topology there are a number of variables at play here and the only real way to figure out where the issue is occurring will be to take as many “links” out of the “chain of communication” as possible and then add complexity back in. Our CTO Brian wrote a very informative post on what a healthy network configuration could resemble and examples of where we’ve seen user’s get themselves into trouble in the past.

Moving forward, the first thing I would like you to do (if you don’t have the app already) is to please load FING on one or both (if you choose to) of your android devices to confirm that they are still in the same IP range as the core when you are in those sections (i.e Room 3 & 4 ) of your house.

Lastly, another good test would be to take your other “rooms” offline (temporarily of course and to the best of your ability - all things considered obviously :wink:), disable any other instances of Roon (except on the Android devices + your core), and leave Rooms 3 & 4 in an “active” state. How do the remote devices respond?

-Eric

Hi @Eric

I tried different things, without success:

• same wifi channel on the router and the 3 access points (Linksys WAP300N + 2 DEVOLO dLAN 500 wifi).
  • different wifi channels (channel router and access points set to “auto”)
  • I disconnected the Linksys access point, as well as the wifi on the Asus router (so only the Devolo routers remained active), with no other instance of Roon activated than that on my tablet (+ core).
  • following your suggestion, I installed FING on my tablet. Not sure of what you mean precisely by “confirm that they are still in the same IP range as the core”, but here are 3 screenshots showing what is displayed on my Android tablet when I am in room 3 (and when my tablet is connected to the DEVOLO device in this room).

A first screenshot of the main FING screen:

Don’t know if it is useful, but here is a screenshot from Wifi Analyzer, showing some more information:

With always the same result:

I have read the post of Brian and I understand that the best option would be to install a mesh network. I had not heard about this before, but I will look into it. But the fact remains that everything worked perfectly until a week or two ago, and that if I could identify the cause of the problem, I would prefer to correct it before replacing all my wifi system…

One more information: from room 3, I have no other wifi connection problem with my tablet. For example, I can connect to the Logitech Media Server (installed on my Netgear NAS) and play music with my Squeezebox Touch (located in room 2).

Thank you again for your help,
Thierry

Hi @Thierry_M ----- Thank you for the feedback and more importantly, thank you for your patience. My sincere apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, we have been actively investigating how Android devices interact when Roon is being hosted on a Linux based core. In light of this may I very kindly ask you to please fill out our data gathering survey found here, as we would greatly appreciate the insight!

Lastly, we have found the following two trouble exercises have yielded positive results for users experiencing remote connectivities issues. Please see below.

Taken from the mentioned survey:

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Kill the Roon app
    Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote

-Eric

Hi @Eric

I’ve completed the survey.

I also returned to the factory settings for the different access points in my network (including the Devolo ones), which improved the problem a bit: after doing that I was able to connect to the Roon core with my Sony Xperia Z5 phone (Android 7.0), although the connection was not immediate (it comes after two or three unsuccessfull attempts). Connection to the Roon core with my Sony Xperia Z3 tablet (Android 5.1.1) remained difficult. And now, a few days later, the situation is similar as before: I still have problems with both my Android devices when I am in the rooms where the connection to the wifi network (and to the Roon core) is made through the Devolo access points.

After that, I also tried the two tests suggested in the survey. After doing the first one, I was able to connect to the Roon core: While I could not connect to the Roon core with my Xperia phone, I shut down the core (with the Qmanager application on my Xperia phone), then opened it, and the phone found the core immediately. So, this solution works!
And by the way this confirms that I have no wifi connection problem with my Xperia phone: I can connect (with my phone) to my QNAP NAS (I used Qmanager on my phone to close and to open the Roon core to which my Roon application was unable to connect).

I hope that the survey and these information will help you solving the problem.

Thank you,
Thierry

1 Like

Hi @Thierry_M ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the results of your troubleshooting! The feedback/insight is very appreciated!

I will be sure to keep you updated on our progress, and if you have any new information or observations to share, please due. Again, many thanks!

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Just to tell you that each time I cannot connect to the Roon core (i.e., when I am in the room where connection is made through the Devolo access point), the solution consisting of reopening the Roon core works: after restarting the Roon core (located on a QNAP NAS), my Android tablet or phone can connect immediately.

I tested it for a few days now, and this workaround always works.
But of course it would be easier if I could connect without that manipulation…

Thierry

Hi @Thierry_M ---- Thank you for touching base with me, the feedback and insight are always appreciated!

-Eric