Will a Roon Rock (NUC) recognize a McIntosh MA5300 Ing Amp via USB?

I found a 3 year old thread that hints that unless it’s via Windows or a Mac operating system the MA5300 will not be recognized over USB. But I also found another thread where a user had the MA5300 working attached to a Roon Rock and that a Roon update had broken it.

Can anyone confirm if a USB connection between a Roon Rock (NUC) and the USB-B input on the McIntosh DA1 input works?

Its USB is a digital input and the model is Roon Tested, so I think it should:

https://roon.app/en/partners/70/mcintosh

Thanks. I was unable to find the “partners” page on the Roon site.

1 Like

Yes, strangely there is no Partners link on the homepage or in the page footers. You need to click Compatibility and then one or two clicks from there. Googling Roon + Partners works, too (at least for me). Or go through https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-partner-programs and find the link there. Less straightforward than it maybe could be.

For me, from the menu on the roon.app home page, I see ‘partners’ as the last entry in the about section:

Hallo,
Roon Rock wird auf dem DA2-Modul erkannt. Der USB-Anschluss des McIntosh ist eigentlich nicht mit allem kompatibel. Es gibt Geräte, die mit dem USB-Anschluss des McIntosh nicht stabil zurechtkommen. Ich glaube nicht, dass ein Roon-Update den MA5300 zerstört hat, wenn es das täte, wäre es umgekehrt und der McIntosh kann den DAC / Streamer zerstören. Ich kann nichts über das DA1-Modul sagen, ich habe es immer sofort ersetzt. McIntosh hat jetzt möglicherweise ein Treiber-Update für das DA1-Modul unter Linux, wenn es nicht funktioniert. Probieren Sie es einfach aus.

I don’t have this menu on Safari on the Mac

What do you see under the about menu?

Firefox on Windows:

Ah, right, Partners is there. It didn’t click for me that About would tell me something about the partners. (I guess I tend to go to the links in the page footer, if they are listed, rather than hunting around in menus).

Getting off topic now.

I must admit that I find it strange that most of the links in the menus are also present at the bottom of the page - except the ‘partners’ link.

The other one that is missing appears to be the ‘Visit the Roon Store’ link.

Also, the ‘Blog’ link appears under ‘Resources’ in the menu, but under ‘Company’ at the bottom of the page.

Similarly the links to ‘Valence’, ‘Privacy Policy’ and ‘Roon Mastery Series’ appear in the links at the bottom of the page but not in the menu at the top of the page (where you might expect to see at least two of them in the ‘Resources’ menu).

It appears that this front page could do with some attention.

1 Like

From Google Translate:

Hello,
Roon Rock is detected on the DA2 module. The McIntosh’s USB port isn’t actually compatible with everything. There are devices that cannot handle the McIntosh’s USB port stably. I don’t think a Roon update broke the MA5300, if it did it would be the other way around and the McIntosh may break the DAC/Streamer. I can’t say anything about the DA1 module, I always replaced it immediately. McIntosh may now have a driver update for the DA1 module on Linux if it doesn’t work. Try it out.

1 Like