Will Devialet be Roon RAAT Certified? [done]

Not the input on Devialet the output from a NUC.

I think it will support all bitrates that Roon support so PCM 384kHz and DSD512 but note that DSD512 requires kernel driver recognition of your DAC as ‘DSD native’ capable. Otherwise, the max you will get is DSD256 via DoP.

1 Like

Congratulations

Hm, so we are another months behind the intended delivery of before Christmas 2018 - and still not even a single word of news update etc.
There is so much left like update for broken remote app, firmware update / bug fixes, … but it seems it’s all about pushing Phantom sales only :frowning:

1 Like

I have my Nucleus up and running, connected to my Devialet via Ethernet. It works flawlessly and the sound is sweet. It’s still AIR protocol running through Ethernet, but I quite like it. I presume once full RAAT is integrated, I have to upgrade my Expert 120 to the Expert Pro 220. But I wait till full RAAT is implemented.

So you assume that if they are not continuously updating you about their progress, they are just selling Phantoms? That’s the Devialet owner spirit :slight_smile:

Are you trolling Markus :roll_eyes:

Not really, just reacting badly to the constant whining from Devialet owners.

Actually I tried to find where they said the would deliver before Christmas 2018, but I couldn’t find any. Not to say it isn’t there, but since it’s a cause for distress, I don’t think they should have said even that. I did find this:

“On Expert Pro with Core Infinity, certification of Roon RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) begins this week, enhancing the listening experience on what is already the world’s most advanced music player. In 2019, we will make Expert Pro compatible with the new Devialet app, replacing the current Expert Remote app.”.

To me that sounds good and instead of “not there yet”-updates I just want them to concentrate on making the best release they can and release when it’s ready. And even if you miss your hardware vendors continuous messages, none of that says “it seems it’s all about pushing Phantom sales only”.

They’re are bringing two different software architectures together internally and doing the RAAT thing at the same time. I don’t want them to mess it up and while waiting I’m really happy controlling my Devialet with Roon even if it is without RAAT for now. Music is playing, it sounds awesome and the usability is fantastic (thanks to Roon). Even if there is “still not even a single word of news update etc.”.

But I think my reaction is partly explained by my time at devialetchat forum, which was the most toxic and whiny user community I’ve had the displeasure of being part of. Don’t know how it is now, since it’s been a while. Too bad the spirit seems to be spilling over to other forums.

You certainly do a lot of complaining yourself about other people complaining.

Pot kettle Black me thinks :wink:

Sorry Janne, I’m not having that. Devialet Chat has never been “toxic”. OK there might be a couple of whiners, but you’re going to get that in any forum. Perhaps it’s time to give it another try?

1 Like

Not true at all, they want the thing to be considered as a serious piece of HiFi hardware then moan if it doesn’t get updates as often as an iPhone. They (Devialets) sound fab and the minor software issues do not affect that great sound.

1 Like

I just might if it’s better than before.

But I have to say I found it pretty taxing in 170 days. When the software update that made my 170 a 200 came it was considered bad because “why wasn’t it 200 to begin with” and the last straw was when Devialet offered old customers hardware upgrade (for what I think is a very reasonable price) somehow that was wrong as well and they shouldn’t do that. And during all that every discussion about new features was moaning about how it’s gonna be bad anyways because Devialet will fuck it up.

I think the hardware upgrade program was the best thing yet as (even though I was a fan of Devialet to begin with) the upgrade too the performance to a whole another level. And along the way the phono stage software grew from being pretty fine (=requires an external phonostage) to pretty damn fine (=sold my 4k phonostage).

1 Like

Apart from the ability to group a Devialet amp with other RAAT devices, what do you miss in the current implementation of Devialet Air in Roon? I can’t see a thing I miss today (I own a D200).

3 Likes

It should hopefully bring back visibility of tone control settings etc for
pro owners along with 192k and dsd via WiFi.

Of course, we’re all hoping for a sound quality boost as well though that may be just wishful thinking!

It’s true that RAAT being TDP versus Devialet Air “simply” UDP, it will be more robust especially over WiFi. Fr the tone control settings I don’t know why they disappeared, not a big deal for me but strange.

I, for one love my Expert Pros. But I also think DevialetChat is a great user community. Yes,at times it turned negative but for often for very valid reasons and, ultimately to great effect.

One thing that stands out most prominently for me was the dysfunctional state of Devialet Air before Roon Air was released. Not only was Devialet Air bug ridden, but Devialet support provide little to no support. I do believe the exchange and proactive efforts on Devialet Chat ultimately made a difference.

I’m confident that Devialet will ultimately come through with RAAT and other improvements. I do wish they had a forum to better communicate with customers, but that is simply not in their business model. Given that, not only is DevialetChat a valued forum, it’s the only forum to provide customers a venue to seek help and advice.

2 Likes

I put in a question to Oceane at Devialet last night and within a few hours got a reply from someone called Ginger who said:

“For recent updates, I would like to let you know that we are in the testing phase with Roon RAAT support. We are doing this as a very high priority but we don’t confirm any fixed date.”

They are basically putting Roon at the centre of the new Devialet OS. They say that on their website. They are testing it. You can’t ask more than that.

2 Likes

Hopefully, this will also become the case for the Phantoms. To @Markus_Hubner Devialet focused on Phantoms is a bit overrated. The Phantoms (Premier) got their last firmware update more than 2 years ago. I have other expectations on someone concentrating all his efforts on one thing. I think Devialet works on many fronts and hopefully this ends in something usefull as e.g. Roon compatible, speak RAAT compatible Expert, Premier, and Reactor (and…) lines that can be configured in multi-channel, multi-room, and multi-driver (active speakers) systems. That said I’m enjoying already now with multiple Phantoms and Roon a great UX thanks to RPi and RAAT. Devialet already delivered great stuff, bugs are there, but can be circumvented.

I believe they are moving to the same software platform on all of their devices so that it’d be easy to support and maintain all the same stuff on all their devices. I’m convinced that Phantoms will also become Roon Ready at some point, but they had to do the validation to their flagship line first.

now you all need to push them for Phantom Roon Ready!

5 Likes

I am obviously quite good at that :wink:

1 Like