Will Devialet be Roon RAAT Certified? [done]

RAAT is based on TCP (versus UDP for AIR), eliminating the risk of IP (audio) packet drop or wrong ordering, at cost of (expected slightly) bigger buffer. Sound quality potential improvement depends on « how bad » your LAN was w.r.t to dropping IP packets.

It may or may not sound better, but I think it will be at least as good as Roon/AIR is today. RAAT is very robust. My microRendu has not failed once since I got it in 2016. I do hope that RAAT on Expert amps will bring back the Roon Signal Path display of balance, bass, treble and phase invert. This has been missing since the CI was installed.

If you don’t mind my saying, I think that’s an over-simplified comparison. Even though AIR is based on UDP as you said, it has the capability for re-transmission to handle missing and badly-ordered packets. This is after all more or less what TCP does anyway. Dropped packets at the IP level will not inevitably lead to missing audio samples using AIR (or RAAT), but if the underlying network is bad enough it will at some point lead to audible defects over both AIR and RAAT. (Of course: not necessarily the same defects, and not necessarily at the same point.)

Reassuringly Devialet never delivered anything late…

Oh…

2 Likes

I do miss not being able to see treble, bass and balance settings from within Roon, so would be pleased if RAAT bought these back. SQ and reliability have always been excellent with Roon/Air though, but an increase in SQ would obviously be very welcome!

:rofl:

/10chars

That‘s what would make it special - delivering something on time :smiley:

I don’t think RAAT will bring treble/bass back as it is feature of Air’s protocol, not RAAT’s.

You may be right. In that case it is a pity. I still have hope though. The signalling feedback is there in the first version of Roon/AIR, but was lost when Core Infinity was installed. Volume display and control is still there, however. RAAT is very flexible so it should be possible to transmit messages in ‘reverse’. Volume control will surely be present. We’ll see about the rest…

RAAT (and more specifically the RoonReady SDK) was designed for unlocking device specific features like these. It will depend on Devialet’s implementation for sure, but here’s a Bluesound signal path for example:

1 Like

Sad that there won‘t be a RAAT update this year as intended :frowning:

likely lies on Devialet’s ledger.

Sad, but totally predictable.

The only thing where they constantly deliver / to rely on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m so glad I sold my Devialet.

I’m so glad I didn’t sell my 3 Devialet’s :sunglasses:

3 Likes

And me. Performance outweighs late roll outs and poor communications.

1 Like

I am thinking of getting independent of this Devialet/RAAT thing: I am gearing up to switch to a Roon Nucleus, which means Ethernet in and USB out. Works like a charm with my Devialet Expert 120. I don’t even need to upgrade to CI/Pro versions :grinning:

What are the maximum bitrates from the Nucleus (or I guess a NUC running Rock) that can be output via USB? Does it support DSD?

@Thorsten_Vieth From the Devialet web site: “Devialet Expert products can handle PCM signal up to 24/192 kHz and DSD 64. We implemented DOP (DSD over PCM) on USB since the firmware 8.” Also, this from the website: “To play DSD files, we recommand (sic) you to use the USB capability of your Expert product. In view of the size of content on a DSD format, Devialet Air won’t be able to run a smooth transportation of all informations (sic) which is in a DSD.” That second quote was in an article about Devialet AIR for Expert and Expert-Pro, including a small bit of information about Roon implementation of AIR. I’ve always used Ethernet but may try USB for kicks.