Will local files come to be regarded as being as obsolete as turntables?

100% local files, except for the occasional internet radio station. But no tidal or qobuz.

2 Likes

Same here. Too bad I need the internet to play them (in Roon), might just as well stream and save the trouble.

1 Like

I suspect a lot depends on when you started collecting

Imagine a 21 year old now even bothering to buy physical media , they are being spoon fed a complete “world library” of 70-80 million tracks for $10 a month

“When I were a lad …” you bought it or occasionally (illegally ?) borrowed it.

I have a large digital collection BUT no physical media , no CDs , DVDs, vinyl, even books. I went media-less more than 10 years ago.

That said I can’t envisage an absolute stream only environment , some do though

1 Like

There was nothing quite like dropping a needle on your first copy of sgt pepper. Now we talk about which remix we prefer.

2 Likes

Rats! I was hoping this topic had been closed. As it isn’t I have to put in my $.03 (adjusted for inflation). I like the way vinyl sounds. It’s not better than other source material. But having listened to pretty much all sources I still enjoy the sound of records. I don’t spend much on equipment (I did splurge and replace my 30 year old turntable recently with a Project X2). I buy most of my vinyl at Goodwill these days. Generally Goodwill charges around $3 to $4 per record. That’s less than the cost of a coffee at Starbucks. My point is that listening to vinyl is not restricted to wealthy people who spend big money on equipment. I also subscribe to Tidal (in addition to Roon) and have been known to listen to music on Amazon, too. So not a resolution snob. Some of this discussion reminds me of the digital vs. analog wars from the old rec.audio days. Despite all the arguments by analog and digital proponents both systems exist side by side and have for as long as digital music has been available to consumers. I’ve never understood the problem. If something sounds good to you, listen to it. Recently I was listening to a local NPR station on streaming via Roon. It just didn’t sound right. Sure enough the bitrate on the stream was very low. I powered on my 1980s analog tuner and the sound was immediately better. OTOH I can listen to our local classical music station’s stream as it has a higher bitrate and doesn’t sound edgy (to me). I still prefer the tuner, but it’s not as convenient as Roon. Maybe I should plug the tuner into a ADC and stream it in-house via Roon…???

3 Likes

Thanks for your input, Gary.

Having the ability to pay $3 to $4 per record is kind of high-end, though, compared to free Spotify. A turntable, a place to store it, the amps and speakers or headphones to listen to it, having someplace to keep your records and associated paraphernalia – those all add up. Streaming on a free channel is the music bargain of the century, I think.

Depends what you want , I bought an MP3 yesterday because I wanted the MUSIC

I still love going to the record shop lunchtime and buy at least one physical record a week. Rough Trade Records opened another store in Soho two weeks ago and there are now five different record shops within a mile of each other. I listen to records, CDs, stream and still pay for downloads to support bands. Arc needs you to own downloads to work offline anyway. Streaming quality is good these days but I find it very impersonal and we should really buy the artists product. As long as everyone is enjoying the music…Off to watch Pete Tongs and his orchestra tonight.

1 Like

Bought so many CDs and files over the last few months lots 2nd hand. Listening more to my rips these days to what’s on Qobuz. Fed up with constantly having to replace them as they chanve versions. It’s tiresome, also ditched Tidal again. Use it for finding new stuff now then I add them to my shopping list playlist and remove when bought. I want music I can play when there is no internet and Roon wont work and support the artist where I can.

1 Like

Apple Music for discovery (works off-line), I buy downloads, new & 2nd hand CD’s for keeps.

How is that possible to discover new music offline? does it cache the entire Apple music library locally?

Not sure that turntables will be obsolete anytime soon, and that means nor will vinyl. I have 9 turntables but typically I have only 3 or 4 operational. The last one I bought was a Garrard 401 from the early 70’s which I might add I also had the same model back in the 70’s too.

5 Likes

nah, just the ones you download - as with ARC.

Love the butchers block plinth, that must be so heavy.

And there are people still running tube radios, and hams talking via Morse code. Doesn’t mean that both aren’t obsolete.

That Garrard is a classic – I remember it from the 70’s!

1 Like

32KGs it’s a b!tch to move

1 Like

That’s handy for ya. I’m not a TT guy but am filled with desire and an overwhelming urge to steal it :wink: Very nice indeed.

1 Like

Will go well with your NAD and PSB (if you get them)

Pshaw, only 32kg? And wood? How about 700lbs of granite and steel! :wink:

Ha, I raise you to 330 kg (a bit more than 700 lbs apparently) without its ancillaries. Just half a million dollars as well: