Will Qobuz and Roon ever dance the tango together in my system?

I’ve used Qobuz France, U.S. and now Brazil accounts in both Brazil and Canada (different equipment in both locations) with Roon. The only problems I’ve ever had, which have been few, have been attributable to my network or to routing glitches with my ISPs. Try different DNS services (Google, Cloudflare, Quad9 etc) to see if it helps.

Honestly, why did you open (and still continue) this thread?.. Just to complain?..
Looks like you don’t want to call on help (not even the Roon team).

2 Likes

The only time I’ve had an issue is when there was a bad release (build 953 maybe?) where if I left Qobuz paused for hours, it would never resume and the service was effectively “disconnected”. Restarting Roon resolved that temporarily, and it was resolved permanently by the next maintenance release. Did not see this behavior before or since.

I’ve tried rebooting my Rock server, reinstalling the Rock OS, and logging out of Qobuz. So far, no luck. What’s frustrating was Qobuz was working perfectly on my setup for a few months, maybe more, till an update broke it. Lesson learned and relearned: if it’s working, don’t update Roon! Next time there’s an update and it starts working again, I’ll remember that!

Have you also rebooted your router?

If you haven’t done already do a full reset but do a database back up first. Or rename your Roon server folder after stopping the server and then restart thus creating a new database. Setup just Qobuz and maybe tidal if you use it and see how that goes.

Is your core wired or wireless?

If wireless, have you considered wired?

If wired, have you considered changing the Ethernet cable or the port it is connected to?

Is your core fixed IP or DHCP?

It’s these type of suggestions that make me so glad I kept all my CDs and SACDs. I’ve bought music for over 30 years and never succumbed to the allure of having all my music in the cloud for this one simple reason: things break all the time in the streaming world. Roon reminds me of how web browsers used to be in the early 1990s (Netscape was the first browser I used that crashed every 5 minutes). Streaming software will get better over time. But I’m sure glad I can still play music by inserting a CD or SACD in my player, and not worry about rebooting routers, rebuilding databases, doing kernel updates, rebuilding the server and the N zillion tweaks of the streaming world. My first compact disc bought in 1985 still plays back perfectly.

Your problem is unrelated to all of this. Especially kernel updates if you are not doing anything crazy.

1 Like

Sridhar,
You are not alone regarding this problem with Roon and Qobuz. I have the same problem now with the latest version of Roon and never had this problem before. Also, a friend of mine describes the exact same symptoms. And he also has Tidal and he says he does not have the problem streaming Tidal via Roon. A reboot of Roon (not the MS laptop I have Roon installed on) restores all functionality for about an hour or so again. But then… the whole scenario repeats.
I have Roon Core running on a Windows 10 laptop, fully wired back to my internet router. Roon plays Qobuz just fine for an hour or so and then just ceases to play (interface stays up, but in the “play” bar, I can see the system “scanning” or at least there is a cursor or highlight moving back and forth as if it was searching for something. And as Sridhar mentions, I can play Qobuz directly (without Roon) using that same laptop and I never have a problem. Also, I can play locally stored files just fine on Roon with no problem. So this is definitely an issue involving streaming Qobuz through Roon. And it is a problem that only appeared since the latest build, 970, was installed recently. Now does it only affect Roon installed on Windows machines or do Mac installs have the same problem? Is it a version of Windows that’s the problem or a version of Roon? Are Nucleus and other dedicated music server users having the same problem? The answers to these questions should help Roon Support isolate the issue further.
And absolutely do NOT throw away your SACDs, CDs, vinyl, or tape sources! :<)

Thank you, Jeffrey. Like you, I’m convinced it’s a glitch with Roon having to do specifically in how they stream Qobuz. It does not manifest itself streaming Tidal or high bandwidth files streamed from my Rock server located in my upstairs closet. It’s not a problem with my network, wireless or wired or with my router. I study causal reasoning as a research topic. I’m writing a long technical article on the topic filled with abstruse math. While there could be many causes for why Qobuz is not working, I think I’ve eliminated all of them from consideration but one. As Sherlock Holmes famously told Watson, when you’ve eliminated all other possibilities from your explanation, the one remaining, however improbable, must be right.

Not sure this is required to understand that two separate software platforms with their own roadmaps encounter integration issues.

Why does tidal work better ? Because the platform is older and has been integrated with Roon for longer. Tidal also hasn’t made major data structure changes recently, unlike Qobuz (seperating singles from albums on discography pages).

Qobuz is trying to catch up with the rest of the streaming market, it is inevitable that this will lead to bugs and issues with third party programs.

If you know tidal works and lament that then use that instead.

Alternatively as others have suggested, you could raise a support ticket, if you want it to be investigated.

You make these claims, yet as a scientist (or a fictional sleuth), you have shared no evidence to support either. Statistically, you are incorrect since most users—by orders of magnitude—do not have these problems, myself included.

As previously mentioned, open a support thread if you want assistance. The same goes for @Jeffrey_Wilson.

5 Likes

Would like the reasoning expert take into account with his highly abstruse maths that Qobuz works reliably for many Roon users. Day after day. I am one of those happy Qobuz users. Just wanted to add this little data point to the highly complex issue.

As one completely unencumbered by causal reasoning expertise, but spending much too much time on this forum, I would cautiously say that it seems as if there might be some glitch with Roon’s Qobuz integration, just going by the lately seemingly increased number of users looking for support with such a problem. But, I will emphatically stress that I have not been able to eliminate other possibilities. I am not Sherlock Holmes. This could just be a problem for users with certain platform/networking characteristics, or users in certain regions. So, for Roon to detect possible coincidences between those affected, instead of expertly worded rants a detailed support request would seem to be the best way to a solution.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Roon and Qobuz since Qobuz became available on January 22, 2019, without error. You have a network or Qobuz account issue; there is no “incompatibility”.

What everyone else just said…

I was an early Qobuz beta tester here in the USA and have not had a single issue with Roon/Qobuz integration that I can recall.
Sure there had been Qobuz “outages” but that really has nothing to do with Roon and is out of their control.
There is something else going on here.

2 Likes

Sell your system!

When someone claims to be an expert, I stop reading.

3 Likes

I expected some pushback to my “causal expertise” analogy. Let me explain without the math. Causal reasoning studies the influence of one variable on another in a highly complex system of interactions. The challenge is figuring out whether a change is merely correlation or in fact causal. Causation is a notoriously hard problem. Plato and Aristotle 2500 years ago were obsessed by it. So has every major philosopher since including David Hume and Descartes. Take some of our biggest challenges to society, like climate change. Is man-made activity causing climate change or is it merely a correlation? Does exercise cause weight change? Does going to an Ivy League school cause an increase in one’s long term income?

Let’s try to instantiate this causal framework

So, in a figure: A ———….——> B

Here, B is an unexpected outcome, e.g., Qobuz not working with Roon. What’s A? Ah, as the bard would say, therein lies the rub!

Some suggestions made on this thread for A:

1. A is Roon+Qobuz integration (Jeffrey, me etc.)
  2. A is my router
  3. A is my wireless or wired network
  4. A is my Roon server
  5. A is my Roon endpoint
  6. A is climate change (just kidding!) :grinning:
  7. A is Qobuz is broken

Brief explanation for why understanding causal inference requires some nontrivial math: in short, probability theory or statistics won’t cut it as probabilistic relationships are symmetrical. If P(B|A) is the conditional probability of B’s outcome on A, I can use Bayes rule to get P(A|B). So probability theory is not enough.

Seat of the pants heuristic: if you think A might be a cause, toggle it to see if B changes. For example, if the wireless network is the culprit, then streaming Tidal shouldn’t work. As that works perfectly for Jeffrey and me, we can rule out that A. One can continue this way. Remember for both Jeffrey and me, Qobuz and Roon worked perfectly till the last update. We are not saying that Qobuz never worked, merely it is highly unreliable with Roon.

Therein ends the lesson from this professor. For a wonderful nontechnical book on causality, I highly recommend The Book of Why by my colleague Judea Pearl, who won the Turing Award for his work on causal reasoning ( which is the Nobel prize in computer science). Alan Turing was the British genius whose work in mathematical logic led him to discover what we now call Turing machines (every computer on this planet is a Turing machine — watch The Imitation Game for the other reason Turing is famous — he broke the Nazi Enigma code and saved humanity from tyranny).

Actually…you really can’t.
Streaming either Tidal or Qobuz through their own lightweight apps is not even remotely close in load and bandwidth requirements to streaming them inside of Roon.