Will Rock Nuc Automatically Show Up On Pc

hi
will rock nuc automatically show up on a windows 10 pc in network section or do you have to do something on your pc ?

another question would i need a driver added to rock nuc so i can get audio from my pioneer lx 87 reciever or are the drivers already installed in the rock o/s?

only a few weeks off my first roon experience

The first time round, I needed to enter the network address of the ROCK NUC (i.e. \\Rock\) into Windows Explorer. Then it should show up in the Network:

You will need to install codecs into a new ROCK installation. See step 6 here.

1 Like

hi
i could not see any codecs for audio in the links were as i needed a pioneer driver to play audio from my windows pc to my pioneer reciever does this not apply to rock?

regards
gary

I’m not sure I understand this. If I look at the Pioneer support site, I only see mention of a firmware upgrade for this AVR. Could you give us some more details about what this driver is for, or a link to a Pioneer web site with the details?

hi

it was a asio driver which i had to download from the pioneer website to my pc so my windows pc would output audio to the pioneer usb dac.

here is a paragraph from a review

Audiophile ambitions

The audio side of the Pioneer is equally ambitious. There are several assignable digital and analogue audio connections that should allow hookup to almost anything you could expect to be sat on a rack near the AVR – you even get a moving magnet phono stage, which is a nice touch, although I suspect the number of turntables any given SC-LX87 will see can be counted on the fingers of one knee. Audio processing is handled by an ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC, allowing for all audio to be upsampled to 32-bit/192kHz. Indeed, this resolution can be handled natively – files can be streamed from a computer directly to the SC-LX87 via USB, and Pioneer supplies an ASIO driver to aid this. Another useful sonic treat is Spotify Connect, should you be a fan of the music streaming service.

OK, so it’s a driver enabling connection via USB. Until the latest version of Windows 10, there was no suitable driver installed as part of the OS, so audio manufacturers shipped their own. Linux has had a suitable native driver for years.

As far as I’m aware, a suitable driver is installed as part of the ROCK OS (it’s based on Linux, after all), so it should not be an issue. Not having a Pioneer to test I can’t be definite. All I can say is that my QUAD Artera preamp came with a USB driver for Windows, but I was able to connect it to a Raspberry Pi running DietPi (Linux-based), and it just works.

1 Like

thank you for your reply and clearing things up for me.