Will Roon ARC be carplay compatible? [Delivered ARC 1.0.9]

Ok, so it’s not a total basket case for CarPlay at the moment. The earlier comments about picking up your phone to do stuff wasn’t enthusing me… I mean, the Qobuz carplay app is pretty abysmal, but not quite that bad :wink: I’ll see how I go today, and look forward to a well thought out CarPlay version soon!

TESLA “native” app, please :v::grinning:

4 Likes

CarPlay for Roon ARC would be huge. By this I mean to have good functionality … like searching your library, doing more than play, skip or other basic functions. To have your car recognise the Roon ARC app for starters would be good. My car recognises the Tidal app for example.

1 Like

It’s coming. Today is day one.

1 Like

To create a mobile music app that doesn’t work with CarPlay is ridiculous; using your phone while driving in the UK is a criminal offence, even if it is in a cradle as the video shows. I realise you can use the “Now Playing” feature of CarPlay once your music has started, but that is hardly using “Roon’s most powerful features - without compromise, wherever you are in the world” as the announcement claims. Every major streaming service has CarPlay compatibility, why not Roon?

1 Like

Absolutely +1 for Apple Carplay… I’m getting a new car end of this month, and that would totally top it off! :smiley:

Roon is, in the grand scheme of things, a way smaller company. So that’s why. It just takes them a bit longer, and then the question becomes: launch ARC when it’s available, or launch before carplay is done. I’m glad they opted for the former.

Not that weird, when you think about it right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Only briefly tried the Tidal one too… doesn’t seem that good either. The spotify one was way better already.

But that was during test drive, so when I take delivery of my car end of this month, i’m curious to deep dive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even Tidal has only just recently had a massive update to CarPlay. Basic functions of favouriting/liking a song was missing, along with their radio function.

Android Auto is not the same as Android Automotive. Android Automotive is the OS running directly on the in-vehicle hardware.

Roon please make it Android Automotive compatible too :slight_smile:
But maybe it’s the car manufacturer that controls what is available on their Android Automotive implementation.

1 Like

It was the overblown hype that got to me when the thing clearly isn’t finished. A little humility goes a long way.

fair enough :slight_smile:

sounds great thanks! If I promise not do bitch and complain about the deadline wasnt met…could you then give an indication as to when an update with carplay functionality will emerge…? please?

While not essential for first release, AA and CarPlay are important for further adoption and I hope very high on the ToDo list.
I’m delighted to have ARC, but will stick with PlexAmp until ARC has Android Auto support.
Plex’s implementation of this is superb.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear. Without that, it’s just not safe for the driver to use in the car. Maybe some Siri Shortcuts as well? Otherwise, loving RoonARC.

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to Carplay integration. I think ARC is a great step forward for Roon and provides me with 50% of my mobile needs now, which is fantastic.

Thanks Josh_B. I did not realize this. Looks like I won’t be able to try Android Auto as it requires connecting a USB cable from car to phone. The USB port on my phone doesn’t work (have to wirelessly recharge). Maybe time to get a new phone, though this one is only 2 years old.

Yes, lo voglio!

Totally agree, Marten. Very few seem to manage to make good usable CarPlay interfaces. I don’t know why it’s so hard! I mean, Qobuz couldn’t even manage lists in alphabetical order! I love CarPlay, and wouldn’t buy a car that didn’t have it, or could easily have it, now after my last few cars.

1 Like

Another vote for CarPlay

1 Like