Will Skull Canyon NUC be Rock Ready?

How many Skull Canyon ROCKs are there. Just @Pertti_Saari and @rovinggecko ?

Thinking about taking the plunge next week.

It still runs fine hereā€¦

Runs too hot and costs out too expensive. I donā€™t get the attraction of these machines.

Well, once you have one laying around, it is quite cost effective using it, instead of a new one.
And heat wise, with ROCK, I have no issues.

That said, I would not buy a new one for it.

I have two. One running ROCK and a second one that will run ROCK once I get down to the island.

I bought them as I wanted machines powerful enough so that I could repurpose them to a different use if I wanted to.

MOCK based on Asrock DeskMini 110 + i5-7600 still seems like a better and much cheaper alternative to Skull Canyon.
It is definitely more silent and can also be more powerful if you add a i7-7700.

The point is, some of us already have Skull Canyons.

No-one ever said it was a good idea to buy one specially for ROCK.

If I already had a Skull Canoyn I would also use that. It is only if I was planing to buy a new one I would get the DeskMini it is significantly cheaper and can offer the same or better performance.

If compatibility breaks in the future it is not a catastrophe, because RoonCore on another Linux distribution will sound exactly the same as ROCK contrary to what some want to believe.

The advantage with ROCK is that it is easy to install and there is no maintenance.

do you guys use the skull canyon with thunderbolt drives?

Me not. I use it currently with W10 and USB and will continue to use USB for ROCK.

1 Like

I tried to with W10 and failed. I chatted to the Intel support people and they gave me BS about using the updater and then trying manual loads etc. Nothing worked. USB1 speeds on the Thunderbolt socket. I gave up.

I use a USB/Thunderbolt cable instead on a regular port.

Iā€™ll eventually have to get thunderbolt working on the 7th gen, but this is not giving me confidence in 6th gen skull canyon.

I did a bit of searching for answers; found little but rants about it not working.

The only folks who complain about the skull canyon running hot are the ones who donā€™t own them. We have several clients running them without issues. Intel designed these units, and they are well aware of how hot they run under heavy load. And if the temp is an issue with their CPU. Intel doesnā€™t go on audio forums to learn about whatā€™s best. They have enough know how in house.

Sorry to be beating this old dog. I have an opportunity to buy a Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK at a good price. Has anyone loaded ROCK and was it successful match? If yes, what drivers would I need for Thunderbolt implementation?

Rock does not have thunderbolt support at the moment.

Did you already buy it? If not I would avoid it. Not just because itā€™s not officially supported for ROCK but also because of itself.

It runs very much on the edge, fans often very loud - and they gave up within a year and needed replacing. And when restarting you have to leave it a day to cool down before it successfully boots. (Iā€™ve updated the firmware, no improvement.) Just a poor machine IMO.

The current top supported NUC is half the price and considerably faster in benchmarks.

3 Likes