Will Skull Canyon NUC be Rock Ready?

Its the nice dropbox backup feature that makes me bold :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, install completed.
System status dashboard is ā€˜okā€™,ā€˜okā€™,ā€˜okā€™.

Smooth install.
You need to ensure:

• BIOS is up to date (mine already was)
  • BIOS is set for legacy boot
  • Copy in the ffmpeg file as per the instructions (this was the most ā€˜complexā€™ part :wink: )

It is now restoring the backup from my dropbox which typically takes quite a whileā€¦

So far, so good.

3 Likes

goodluck, dropbox has been giving us troubleā€¦ files accessed via the dropbox API often are getting rejected for copyright violations (that includes cover images!)

Let us know how that goesā€¦

With ROCK is there an alternative? Can you upload the backup from another machine into the ROCK machine and restore like that? If not what is the recommended route?

1 Like

NAS or USB drive

A word of warning about the Skull Canyon i7. It runs very HOT not doing much of anything. On Win10 Pro with just Chrome and Roon remote running the temps stay about 65 degrees C, and when my anti-virus starts a quick scan, temps soar to 95 to 98 degrees C. Iā€™ m thinking that if your going to try to upsample to 256 or higher. Be careful, most components are only rated to 100 to 105 degrees C max. And component life will be shortened drastically. Roon is pretty efficient at upsampling, so might be Ok. But HQP is not very efficient at all and could cook your NUC pretty fast. Just as a data point, my NUC i5 runs about 45-65 degrees C and my Mac Mini i7 dual core, runs about 50 to 60 degrees C upsampling to DSD64 and to DSD128 @ about 60 to 65 degrees C. ROCK should run cooler naturally.

Good luck, will be watching your results, hope for the best.

yah, this is one of the reasons we said no to the i7 NUCs ā€“ however, the 7th gen i7 NUC is much more sane of a device.

Given that ROCK is the highest efficiency way to run a Roon core, I imagine itā€™s therefore the healthiest to use for any computer, especially a hot one.

No issues, just dog slow. Have done this already a few times. Same each time. No rejections (that I am aware off), just takes foreever, such that he pc goes to sleep etc etc.

Iā€™ve ended up just copying it back from dropbox to a nas and restored from there. Much faster.
I guess if you want cloud backup you should backup\restore to a local dropbox folder. So you get local speed and cloud resilience.

That wonā€™t be possible on a ROCK machine though, will it? (Iā€™m asking also because I use OneDrive on my core machine for some audio material I need on both desktop and laptop machines. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s out for ROCK - but I can put the OneDrive folder on another machine on the network.)

Runs like a charm. ROCK doesnā€™t allow to access the stats, but donā€™t expect much difference with the Ubuntu setup I had which was very cool. Looking at the convolution @ 9.3x processing speed, it is quite low on that one cpu, with the rest pretty much idle.

No problems, and I donā€™t expect any.

I am just detecting a lot of envy for my nice Skull Canyonā€¦ sorry, but the excuses donā€™t apply :slight_smile:

(and no, I did not buy it foor Roon, it happened to be the spare hardware I had laying around)

1 Like

Great to hear. Maybe I can finally kiss Windows goodbye. At least on that machine. (Still need it for my touch-screen NUC, I think.)

It would be quite easy I think, there is a dropbox version for linux that would allow using local folders that would be synched up asynchronously.
However, team Roon would need to add this extra piece of software to the ROCK image.
Which means a weigh off of extra functionality versus overhead.

For us ā€™ simple folksā€™, the alternative would be to use a folder on your NAS, and, depending on your NAS, you could have that as a dropbox synched folder.
[edit] on the Synology Nasā€™ Cloudsync should do the trick

I have two M.2 ssd in my Skull Canyon. I used to run them Raid0 when I was using Roon in Win10.
Now in ROCK second M.2 is free.

Internal Music Storage
Format
Not Ready
256GB, SAMSUNG MZVPW256HEGL-00000

When I try to format:

ā€œInternal storage disk could not be formatted. Please try again, or contact support. {ā€œstatusā€:ā€œFailureā€,ā€œexitcodeā€:8}ā€

Any ideas?

that second drive is NVME, which I did not expectā€¦ I have a bug. I need to figure out how to resolve this. Later this week Iā€™ll fix and release a build.

pushed ROCK 1.0.74 w/ fix for NVMe as internal storage

1 Like

17 hrs laterā€¦ Underpromise and overdeliver. :smiley:

2 Likes

Just plain unreliable :wink:

Smooth that upgrade by the way. Just jumped from 71 to 75. Nice

4 posts were split to a new topic: Possibility for ROCK to a partition larger M.2 drive to a Roon drive + other share